PDA

View Full Version : Snorkling in Cozumel

TurboBrett
09/10/2001, 11:40 AM
I will be going to Cozumel in a couple of months and will be snorkling for the first time in my life.
I currently wear very light prescription glasses (dont have contacts) and do not have any gear for snorkling.
Here are some questions I have for the great minds of reef central:
1. What is a good beginner mask for a 7 3/4 hat wearing head that needs prescription lenses?
2. Good beginner snorkle?
3. Where to go in Cozumel?
4. Great place to find snorkling info on the net?
5. Is it illegal to take a pound or so of live sand home?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Brett Wilson

billsreef
09/10/2001, 10:48 PM
Hi Brett,

[welcome]

For a mask, the best bet is to go to a dive shop and try some on. A decent shop will help you find one that fits properly. Snorkels are relatively simple, just be sure it is a wide bore (1") and not one of those narrow kids types.

You mention prescription lenses...are you near or far sighted? If mildly near sighted the magnification effect of the water will correct that for you. However if you somewhat worse and will walk into walls without your glasses (I have that problem :D ) than you will need a mask fitted with prescription lenses to truly enjoy the diving. This is something best done at a good dive shop.

The only snorkeling I've done in Cozumel was with a dive boat and dive master, was a worthwile expense. Much of reef is in shallow water close to shore and can be acessed from the front of several hotels. Just remember, this is a drift diving mecca, meaning the current runs strong.

Umm, you might be able to bring back some "wet beach" sand (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean ;) ) as a memento, but I think that "live" sand might be a problem.