PDA

View Full Version : 10-01-2001 Meeting Frag/swap

bahrhoops
09/09/2001, 10:00 AM
Hi guys - good news ! I talked it over with my wife and Brian Conger and our next meeting will be here at my place in New Brunswick on Monday October 1st.

Time : 7:00 - 9:00 pm
Place : 239 Livingston Ave New Brunswick ,NJ
located above the Crabiel Funeral home
Just a night we can all get together again and trade frags ect..
I also have a well established 55 gal show tank and a 30 gal breeder in the house you can check out -
we will be serving a few snacks as well

I would love to get a speaker or a reef tank photography demo , any suggestions/ voulonteers ?

Please email me if you plan on attending at bahrhoops@aol.com , or just post it in here , also feel free to respond on this thread if you plan on bringing anything to trade or have further input. As for myself - I recently helped break down a friend's tank and I am saving extra corals as giveaways for the meeting , mostly just zooanthids , mushshrooms ect. I have an Octobubble here and some orange Montipora digitatta frags as well If anyone wants it.

Below are some directions from different parts of the state , or you can go to Mapquest.com and just plug in your address and mine.
thanks and hope to hear from some of you - Steve Bahr

DIRECTIONS FROM NORTH JERSEY:

take turnpike south to exit 9 , RT-18 New Brunswick
after toll take a right to merge onto RT-18 north
drive 2 miles and get off at New St. ramp into New Brunswick
drive thru 2 lights on New St, on 3rd light make a left onto Livingston Ave .
drive about 3/4 miles (3 lights) on Livingston , our place is on the right hand side of the street - a big green house , 239 Livingston , there is a large sign outside that reads "CRABIEL PARKWEST". go into first driveway and park in the lot around the back. walk up the handicapped ramp and that door will be open , let yourself in and go right upstairs .
The Funeral Home will be closed for business that day and the downstairs will be vacant.

DIRECTIONS FROM SOUTH JERSEY

take turnpike north to exit 9 , RT 18
follow directions from NORTH JERSEY at this point

DIRECTIONS FROM WEST JERSY/ RT. 287

take Route 287 to exit 9 RT. 514 twoards Highland Park / Rutgers U.
drive on 514 about 3 1/2 miles and take a right at the light to Metlars Lane /RT 18 south
Drive 1 1/2 miles on RT 18 south and take Burnet St. exit into New Brunswick
take first right off of ramp onto Richmond ST
take left at the end of Richmond street onto Nielson ST.
take first right at light on Nielson to New St.
go thru one light and take a left at second light onto Livingston Ave
Once on Livingston Ave , drive about 1 1/2 miles (3 lights)
Our place is one house in after Sanford St. on the right hand side of the street. there is a large sign that reads "CRABIEL PARKWEST" out front . Thats 239 Livingston Ave - a big green house.
drive into driveway and park around the back in the lot.
walk up handicapped ramp and the door will be open , let yourself in and walk upstars .
The funeral Home will be closed for business that day so the downstars will be vacant.

DIRECTIONS FROM SHORE POINTS

take the Parkway North to RT. 18 North
continue on RT 18 North thu East Brunswick and over the Turnpike
follow direction from North Jersey at this point.

Once again , take a look at Mapquest. com for further directions or just email me at Bahrhoops@AOL.com and I can give you a call if you need further help.
WE HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM UP HERE AND WE HOPE TO HAVE A GOOD TURNOUT ! :) :)

ATLANTIS
09/12/2001, 02:55 PM
I want to thank Steve for hosting this next meeting.

I have worked out some issues and I will be doing an Aquarium Photography Presentation at the meeting.

Hope to see you all there.

kennerd
09/13/2001, 01:46 PM
Would love to make it, but I have a trip planned. We'll see how that goes, though, since we're to leave on the 29th of Septe to Napa Valley via San Fran....still a little creepy, wouldn't you agree?

If the trip gets cancelled, count me in! Hey, Steve: did you get my message about the ricordia?

volk23
09/14/2001, 11:14 AM
Steve, i'll be there. Beer is ok as a ticket?

bahrhoops
09/14/2001, 09:26 PM
Brian : I'm excited about the photography demo your planning for the meeting !
Ken : I never got your ricordia message , and yes the NYC bombing has been very deflating to us all :(, I was even considering cancelling the meeting - but maybe something like this is what we need to help us pull out of mourning , tonights candlelight display seemed to bring spirits up in our neighborhoods.Your welcome to attend in the event your flight is cancelled.
Uri:Feel free to bring a six-pack and It will be nice to see you again.
Everyone else - please come over and hang out for a while , your all welcome and my fish will be happy to see you ! :)
-steve

Aquariust
09/15/2001, 09:40 PM
Well count me in! Hopefully at least! My car decided the transmission should break on my way home from vacation this week:( I'm in the process of getting my wifes car on the road. If I can do it by the 1st I'll be there.

Steve thanks for hosting the meeting!

I don't know if I'll have anything to trade but I'm more than happy to come and have a good time. I'll bring chips and dip!

Hope to see everyone there...

-John

JerseyReef
09/19/2001, 07:05 AM
Dang! I'm getting married that weekend! :(

Do you think the wife would mind if pushed our wedding back a week? :D

ATLANTIS
09/19/2001, 07:14 AM
Jersey,

Do yourself a favor, come to the meeting instead :)

Reefkeeping is cheaper in the long run!!! :eek:

Or

you can say "Honey, I have a great honeymoon idea......"

katspaw
09/19/2001, 11:41 AM
Steve,
I will be there. ;) And since I don't drink beer, Coke cola okay. :D

Tracey

Aquariust
09/19/2001, 04:51 PM
anyone have an angel?

I have some frozen angel sponges from formula 1 sitting unused in my freezer.

Let me know and I'll bring it.

Nagel
09/26/2001, 07:21 PM
Ok, I start my NEW job on Oct 1st, so as long as that all pans out and I get out at 5 like I expect to, I will attend. If I get out later, then either I will be late, or possibly not make it (I doubt it)

I will be bringing a few things to trade :) I wanna increase my diversity, and start building my collection that will eventually make it into my under-construction 75g reef.

small frag of anthelia from IPSF (6 or so hands on it, but it grows fast)

A few unmounted orange polyps.

a TINY frag of my solomon island green polyps. There's only 3 or so in a TINY piece of rock, but they will grow fast enough.

And if someone expresses an interest, I could bring a stalk or two of the BEAUTIFUL pulsing xenia I got from Jimroth. I wouldnt feel right bringing it if nobody wants any (because of stressing it)and we all know how poorly xenia ships so.... take advantage. Let me know. It would be unmounted, I would just clip or peel a few stalks off when I got in from work. It only takes a few hours for it to attach anyway :)

ps. Aquariust, aren't you from North Jersey? If you are and need a ride, I may be able to help ya.

Lookin forward to this one as the last meeting got messed up for me by my LAST job. Hopefully the new job will be much better. :)

See you guys there!

kennerd
09/27/2001, 09:14 AM
Hey, kids.

Well, the trip was postponed, which doesn't really bother us too much. Now we will be able to extend our plans when it's rescheduled, and get to see some friends and clients in SanFran. Things were so hectic over the past few months, we never got a chance to make the arrangements, but now we can!

OK, I started dart season last week, and we have another match this coming Monday, which I may not even be able to get to either. Count me out his round, though.

A few other things:

I have a few friends in the NJ area that I have met/traded/corresponded with in the freshwater planted tank arena, who are now considering the reef thing. I mentioned the club and the meeting, so if they contact anyone, please let them pop in. They are both very involved in Amano japanese-influenced aquascaping, and tank photography, and their names are Vincent & Zach.

I figured, that even though they do not have reef tanks set up currently, they would be interested in, and have some input into Brian's photo discussion. I'll find a link to Vincent's site.

Barhoops: Re: the ricordia:I found a fellow that has ornages, blue/greens, etc. and was willing to ship a few, but that was the week prior to this whole mess in NYC. I backed off, given the shipping dilemna. I'm still interested in a single or two of yours, but will have t hold off for a bit, I guess.

Have a good tiime, all.

Nagel
09/27/2001, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by kennerd
They are both very involved in Amano japanese-influenced aquascaping, and tank photography, and their names are Vincent & Zach.

Now those are some GREAT FW planted tanks! I love Amano's zen-like quality, and choice and placement of plants. I've tried to come close with a few of my FW tanks, but I can't compare to Amano. But it's still something to talk about. I'd love to meet 'em.

kennerd
09/28/2001, 04:38 PM
Here's the link to Vincent's tanks. GREAT stuff..and he's fanatical about keeping to the amano style foundations and rules.
You all should check them out.

Vincent Chan's Planted Tanks (http://209.208.139.245/aqua_home/vchan/aqua_Home_Gallery.htm)

katspaw
09/30/2001, 02:10 PM
Ken,
I couldn't view the site :( Oh well, I will look foreward to talking to him at any rate. I will see everyone tomorrow. Can wait. Anyone interested in a trade of some type. Let me know.

Tracey

Nagel
09/30/2001, 09:04 PM
No takers for my offerings? If not, then I will leave them in the tank (no sense in stressing the poor little guys).

I'll be checking back on this board about 6pm tomorrow night, and if there's no replies, I'll just bring a 6-pack of my buddies "Red Tail Ale", a great micro-brew from Saratoga.

bahrhoops
10/01/2001, 04:15 AM
Nagel ,
I would be interested in your orange polyps, not sure what they are but I have 30 new gallons to stock so I'm sure they will find a home. I have an octobubble , Montipora digitatta , and some unmounted zoanthids and mushrooms to trade , i also have some large green-brown warty shrooms .
-steve

volk23
10/01/2001, 08:35 AM
is anyone gonna bring frags to trade, if yes, can you list what you will bring?

if its not too late :bum:

ATLANTIS
10/01/2001, 09:01 AM
Volk,

Good Idea, and not too late....

Perhaps people should just plan on bringing frags that they would like to trade and see what happens.... If everying bring some frags.. then there will be some trading ;)

PS...

I will bring some live sand for those of you who gave me sand at the BBQ to improve the live sand diversity.

jimroth
10/01/2001, 09:12 AM
I'm gonna Try to bring the following:
Metallic Green Star Polyps (lots)
Other Star Polyps
Pulsing Xenia (lots)
Yellow/ Green Montipora (couple)
Orange Montipora (couple)
Sand Sample
Golden Pearls if people want to try some (Yeah, great, little baggies full of suspicious powder. Hope I don't get pulled over.).

kennerd
10/01/2001, 09:34 AM
Here's the exact link to Vincent's page. See if this works:

http://209.208.139.245/aqua_home/vchan/aqua_Home_home.htm

katspaw
10/01/2001, 10:38 AM
Okay guys,

I don't have much fragged out right now, i do have a green hydrophora frag that I will bring if anyone is interested in trading. :)

See Ya'll tonight
Tracey

Aquariust
10/01/2001, 02:27 PM
OK I'll be there tonight! It is tonight right??? Still in plan?

Frags I will be bringing:

1 red shroom
1 small zooanthid frag
1 Bulleyes eye/frilly shroom
maybe some live sand

What is everyone packaging them in? I have some small rubbermaid cups with lids. See ya's there...

Nagel thanks for the offer but I'm more like central NJ. Right outside of Trenton:)

Nagel
10/01/2001, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by bahrhoops
Nagel ,
I would be interested in your orange polyps, not sure what they are but I have 30 new gallons to stock so I'm sure they will find a home. I have an octobubble , Montipora digitatta , and some unmounted zoanthids and mushrooms to trade , i also have some large green-brown warty shrooms .
-steve

Hey then, bring the mintopora digitata. I'll make sure I bring some extras too.

Jimroth, I have also a few for you (to replace those that disappeared behind the rockwork)

See you there. Now I gottago so I can pack up my goodies.

Till then....

Erik

Nagel
10/01/2001, 11:05 PM
Well, what a great turnout! It was nice to finally be able to put some faces to the names. BTW I just got home about 30 mins ago (11:30pm), and I didn't stay much longer then the rest of you. I got my new frags in the tank, and I'm looking forward to seeing them all open when I get home from work tomorrow.

First, thanks to bahrhoops for hosting the event. Very nice place you got there, lots of room. And some nice tanks to boot! Also be sure to thank your wife for us, the food was delicious.

Next, thanks to Brian for his presentation on reef-tank photography. I think we all learned a little bit from his presentation, regardless of our skill levels.

Finally, thanks to all of you guys (and gal) who came. It was great meeting with you all, and being able to increase our diversity with frags from fellow reefers really makes this hobby worthwhile. Yeah, you can go out and buy 'em too, but I kinda like being able to say I got this one from so and so, and that one from so and so, etc... It kinda gives a little more history to our tanks I think, and definately makes 'em more personal.

Once again, GREAT NIGHT people, thanks for making a normally boring monday night something FAR different then the norm.

-e

ATLANTIS
10/01/2001, 11:15 PM
OK,

Who can name everyone?

http://www.atlantisaquatic.com/images/clubpic.jpg

Nagel
10/01/2001, 11:37 PM
I can get most. From the right hand side:

Rovert, Atlantis, Nagel, Jimroth, Spikey (sp?), Aquariust, ??? (back), volk23 (middle), I believe it was Vincent in the foreground, Bahrhoops, and Katspaw.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and don't take offence, I had to learn ALOT of new names today between the meeting and it being my first day at my new job.

katspaw
10/02/2001, 07:28 AM
Okay I will try my hand at naming everyone, I am sure that you will correct me if I am wrong.:p

from the top left to right :
Steve, Tony, Johnny, Jim, Brian, Rovert
next row:
Tracey, Volk,Larry, Eric
sitting:
Gerald

volk23
10/02/2001, 08:43 AM
just wanted to thank Steve and everyone who came for good time and conversations. Nagel and Jimroth for free frags thanks a lotm i'll get you next time. Brain for the picture and little presentation v2.0 :)

Hey im not the shortest guy !! :D

Spykey
10/02/2001, 09:41 AM
I'd like to thank bahrhoops (Steve?) for having us over to his place and showing off his awsome tanks. It just goes to show bigger is not always better. I want to also thank Aquarist, and JimRoth for the frags and Brian for the presentation.

Volk23 - What's so wrong with being the shortest guy?:D

volk23
10/02/2001, 10:39 AM
:) nothing, you just took my title ;)

jimroth
10/02/2001, 11:29 AM
Hey, you're welcome guys. And my thanks to Nagel for those polyps. Pretty generous with the polyps there, guy, I'll try and not lose this bunch! Rob, the frags are looking great, just have to find the right spot for 'em...
And thanks, of course, to Steve for his wonderful hospitality.

bahrhoops
10/02/2001, 04:38 PM
I can't tell you guys how exciting it was to host a meeting !
:D
A special thankyou Brian and Rovert for the photo presentation and to everyone for showing up and hanging out.What a gerat time.
I think I got a frag or polyp from literally everyone who came so thanks to all for everything -I got way too much stuff to list them all . I'm still trying to sort all the corals out and figure where I'm gonna put them.Jim thanks for the little serpent star package and Nagel those orange zooanthids are blinding !Rovert that white acro is insane ! Brian what is that SPS with the baby-blue tip ?
Can't wait to see the tank pics !!:)
-thanks again to everyone - Steve Bahr

ATLANTIS
10/02/2001, 04:49 PM
Steve,
That coral is acropora formosa.

I hope to get to work on the tank pics tonight.

no promises ;)

Nagel
10/02/2001, 05:27 PM
Ok, now I'm excited! All the frags are open, and I gotta say, we MUST do this more often. Glad you guys like the orange polyps, they paid for themselves time and again by now with all the trades that I've done with 'em. Hot little guys they are :) There certainly seems to be a demand for them, and I think I made an awesome decision making them my first coral purchase!

Steve, you gave me a bonus with that polyp rock, not only a striped mushroom, but I found a purple 'shroom on it too! Its amazing how the polyps look so bland under MH light but under the actinics they really show their character. You're making me want to cut back on the MH use a bit here (grin). A most excellent trade. Now about the polyps I gave you, amazing how they look greenish when closed up, but once they open they really ARE orange :)

Jimroth, No problem sir, I told you I owed you for your generousity, and I make due on my promises. There's more trades for us in the future, I'm sure of it.

Volk23, anytime man. My theory is what goes around, comes around. And if all the reefers out there participated in trades more often, there would be no need for wild collection (or minimal need). I completely understand how its hard to grow a collection when you are just starting out. Ya know, jimroth was my first trading experience in august. He set me up nicely, and I will never forget how good it felt, although I thought I came away with more then I gave, but hey, the more you give, the more that will eventually come back to you. The threefold rule is what I subscribe to, whatever you give out (be it good or bad) will come back to you three times as much. So I might as well be nice with it :)

Once again people, a great bunch of reefers, and a great night! Lets do it again!

Rovert
10/04/2001, 08:00 AM
*sheesh*

What a crew!

Hey, guys, just got home late last night from my trip up north, and wanted to thank everyone, particularly Steve, for a great time. I might try the next meeting down at my place here in E Central NJ, but if that's too big a hike, I understand.

I'm roughly off the Garden State Parkeway at exit 91, near Point Pleasant / Bricktown. What do you think? Too far?

katspaw
10/04/2001, 08:24 AM
Rovert,

If it's going to be a week day, I won't be able to make it.:( Now you plan it on a weekend, I would be happy to attend.:D

tracey

Spykey
10/04/2001, 10:47 AM
Rovert

That's good for me, but then again I'm close ot Philly.

Spykey

volk23
10/04/2001, 01:13 PM
i'd love you see Roverts tanks. BTW, Robert, thank you very much for the frags.

bahrhoops
10/04/2001, 01:55 PM
Rovert,
I could make it down there , as long as it's a reasonable time , I get at 5:00 AM at the latest. weekend would not be a problem.Love to see your setup !
- steve

JerryReef
10/08/2001, 11:46 PM
So there you are, sorry I am a little late. Didn’t know that you guys were hanging out here, till Tracey alerted me.

Did send you an email Steve, for the wonderful time. But I think that I got your wife's name wrong. My apologies! She is truly a saint, excellent host and real warm hospitality, even though she was busy with her personal chores. Without her we'd probably be having alga for snacks :D

Really, had a fantastic time it was a pleasure meeting all of you. Being that I am new to the scene it is very encouraging to see that reefers are so very helpful and supportive of each other. A most welcome change, especially after meeting some of the LFS; as I’ve got “skinned alive� a few times. Some of the LFS make sharks look tame :eek:

Ooh-err, you’re not included in that LFS category Mr. ATLANTIS, in fact I was going to call you about some equipment. Visiting Rich anytime soon? Actually, initially spotted the group pics at your web site. Great shots! Got to have you over for pics of my tank, love those colors ;)

Rovert
10/09/2001, 09:05 PM
Ok, guys, I'm thinking about a Sunday sometime soon. When would you like to do the next one? I figure we should wait a few weeks, so we at least have some growout on stuff, or we'll have nothing to trade so soon after our last meeting, right? :D

ATLANTIS
10/11/2001, 09:58 AM
If you realy must do a Sunday, How about Sunday November 11?

ATLANTIS
10/11/2001, 10:02 AM
If you really must do a Sunday, How about Sunday November 11?

katspaw
10/11/2001, 01:06 PM
Sunday Nov 11, That sounds great to me, we could do a birthday (mine)/ reef meeting. :celeb3: Wouldn't mind addition presents at all. :celeb1: Just remember I will need more frags for my new tank. :D

Tracey

JerryReef
10/11/2001, 11:06 PM
Not too late I hope, as it'll be a 2-1/2hr. drive (one way) for me :eek2:

Aquariust
10/21/2001, 10:54 PM
so what time should we do it? I'm available from 2-9 or so. The date is ok w/ me.