PDA

View Full Version : ANy SEABAY reefers not part of BARE?

Vincerama2
04/20/2004, 01:22 PM
It seems odd to have the two clubs, but I guess BARE is more reef oriented and MUCH more East Bay centric. The meetings are hard to get at since they are held on Thursday evenings at 7PM...ie; there is no way I would cross the San Mateo Bridge during rush hour to make it to that meeting!

Having said that, a great fun part of BARE are the frag meetings...does seabay do that too? (for it's reefing members?)

Thanks!

V

RonSF
04/20/2004, 02:09 PM
I'm a member of both, and both are inconvenient to me since I live in San Rafael and work in SF. I make what meetings I can. As best I have seen, SEABay has a raffle of donated items every meeting, often with lower cost starter coral up for grabs, but sometimes with nicer donated items. I don't think they regularly attempt a frag swap like BARE, though. One odd difference in the two clubs: SEABay users don't seem particularly into RC and very rarely post. BARE, on the other hand, may have a few too many postings these days (if you've been folowing the ongoing saga of self destruction) . . .:rolleyes:
-Ron

Vincerama2
04/20/2004, 03:39 PM
Yes, the saga is what makes me look to other clubs, but the activity in the forum is what made me interested in the first place. We need a hybrid!

Some SF reefers and myself are trying to set up an informal frag trade in a few months. Seems like most SF reefers are newbies!
(myself included)

V

Ryan
04/22/2004, 02:34 PM
Vincerama2- I feel the same way. Maybe we should set up an independant FRAG network for the bay area- club independant.

bookfish
04/22/2004, 04:50 PM
And i don't care what club affiliations people have, if any.
Let me know if a swap gets set up.
Thx!-Jim

jedininja
04/25/2004, 10:21 PM
I would definatly be into that too.

amgbenzs
04/26/2004, 11:51 AM
I am a newbie and would like to see a club for SF reefers. I dont want to drive all the way to the east bay. That is just a suggestion. :D

Reefcherie
04/26/2004, 12:02 PM
Hello Folks,

I'd like to respectfully point out that this discussion is taking place in the SEABay forum. I know it seems like a handy place to chat, but the forum is meant to be a vehicle for SEABay members to communicate with one another and to field inquiries about the SEABay club.

Please use the Announcement forum to announce the attempt to organize another club or for the organization of a frag swap - unless you'd like to see SEABay organize a frag swap and would like to discuss that possibility. If you have questions for SEABay and/or suggestions, please do use this forum for that purpose.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation,

Reef Cherie
Reef Central Moderator

bookfish
04/28/2004, 11:37 PM
Hey that Sinularia Anthony brought out in the water bottle is starting to grow. Really interesting coral.-Jim

BSAJim
05/03/2004, 01:35 PM
OK Reef Cherie,

Since you raise the issue, how about it. I'm sure that there are
several rrefers in the South Bay Area that would be interested
in a meet, combined with some social time and trading of plans/
best practices.

Since the other groups seem to be having a bit of a battle
around the purpose of the meet (sell/trade/auction) why not
have an event that achieves a bit of balance. For the first 90 min
have a trade/sell event where the folks with rarities can swap
for other rarities (or sell their frags to folks who would like the
opportunity to acquire but have no corals of value to offer)

The next 90 minutes could be a round-robin giveaway of any
feftovers that folks would like to get rid of (i.e. xenia, etc) that
could be really valued by folks with brand-new tanks and are
looking to add diversity to their stock. Folks attending get a
numbered tag, and folks go in order picking something they
want. If more is available, go through the numbers again until
stock exhaused, or folks continuously pass.

What thinketh ye?

Jim

Reefcherie
05/03/2004, 01:53 PM
BSAJim,

I will bring your idea to the attention of the SEABay BOD and let you know.

SEABay has a frag/equipment/gift certificate raffle (with donated items) at every meeting (after the speaker or workshop), but we currently have no plans for devoting an entire meeting to a formalized frag swap. Our raffles are one of SEABay's primary means of obtaining the funds necessary to bring in the line-up of speakers that we have. Both members and non-members are welcome to attend all meetings and participate in our raffles.

Thanks,
Cheri
SEABay Program Director

Reefcherie
05/03/2004, 02:01 PM
BSAJim,

I will bring your idea to the attention of the SEABay BOD and let you know.

SEABay has a frag/equipment/gift certificate raffle (with donated items) at every meeting (after the speaker or workshop), but we currently have no plans for devoting an entire meeting to a formalized frag swap. Our raffles are one of SEABay's primary means of obtaining the funds necessary to bring in the line-up of speakers that we have. Both members and non-members are welcome to attend all meetings and participate in our raffles.

Thanks,
Cheri
SEABay Program Director