PDA

View Full Version : I have moon light.

reewik
05/05/2004, 12:45 PM
I went to Lowes and bought a 6 ft blue rope light. I realize this is not the same as the moon lights they sell although it looks really cool. You can observe the night life for a mere 6 bucks.

Has anyone ever done any research on the moon lights?

SRA4031
05/08/2004, 11:30 PM
How is the light rope doing. Got pics?

reewik
05/09/2004, 07:33 AM
They are very hard to take as my camera has a hard time in low light situations. The lights look great though.

Fullertime
05/11/2004, 02:16 AM
I built my own moon lights from Blue LED's. It turned out very cool and was right at the moon spectrum 465 nm.

I paid $3.99 per light at Radio Shack for 6 lights but have recently won an auction on EBay for 100 Blue Leds for a mere $3.49+shipping!!!!

I should have a ton left if any body wants a few to experiment with!
Let me know

Fuller

EvilMel
05/12/2004, 02:26 PM
So how many LEDs would you place around the tank and where will you put them? This is gonna sound hella stupid, but they don't go inside the tank do they? This is to simulate star-light?

Fullertime
05/12/2004, 04:31 PM
I put 1 every 4 inches. In 2 rows. So if your tank is 48" it would be one row of 12 Leds in the front and one row across the back. for a total of 24 lights.

It sounds like a lot but the moon spectrum is dark. It looks extremely cool too!!! I have found that my fish sleep better with the lights on and the Sebae also expands more in the blue light.

Keep in mind, there is a difference between a blue spectrum and a blue light. If you use a "party" bulb, your getting a daylight specrtum filtered through blue color. Its great for humans to see stuff at night but It will drive some fish crazy and make them restless. The Blue Led's however, are actual moon light spectrum. Approximately 465 nm. This simulates real moonlight and in some cases is a catalyst for spawning. In others, it can put your fish in the mood!

I use it for both the fish and to see things at night. You could use less light if you wanted. Some people mix blues and reds which can be pretty cool too. The red is a slightly longer wavelength. I think like 600nm or something?

Good Luck

Fuller

reewik
05/13/2004, 09:31 AM
Where do I get the nm or how do I measure it.

Fullertime
05/13/2004, 09:17 PM
You would need special equipment to actually measure the Nanometers yourself, but all LEDs are listed on the box. Other lights with short wavelengths would be too probably.

Fuller