PDA

View Full Version : Puffer or boxfish in 12 Gl.?

zoe88
09/06/2001, 04:31 PM
Hi:

Does anyone have a puffer or boxfish in a 12 Gl. or smaller tank? If so, what kind is it? I have a 40 Gl. reef tank but am looking into having a fish only tank that is 12 Gl.

Thanks!

jacksonpt
09/07/2001, 11:09 AM
I am setting up a 10g, and I have been told numerous times that all puffers will outgrow a 10, so I assume the same is true for a 12.

Don't know anything about boxfish.

Nascar886
09/07/2001, 02:33 PM
No way!! I was just at inland aquatics and they have a puffer that's about 10". Sorry but that would be just plain cruel.

Q-ball
09/08/2001, 08:48 AM
Hey, don't listen to these pessimists, you can do it! Of course, you're gonna need a second tank for the water:D Sorry, couldn't resist...yeah, they're right, there's no puffers or boxfish that I know of that wouldn't outgrow a 12g in very short order. Mine's 8" long and still growing...HTH

Q!!!

metamorphis
09/22/2001, 05:20 AM
Shame on you guys. :mad:

I have seen small brackish puffers acclimated to reef tank conditions. Tetraodon fluviatilis (green spotted puffer) is probably your best bet for a 12 gallon. They are small (adult size ~ 3"-3.5"), hardy, cheap, and readily available. I know a guy who has bred them in tanks smaller than 12 gallons.

Lewin
09/23/2001, 03:42 AM
I have Green Spotted in my brackish tank and they are actually listed as having a max size of 6", too big for a nano. Also puffers are known to be big waste producers which could get out of hand very quickly in a nano.

Gamera
09/23/2001, 09:13 PM
I've actually seen tiny tiny boxfish called Boston Beans that look like they'd work well in a nanoreef 10 gallons or larger.

They looked absolutely tiny. MY girlfriend fell in love with them immediately and demanded I add a couple, but the tang probably would have tried eating them...

Lewin
09/23/2001, 11:28 PM
The boston bean puffers grow to about one and a half feet, and do not keep the spotted coloration.

metamorphis
09/24/2001, 04:28 AM
Lewin,
As I'm sure you know, "max size" is a joke if you are trying to estimate actual size. Just for reference, true percula clowns also have a 6" max size. Ever seen a percula clown as big as your hand?

zoe88
09/24/2001, 11:40 AM
Thank you everyone! I decided to skip the puffer in the 12 gallon tank. Instead I put a porcupine puffer in my 40 gallon FOWLR tank. Spike (the puffer) is so much fun! Thanks again for all the advice.

- Lisa

Lewin
09/24/2001, 02:24 PM
Metamorphis,
Yes, I know that the maximum size thing is generally only found in wild specimens, but it is something that I keep in mind when planning a tank because I would rather have a tank with extra space than have a fish get too big for the tank because it turned out to be larger than expected. Also I have read accounts of Green Spotteds in a marine tank that were about 4" which is really pushing it in a 12 gallon.
Thanks for the advice though. :)