PDA

View Full Version : Marine Aquarium Symposium

Scout
05/15/2004, 06:06 PM
Just received this email from Chuck at MASNA. If anyone wants to attend let me know. maybe we could carpool.

Just a heads up for everyone close to Washington. This is looking to be a cool one day event for those interested.

> The First Annual Marine Aquarium Symposium.
> Saturday, June 26th
> 9:00 AM – 5:00PM
> Oakton H.S. Lecture Hall (entrance 5)
> 2900 Sutton Road
> Vienna VA
>
> If you have a Saltwater Aquarium and want to learn how to maximize the experience and the fun of owning it this is the event you need to attend.
>
> 5 SPEAKER SESSIONS
> DISCUSSION PANEL
> FISH * CORAL * SUPPLIES * FOR SALE
> PRIZES AND GIVEAWAYS –
> BIG RAFFLE with prizes you won't believe
>
> This is not just another Aquarium Society Meeting; this is the Capital Area, Aquarium event of the year.
>
> The Event runs all day with a break for lunch. It is a day that will be chocked full of fun and information. People will be bringing frag's to trade with each other. Dr. Mac of Pacific East Aquaculture, Inc., one of the regions foremost coral aqua-culturist and livestock dealers will be there. He will have a large amount of the finest coral to sell to the attendee's of the event. We will have a raffle with prizes that range from live coral to a 90gal All-Glass (reef ready) tank and stand. There will be an opportunity to ask Questions and get answers from the pros. Also you get to make friends with a lot of other people who understand your addiction to this hobby.
>
> THE MAIN SPEAKERS:
>
> *Dr. Bruce Carlson* Former Director Waikiki Aquarium.
> Currently Vice President for Life Sciences at the new Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. This man is a true pioneer in the reef keeping field. He will be talking to us about Coral Diseases and the Fiji- bleaching updates/recovery, Also he will share information about the 2 major export operations down there
>
> *Adam Cesnales.* Current President of PMASI (Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society Inc.). He will be sharing Soft Corals and Xeniidis, care and propagation.
>
> *Joe Burger (JB)* One of the foremost experts on Aquarium Lighting. He will be giving us his Lighting comparisons of 250W metal halide bulb and ballast combinations.
>
> *Dr. Daphne Fautin* is a professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Kansas. She also serves as Curator of the Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center at the university. Dr. Fautin is an expert and author on sea anemones and corals and has been deeply involved in planning for the Census, particularly in the development of an ocean biogeographic information system (OBIS). If you keep a Clownfish with an Anemone (or want to) you need to hear her talk on Clownfish Host Anemone Interactions.
>
> *John Brandt*, MASNA's Industry/Legislation/Ocean Conservation Representative.
>
> There are a limited amount of seats so you need to register soon to guarantee your tickets:
>
> To register go to this link http://www.wamas.org/bp/symp1.htm
>
> Fill out the form, hit the submit button and it will take you to a
> payment page where you can pay with credit card or with a Paypal account.
>
> Prices for the all day event are:
> WAMAS Members Admission $25.00 per person
> Non WAMAS Members Admission $35.00 per person
> Non-Member + WAMAS Membership $45.00 per person
> Lunch served at Symposium $7.50 per person (must be ordered at the
> time of registration)
> Children under 16 (in attendance with a paying parent) free
>
> * details for mailing check
> WAMAS
> P.O. Box 296
> Walkersville, MD 21793-0296
>
> ** Hotel details coming soon. Please check wamas website for details.

Tbor
05/23/2004, 10:39 PM
I would love to, unfortunately I have not 1 but 2 weddings I'm suppossed to be at that day. Bah!

dvlhzdu
06/12/2004, 10:23 AM
Is anyone considering taking the drive? Let me know as I am thinking about going for the day.

Scout
06/12/2004, 11:31 AM
Yeah, might be a blast. Could also do some recruiting there for speakers for the DRC. Anyone else?

Mike

dvlhzdu
06/22/2004, 06:25 AM
Plans have changed and I am unable to attend. Hope you guys have fun.