PDA

View Full Version : "Yellow Clown Goby"

ReefRaff76
04/24/2004, 03:16 PM
In the nano reef section I am involved in a dispute over the common name for Gobiodon okinawae. A member cited an article you wrote in which you refer to Gobiodon okinawae as a Yellow Clown Goby.....I have always refered to Gobiodon okinawae as a Yellow Coral Goby. I can not find a "Scientific" reference to Gobiodon okinawae as a Yellow Clown Goby. Could you please let me know where I can find such a reference. Thanks for your time. :)

hcs3
04/24/2004, 03:54 PM
"clown gobies" is the common name given to the fish of the genus gobiodon by our hobby, and thus you will not find scientific references given rise to such names. other instances of common name usage would include leopard wrasses, tangs, or even clownfishes. the vast majority of ornamental fish have common names of which cannot be "scientifically referenced."

in this instance, a "clown goby" is any goby of the genus gobiodon. you can find this reference in most hobby literature including the baensch atlas, and scott micheal books.

FWIW, gobiodon species are not scientifically referred to as coral gobies, either, but instead are labeled "coral-dwelling" gobies in literature.

HTH

ReefRaff76
04/25/2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your reply. :) I have one question though that you may not be able to answer:

Why then does fishbase.org label almost all the Gobiodon species "Coral Goby"?

hcs3
04/25/2004, 07:55 PM
because clown gobies are obligate coral dwellers.

HTH

ReefRaff76
04/25/2004, 10:51 PM
The common names for these fish are decades old...and not a single species on fishbase.org is labeled "Clown Goby" in the Gobiosdon genus...So why call them "Clown Gobies" when they are Coral Gobies??

hcs3
04/25/2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by ReefRaff76
So why call them "Clown Gobies" when they are Coral Gobies??

just to annoy you ;)

why call them clownfish when they are anemonefish? why call them tangs when they are surgeonfish?

answer my questions, and you'll likely have the answer to your own question as well :D

ReefRaff76
04/25/2004, 11:06 PM
I am not annoyed in the least. I do not understand why the common name that was given buy the individual that classed the species is being used. It would be like calling a horse a bird...just because you wanted to. ;)