PDA

View Full Version : Help with Pink Skunk floating

postenje
09/12/2001, 08:47 AM
I have a few day old 10 gallon with about 10 punds of very well cured live rock (6 months in store tank and covered in mushrooms and polyps). When I turn out the lights the fish seems to just about give up. He goes to the top and just floats. As soon as I turn the light back on he recovers and swims back down to the cover of the live rock. He is eating very good though.

I also have a 1 blue legged hermit that seems to be doing fine along with all the mushrooms and polyps on the rock.

I had to leave the light on all night last night for fear of losing the little guy. How is this going to affect the mushrooms and other stuff?

my numbers are as follows.

sg- 1.024 with Sea Test hydrometer

temp- 80

ph- 8.0 (?) This is a guesstimate. Aquarium Pharm. kit isn't the easiest to read. I know this needs to come up but what should I use? Without going into too much detail I am not really able to go to a pet store at the moment.

everything else is 0.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jeff

postenje
09/12/2001, 09:56 AM
Please.. anyone have any ideas?? Anyone else have a pink skunk? Do they "rest" or play like this? I have not heard of anything simliar to this. Thanks

Jeff

StrikeThree
09/12/2001, 10:59 AM
Does this happen immediately after you turn off the lights ? Sounds like shock to me. If this is a new tank, even the most cured live rock should have some die off in transport to your tank, and in a ten gallon could affect your amm. levels pretty significantly. When was the last time you checked your levels ? What does "everything else is zero" include ? Maybe your fish is bordering on breaking due to other issues and the shock of going from bright light to nothing may be pushing it over the edge. What kind of light do you have over the tank ?

Good Luck,

Brian

StrikeThree
09/12/2001, 11:00 AM
Another thing, how does it "float" ? On its side, moving in a waving motion, or belly up completely still ? Right side up ?

Brian

postenje
09/12/2001, 11:06 AM
my ammonia levels and nitrite and nitrate are all 0. Just checked them a few hours ago (couldn't sleep). The rock was out of the tank for maybe 10 or 15 minutes (drove straight home).

He floats on his side. Can't remember which one.

my lighting is just a 15W NO with a 10,000k bulb.

So if it is shock what can I do? Do I just continue to leave my light on for a couple more days?

Thanks

Jeff

postenje
09/12/2001, 01:58 PM
I managed to scrounge up a night light. I turned off the tank light and just have the night light on near the tank. He is not floating but doesn't seem to be as lively as when the main light is on. I rechecked my peramaters and they are as follows.

Ammonia is up to .35 or so I am guessing (kinda in between colors)

ph is 8.2

Nitrite and Nitrate are still at 0. All the test are Aq Pharm.

sg is 1.024 at 80 degrees (using a SeaTest hydrometer)

my skimmer (modified skilter 250) is producing skimate

all my mushrooms seem to be doing good and my crab is wondering around a little.

I was just thinking that maybe I should have posted this in a different forum. Should I ask to have it moved or is it OK?

Thanks yet again for any help

Jeff

StrikeThree
09/12/2001, 03:33 PM
My clowns tend to settle and go into a steady "waving motion" on their sides when the lights go out - but they do not float to the top. I would watch the ammonia though. .35 is not zero, and it sounds like you are just starting your cycle, which may or may not go well for the fish. If you can find someone to take care of it while your tank cycles that may be the best route.

Good luck-

Brian

Tadashi
09/12/2001, 04:18 PM
Fish will move towards the water surface for better oxygen exchange when the water parameters are out of wack. YOu need to find out the source of the ammonia. It is toxic in small amounts. You should have 0.

Your tank is starting the cycle. Even with cured LR you will experience some type of cycle. I would take the fish back to the store until the cycle is complete to avoid risking the fish. You can probably speed up the cycle with the bottle bacteria or just wait a few weeks for nature to take its course.

postenje
09/13/2001, 11:27 AM
Good advice. I will take him back for a few weeks. The store has a few empty tanks so it shouldn't be a problem. I now know should have waited longer (much longer) before purchasing the fish. I have read most of the books and lurk here daily. I just got a little antsy. The problem was I convinced myself that the if I bought very well cured LR that I would be OK with the biological filratioin and not have a bad cycle. I was wrong and having a very small tank is just compounding that fact now. Now I know and I won't rush ANYTHING ever again.

I also noticed last night that I have a little die off on the rock (turning white). I am gonna get another light on there soon.

Thanks for all the help.

Jeff