PDA

View Full Version : Racist Hermit Crabs?

dannanokris
04/27/2004, 08:57 PM
I don't know if anyone has expeirenced this or heard of this, but is there a thing as a rascist hermit crab? I have 4 blue legged hermits and 4 blue hermits. Ok the red hermits are down to 2 and the blues seem to be destroying the others while im at work? Do these hermits fight or something? Are blue ones more aggressive? I don't understand, my tank has good levels but the red hermits are getting beat up, the two biggest ones got their homes stolen by smaller blue hermits? How did this happen? Please help and explain.... Red hermits have been placed in a holding area of the tank.
Dan

polymorphus
04/27/2004, 09:05 PM
Hermits pretty much do there own thing and will eat anything they can catch.

Hermit Gang Warfare... not cool, but still a great story either way :)

- g

AZDesertRat
04/27/2004, 10:15 PM
My Blue hermits kick the crap out of my Scarlet hermits! I find dead red ones every couple of days but never find a dead blue one. The Blue ones also attack the snails, especially Turbos. Every darn one of them is sporting a new turbo shell now! Most of the blues started out as "tiny hermits" from AquaTouch I think. Next time someone goes to Rocky Point I need a gazillion Mexican Reds so they can stand a chance against the Blues.

Mr_Romine
04/29/2004, 10:36 AM
i have 2 lefthanded hermits one has tripled i size since i got him, he rules the tank none of the blue legged mess w/ the lefties

Jaffa
05/11/2004, 08:49 PM
I have 5 hermits and 5 cerith snails in my 10g. The hermits are great fun to watch and have the occasional brawl, but they never threaten the cerith snails. I figure as long as there are enough shells to go around, they will all be happy. Two have taken up new shells(I try and keep shells available for all).

I'm also expecting 2 scarlet hermits and 2 zebra hermits on thursday, we shall see how that works out.:)