PDA

View Full Version : Old Castle Multipurpose Play Sand

egross
05/06/2004, 12:09 PM
I've been searching for sand for my new tank, and I found some Old Castle Multipurpose Play Sand at the Kmart in Robinson. Does anyone have any opinions on this - is it the same as Tropical Play Sand, or Southdown etc? It doesn't say anything about being silica free or Carribean on the bag.

I tried calling Old Castle, but that didn't go very well (transferred too many times to count). I know they make Southdown, but I also read to avoid Multipurpose sand. It was also really cheap ($3.33/40lbs) and that also made me suspicious. I've been to every HD in the area, and I'm ready to give up on the sand altogether!

Thanks!
Elisa

Steven Pro
05/06/2004, 04:01 PM
You can buy a bag and test it to see if it is aragonite. Pour a little bit of vinegar of a cup of sand and see if it bubbles or not. If it does, it is calcium carbonate based. If not, it is silica.

egross
05/06/2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks Steve. I didn't think it would be that simple.

I have a small quantity of Tropical Play Sand, so I did a comparison and the Multipurpose Sand did not bubble at all and the Tropical Sand bubbled alot. So, I guess that mystery is solved (it's not the right stuff).

If anyone knows where I could find the right stuff, please let me know.

Thanks again,
Elisa

davetkoch
06/16/2004, 03:53 PM
Well, I just spent 45 mintues trying to find Old Castle or similar equivalents in the Pittsburgh area with no luck.

I was wondering if anyone can update me on the latest status of finding cheap Caribbean sand in the area, since I'm moving the tank and will be taking the opportunity to change out the sand bed. Thanks!

Bill King
06/16/2004, 05:14 PM
Remember, if you are looking at Home Depot, they have it in the garden section, not with the cement & play sand.
Bill

davetkoch
06/16/2004, 05:19 PM
I was calling around and no one seemed to see it in stock. Maybe I'll take a trip out to the North Fayette HD and see for myself.

Any other places you could recommend?

Dude
06/17/2004, 11:02 PM
Dave make when u go there DO NOT tell them what it will be used for.

davetkoch
06/19/2004, 03:43 PM
Haven't had a chance to get out there after calling around the area, but don't worry--I'm not one for spoiling good secrets. ;) :D I am going to see if I can get any transferred from another store, though, if they don't have any hidden in the store.

I'll post again if I have any luck finding any in the area.

*BTW I did speak with an Allison Park HD employee who happens to be a freshwater enthusiast. He spent an extended period of time with me on the phone searching that Home Depot with no luck. He is, however, now greatly interested in starting a Saltwater tank. :strooper: