PDA

View Full Version : SEABay meeting, Saturday, May 15th 7 PM

reefkeeper1
05/12/2004, 04:06 PM
Mary Middlebrook on

"Inside the Marine Ornamental Fish Trade - The Good ... The Bad ... & the Ugly "

May 15th , 2004 at 7PM

Abstract of Presentation: Cyanide use is rampant in the Philippines and Indonesia despite attempts from various organizations to clean up the trade. One missing component has always been the nets- along with proper trainings, follow up, and incentives to use nets instead of cyanide. This talk will discuss the how the cyanide trade currently operates and how the practice is finally being tackled one net at a time.

Mary's Bio : Mary Middlebrook is the owner/operator of Marine Specialties International and Seacrop. She has been in the saltwater industry since 1989. She graduated from Texas A&M University at Galveston with a BS in Marine Biology. Mary has had varied experiences within the field, as pet shop owner, biological technician for the National Marine Fisheries Service, and worker for several wholesalers prior to starting her own family operated wholesale business in 1999. Their business currently has three buildings on over 18,000 sq. ft. of land on the California coast, with two 1800 sq. ft. greenhouses dedicated to coral propagation in progress. Mary is an industry reform activist that has previously served on the board of directors for both the American Marinelife Dealers Association and the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC) from 2000-2002. She was on the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA) board from 2001-2002.

http://www.seabay.org

Directions to Meeting (http://www.seabay.org/_directions.htm)

bookfish
05/13/2004, 06:36 PM
Eddie has asked me to transport his generous donation of gift certificate(s). What a guy!-jim

Reefcherie
05/14/2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by bookfish
Eddie has asked me to transport his generous donation of gift certificate(s). What a guy!-jim

:dance: Cool!! We will have donated frags (I've got a bunch) and several gift certificates then as well as an excellent speaker!

Cheri