PDA

View Full Version : on flame wars..

Vilas
09/10/2001, 09:02 PM
I had this written out to post elsewhere, but that didn't work out, so I figured it was appropriate enough like this.

People, if you want to avoid being flamed, let's excersize some thought.
This is America. We are lucky enough to live in a country that allows us to believe whatever we will. I can believe that all people who are double jointed are the spawn of the devil, and no one will come for me, unless I decide to act on that.
We are able to think what we will, to debate this, to have forums to talk about it.
We cannot, however, tell someone not to get angry when I say broadly that all people who can bend the tip of their finger are evil and wrong.

I'm probably the most liberal person on this board. Those regulars here can tell that. However, my closest friends in real life and here online are completley on the opposite side of the political spectrum. Are they wrong? Absolutley not. Am I? No, I don't think so either. Debate, discussion, and thinking about it is what makes us all strong. Voicing our opinions and explaining them to tough questions is what makes us think about them critically.

Flame wars are not this. Remember, if you will, a surprisingly respectful discussion about religious beliefs a while back among people with all kinds of beliefs. That's what I mean. Saying someone is wrong, inept, or evil, will only cause tempers to flare up.

What I'm saying here is that perhaps we all need to step back and remember that everyone else here are all basically the same as we are. We're just trying to live our lives, do what we feel is right, and talk about what how we feel.

oof, long post. SORRY! :) And yes, I'm double jointed.
C

Mako
09/11/2001, 12:00 AM
Double jointed!! Spawn of Satin for sure. :D

Well said Vilas. It is often difficult for one to step back and realize that their opinion, or view on a matter, is just that.....theirs. It's too easy to get caught up in ourselves and go on a mission to prove our point of view is the right view. Tis a wise person who can accept anothers viewpoint with a smile all the while knowing it's wrong in some aspect.

filishy
09/11/2001, 07:10 AM
Excellent Vilas!

Thank you.

Mary.

dc
09/11/2001, 09:56 AM
You are absolutely right. I am guilty of course. The idea of knowing you should shut up and it connecting with your brain doesn't always compute. I TRY to avoid topics that I know will annoy me. Not always successful.
:(