PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone know how to install a car amp?

Red Sea Purple Tang
05/05/2004, 01:30 PM
I have a small amp I want to put in my Toyota, however, I have no idea how to do that....any takers?

SoupySteve
05/05/2004, 07:08 PM
VEEEERRRRY simple man! Is the stereo in your car the factory one - or is it an aftermarket deck? Does it have RCA pre-outs? Worst case scenario: factory deck - may take a few hours. Best case scenario: aftermarket deck w/ RCA pre-outs - coulld take less than two hours.
Basically, to have the amp RUNNING, you need to connect three wires to the amp - a ground, a "constant power" wire (like from the battery), and an "ignition" wire that you'll connect either to your deck or to your fuse box (this will tell the amp when to turn on).
After these three are connected, you'll have to get input from the deck into the the amplifier. If you have RCA pre-outs on your deck (and the proper holes on the amp), you just plug them in. If there are no RCA pre-outs it gets considerably more complicated. You'll have to either run the wires from your deck that would be running to your speakers into your amp (this MAY involve a few adapters that you can probably get at Wal-Mart or Car-Fi for less than $20).
After you have the amp powered up and it's connected to the deck, you then have to connect your speakers to the amplifier. Not too big of a deal there, either.
If this just confuses you, I apologize - it really isn't too tough. Maybe if I ever get into the reefkeeping hobby enough to buy a Ca Reactor you could help me with it - they boggle my mind!
If you don't have your amp up and running by Saturday night or Sunday morning/afternoon, let me know - I'll swing by and try to give you a hand or two.

lil'salty
05/05/2004, 11:39 PM
i can hook it up as well