PDA

View Full Version : LFS = the suck.

Shak
04/30/2004, 10:11 PM
Please enlighten me if I am mistaken but here is my take on the reef keeping retail sector in Las Vegas. Please bear in mind that although I would never consider myself an expert (imho only those that dont actually have a reef tank label themselves experts), I do have a fair amount of reef keeping/ fish keeping background and experience, and I have seen or visited countless LFS over the years.

The LFS here in Vegas are horrendous, prices are an insult and the selection of healthy livestock is non-existant.

GV Aquarium - $$$$ Owners have no concept of profit margin, return business, advertising, merchandising or anything related to smart small business management. They do, however, have a decent selection of fish that appear reasonable healthy although I have not taken out a loan to be able to afford any of them. Small selection of over-priced common coral lifestock. Only found one knowledgable and helpful staff member (owners son).

ATM 1- go here if you like unhealthy corals, albiet the largest selection in town. They also have a huge fish selection, but the health is highly questionable and dead fish are apparent in almost every system. I cant ever see myself making a livestock purchase here, and I am often ashamed when I visit this store that the animals are treated so poorly. Again, make sure your credit is in order and you are prequalified for a small loan before attempting to purchase anything here.

ATM2 - never been, same owners.

Trop-aquarium - do they even stock marine fish? I have been several times, always on weekdays, and they have 3-8 fish total on average. Apparently, according to staff members, they receive orders on friday, sell everything out over the weekend, rinse and repeat. Cant comment on pricing/quality since there is never anything for sale, but dont count on healthy if you buy from there, the fish dont get acclimated even one day before they are sold to public. No corals to speak of at all.

F.I.S.H - dirty store, unhealthy tanks, bad lighting, pricing is reasonable. Staff is helpful and friendly at least, and they are the only store that appeared interested in my business.

Tropical Expressions - If Jackie is running this place I would assume the fish health and selection is excellent. I knew her back when she worked for Lance and Micki at Rainbow Seascapes (We used to combine our orders to save on freight and get volume discounts) and have nothing but good things to say about her fish expertise. I have not visited this store yet, since I just read about it existing on this forum a few minutes ago.

And that about sums it up, Vegas is a mail order town when it comes to marine aquatics. Perhaps i'll start up a shop again, once the horror of the 80-90 hour work week fades a bit (NEVER!).

Well, sorry I am venting, I've already come to the conclusion that i'll have to travel to so.cal to purchase anything quality in person. And as a side note, dont try to purchase a custom aquarium in this town unless you can get a 2nd on your home to finance it. I'll be ordering my new tank from Aquariumobsessions most likely, and having it shipped here, since I couldnt find a store that wanted my business for a reasonable dollar amount. (I know the vendors, I know the actual cost being charged to LFS, I know the markup that is reasonable, but one store I wont mention by name quoted double the actual cost, plus shipping, on a tank!)

Look forward to spending some time on this board, i'm not usually so critical but 3 weeks of shopping for a tank without success has made me temporarily bitter.

PS - remember how I said I wouldnt mention the store? I lied, it was Green Valley Aquarium.

TippyToeX
05/01/2004, 05:24 PM
I just don't go into any of the stores now. It is insulting on so many levels I can't even express it.

What irks me most if ATM 1 & 2. Their display tanks have nice stock in them (thought they will die under thier care) but what they sell is trash. I guess they think that is their hook?

It'a all about buying online, getting friends to shop for you, or making road trips.

On a side note Shak, Will from Aquarium Obsessed is a good guy when you can get a hold of him. I've seen his tanks. Out of this world. They are at excellent cost for starphire and shipping is not at all bad. :)

LVMAS
05/01/2004, 08:29 PM
Well, If the shoe fits... :)

Shak
05/01/2004, 10:45 PM
Well, If the shoe fits...

Ya lost me there? Completely.

opihi
05/02/2004, 01:15 AM
Hey Shak,
i went to ATM 1 the other day to look for a tank and their prices are just ridiculous. there was a tank about 60x30x24 for $7 G's! unbelievable.

is aquarium obsessed a LFS? Mail order only?

thanks,
jeff

TippyToeX
05/02/2004, 01:36 AM
Jeff, Aquarium Obsessed is a shop in Canada. They Make custom tanks and one of the best if not the best for a starphire glass tank.

Here is their website Linky (http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/)

Shak
05/02/2004, 01:36 AM
It is a tank manufacturer out of canada, do a search on RC and you'll find plenty about them.

The only thing I hear bad about them is that is damn near impossible to get ahold of them. I've sent 4 emails and posted on their forums over the last few days and still no response, guess i'll end up calling on monday.

opihi
05/02/2004, 11:21 AM
great. thanks!

TippyToeX
05/02/2004, 04:29 PM
Shak, I had the same problems with emailing him. :( I've tried calling the past two weeks and have yet to hear back. I know not so long ago he had a bad cut (the worry of working with glass) on his leg and it put him out of action for some time. Perhaps he is just over loaded trying to pick up after that.

I don't know. I hope he will get back to you and I soon. :)

Shak
05/03/2004, 01:40 AM
Are you ordering a tank as well? Perhaps we could get a volume discount, or at least share shipping expense :D Let me know if you get a hold of him.

TippyToeX
05/03/2004, 09:37 PM
Sweet idea Shak! I don't want a large tank. I have one wall in the living room that is 35" long that is just begging for a tank.

When we get a hold of him lets PM back and forth and see if we can working something out. :)

Shak
05/04/2004, 02:20 AM
Ok, still no word though. I'm starting to get frustrated. I have this beautiful stand, new RO/DI unit installed, equipment ready to order.....AND NO TANK!

I'm going to try calling him all day tomorrow, I'm giving up on email.

AWExotics
05/04/2004, 03:05 AM
If I may be so bold as to offer my services.

Outside of the Vegas area I think I might be the closest LFS to you guys. I am down the 15 Fwy in Apple Valley (Victorville), CA

Reef and African Cichlids are our specialty. My gallery show's my display tank located in the store and pics of selected corals.

Shak: if you need an Aquarium PM me and I will get you a price on a Lee-Mar aquarium. I personally feel Lee-Mar makes the best Glass tanks and they do offer Star Phire glass upon request.

If Acrylic is what you are looking for ATM is an excellent manufacturer of Acrylic aquariums.

I hope I am not over stepping my bounds by offering here in this forum.

Todd

Nanighan
05/04/2004, 09:17 AM
Todd, how far are you from vegas? Btw nice tank!!

AWExotics
05/04/2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the good words...

I am about 2.5 Hrs South of Vegas off the 15 Fwy

Todd

Nanighan
05/04/2004, 02:02 PM
Is that going 80 or 100mph? hehe either way a road trip might be in order.

Shak
05/04/2004, 02:33 PM
Todd: You replied on a post of mine several weeks ago inquiring about LFS to purchase an aquarium in california, as I was going down for the weekend on vacation.

I PM'd you but didnt hear back before I left. I actually stopped by your store on our way back and checked it out. Love your display system, it actually justified all the expenditures with my wife on our new tank. Now she is harassing me daily to get my system up and running and make it look like yours!

Anyway, you werent there, only a girl working the front counter, I asked a few questions and then we left. I did notice you had a LeeMar 80 gallon for sale, but no overflow built in or i'd have bought it right then and there.

I've had the LFS's do some quotes from LeeMar and im getting ranges from 650-900 for the SAME EXACT TANK, and this is without starfire and without plumbing and returns installed.

If you want to get me a quote I'd be more than happy to look it over! Shoot me a PM or email and i'll send you the specs. Thanks again

TippyToeX
05/04/2004, 04:06 PM
Shak- I emailed Will for 3 weeks. Then started calling for the past 2. I am about ready to give up. Had I not seen his work a few months ago I would have given up long ago.

Todd, I truly appreciate your voicing in. I would be happy to make the trip to visit your store if you would be willing to make custom orders. I will PM you later today to see what we can work out. As well as a quote for a leeMar tank. You are neighbors with Eric (fragfarmer) I see. Excellent! He has been very kind to me. It would be doubly worth it to visit you both.

I will be in LA in August for a visit to the wholesalers and LFS. I should be able to visit you then at the very latest. :)

Shak
05/04/2004, 04:58 PM
Amy: Just got off the phone with Will. Its no wonder you cant get a hold of him, we spoke for close to an hour, his phone is probably always busy!

I got my quote from him, and frankly I'm going to have to rethink having a tank built. His prices are more than fair, and lower than any other quote I've recieved, but its still a grand for a 75 gallon tank (granted with starfire, and overflow all plumbed). Also the biggest hang-up I have is the 6 week turnaround time, I was hoping for such a relatively small tank I could get it in 3 weeks or less (wife is still harassing me).

Anyway, I mentioned that another resident of Las Vegas may want to order at the same time if i decide to go ahead and order mine, and he said we could each probably save about $50-75 on shipping by doing this together. It will probably push back the turn around time though, so may also not be worth it.

I'm going to wait and see what Todd will do for me before I make a decision. I'll let you know.

Oh and he said he is best reached by email, leave message and phone number to call back. He checks these 3-4 times a day and returns calls then, thats how he got my number, I emailed him again this morning.

AWExotics
05/04/2004, 10:58 PM
Shak,

I wish I was there the day you stopped in. I unfortunately donot stocked drilled tanks but I did have 2 80 gallons in my storage room waiting on refugiums so that I could set them up at the customers house. Off the top of my head I cannot remember the price for hte 80's. One was a Flat Polish tank (like my display reef tank) and the other was a standard Lee-mar deluxe Aquarium drilled with a prefilter in the corner. I believe that tank runs a mere $450 retail. 48.5 x 18.5 x 25.5 High or approx those dimensions. If I remember correctly I didn't receive your PM until Monday as I spent the weekend wit the GF and didn't check in on the PM's.

Anyone else looking for a tank PM or E-mail me the specs and I will get them quoted out ovre the next couple days.

I am tearing down a 600 gallon reef at a clients house (they have to spray for termites. So I will be busy the next two days. I will however be o9n RC in the evenings.

Thanks for the warm welcome

Todd

clkwrk
05/06/2004, 02:32 AM
Hey guys try this . We have been doing alot of group buys from them and have been very satisfied. In Yuma ,Az . John and Peggy are awsome people and love the hobby. Also I believe they do group disconts. They have an awsome selection and prices are pretty decent. Well good enough that our local reefers will drive up there rather than shop local if they can.http://www.azreef.com

Chris

TippyToeX
05/07/2004, 05:21 PM
Chris, thanks for the information and to hear this feedback. :) I believe the president of LVMAS would like to address group buys when we all meet.

Nanighan
05/08/2004, 02:33 AM
Can I be the CFO? I always wanted to be a CFO.

BRI7969
05/12/2004, 11:30 AM
hey shak give john a call i.a.p he is in settle he has raely good prices