PDA

View Full Version : Help with older DAS system

Iostream
09/14/2001, 08:30 AM
Wow, I just realized DFWMAS was still around the webpage looks like it hasnt been updated in a while, and though I have been using Reef Central for a while, I just found this board :)

I was reading the previous thread on Shelleys DAS system, and it seems like a single MAG might be a good option to replace the currently dying pump, however I am curious about the skimmer... To put it bluntly the DAS skimmer is useless. It requires constant tuning, even after replacing the stone every 3 weeks. It seems I have to spend tons of time tuning the skimmer every time I empty the cup, and I only get about one cup full every 3 weeks as a result of days of retuning.

My tank is a 70ish Gal DAS system, with the old H39 Filter, I am running a sand bed (about 3 inches on average) and plenty O live rock. Circulation is prvided by the DAS pump, a sweeper (the largest one) and a Penguin 1140. Lighting is 2 48" VHO and 1 36" running on an icecap 660. How can I replace this skimmer? I am really not using the overflow box for anything else except for the heater, so wouldnt mind ripping out the filter if it is required, so long as I can do it with a running tank. Running this tank has gotten me so frustrated with the DAS system it is not funny. I know the new filters are supposed to be better, but I have been told that in order to get the new filter I basically have to drain my tank, which is not acceptable at this time. Not to mention the cost, which I can live with if I have to, but maybe there is something more economical for a 70 gal? What can I do here short of replacing the existing pump with a mag 3?

One last question: Should I be target feeding my open brain coral large chunks? if so, of what? I have been feeding plankton, and I do feed the tank with assorted frozen foods and the occasional OSI spirulena flake.

Current tank stock:

1 Pair of false percs
1 pair of yellow tail blue damsels
1 small Yellow tang (will be moving to my new larger tank next year)
1 pair of cleaner shrimp
1 sand sifting star (will be removed this weekend, Dallas North Aquarium said these were very good for a sand bed:( )
a few small leather corals (from the IPSF 9 for 99)
1 decent sized Pulsing Xenia Colony (2 stalks)
1 colony of Anthelia polyps
2 Mushroom rocks (one red, one hairy)
1 Green Open Brain
Some Tang Haven Red
assorted tiny reef hermits and snails
the amphipod kit (from the 9 for 99)
some sandbed clams (from the 9 for 99)
some tiny stars (from the 9 for 99)
6 bristle worms (from the 9 for 99 which I am sure the SS star has eaten by now :( )
tons O different annoying algaes.

Any other advice is alway appreciated as well. there is always something new to learn.

thanks,
Iostream

Brad Ward
09/15/2001, 11:27 AM
Iostream,

We are still around for sure. Come and join us at a meeting sometime. And please don't judge us by our web site, it is outdated and needs a lot of work. Can't seem to get it going.

You know, there is nothing wrong with running your tank w/o a skimmer, but you have to compensate for nutrient export in other ways. Less bioload of fish, water changes and growing and harvesting Algae are different ways of doing this. If you still have the DLS filter roll in the compartment, I would suggest removing it. It is unnecessary when using rock and sand.

Target feed the open brain. I would just use a turkey baster with some small pieces rather than chuncks.

hth,

Brad