PDA

View Full Version : So, why do some Clowns throw sand?

BamBam
09/10/2001, 01:11 AM
I am just darn curious about this... My Tomato clown will shuffle sand around a bit. Thankfully it isn't a problem (yet) and is almost endearing (probably because it isn't a problem).. but I want to know, WHY do they do this?

Some observations:

1) Bambam ONLY stirs the sand in the area he sleeps in (he does sleep on the substrate... freaked me out, at first). Leaves the sand in the rest of the tank alone.

2) When I have certain lights on in the room, sometimes a "mirror" will form in that same area, and he will spend some time threatening the horrible clownfish that is looking at him. You know, doing a little "wiggle" dance. Sand shuffles often, but not always, tend to take place around the same time.

Is this a breeding type thing? Imitation of fanning eggs? He is by himself ... no clowns or other fish in the aquarium, and no anemone or comfy corals. Don't know if he is female or male, but he is probably about two to two and a half inches in size.

I am so curious! I just adore my little goober and plan on keeping him around for a long, long time.
:rolleyes: