PDA

View Full Version : Employee at Tulls shot?

alprazo
04/19/2004, 09:08 PM
The headline story of the fox 10 news was of an attempted robbery at Tull's aquarium. It looked like L was shot and flown to Christiana.

I really hope everything is OK

Netscout
04/19/2004, 10:14 PM
I thought I heard them say it was the owner. Man, I hope whomever it is will be ok. Lee Tull is one of the best guys around. My prayers go out to him.

-Rob

JJM
04/20/2004, 05:29 AM
WORKER SHOT IN ROBBERY TRY: A Milltown pet store employee was shot and critically wounded during a failed robbery attempt Monday night. New Castle County Police spokesman Cpl. Trinidad Navarro said the shooting happened at 7:56 p.m. in the Tull's Aquarium and Pets store in the 3300 block of Old Capitol Trail. Two gunmen walked into the store and confronted two employees, shooting one of them in the upper body The gunmen then fled in a dark-colored sedan, Navarro said. The victim, whose name was not released, was flown to Christiana Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery Monday night, Navarro said. Anyone with information may call 395-8171 or Crime Stoppers at (800) 847-3333.

Dr.King
04/20/2004, 08:52 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Tull family. The local radio station in Wilmington stated that the clerk was in critical condition. I sincerly hope whoever was shot makes a full and speedy recovery.

JJM
04/20/2004, 10:34 AM
The 45-year-old victim, a Wilmington man whose name was not released, was flown to Christiana Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery Monday night, Navarro said. He was in critical but stable condition this morning, he said.

kwjones
04/20/2004, 02:58 PM
Any new word on this?

kwjones
04/20/2004, 03:39 PM
One of the guys from TheReefTank.com posted this a few minutes ago.

"hi all, an update...just talked to Joesph, he said Lee was still fighting for his life. and thanks everyone for the well wishes.. he will give a buzz if anything comes up... Family is still not allowed to see him yet...

tim"

greeneyedblackcat
04/20/2004, 04:35 PM
Who would shoot Lee? He is a super mild mannered guy, I hope they catch those cowards and give them the chair!

alprazo
04/20/2004, 05:08 PM
My heart goes out to him and his family. You are so right GEBC, what a nice man. I really hope they catch and fry them. If DRC wants to do something for him and his family let me know, I'm in. He has always been so generous and helpful. I actually stopped buying all of my livestock and most supplies online after finding his store. I wanted to support a LFS; his is the only one I buy from. Hang in there LT. Again if DRC or anyone is interested in doing something email me.

Carmen
DRC member as of last night

JYC1960
04/20/2004, 05:29 PM
all my prayers and well wishes go to the tull family and i do hope that the guys that did this do get what they have coming to them in which imo the chair would be to fast and easy they need to feel the pain that lee and his family are feeling my god be with him and if there is anything that you guys are doing please let me know and please post it on the other clubs as i am sure everyone will help thats out there as everyone knows reefers help reefs

JJM
04/20/2004, 05:50 PM
I think the least DRC can do out of club funds is send him something for his stay in the hospital.....Pres, Tres , what ya say?

JJM
04/20/2004, 05:56 PM
here is the latest out of the paper ,...a sketch , etc....we should also consider doing anything we can for the family , when the time is appropiate , does anyone know them well enough to ask what they need....????...is Joseph his son?

http://www.delawareonline.com/updates/Policereleasesk.html

Dr.King
04/20/2004, 06:50 PM
I could be mistaken but I believe Joseph is Lee's nephew. Joseph has worked at the store for a long time. I will do whatever I can to help out the Tull family. Lee is just one of the nicest, fair, and honest guys I have ever met. I just can't believe someone could do this to him.

kwjones
04/20/2004, 07:00 PM
I've been talking to the guys on TheReefTank.com. Tim lives in New Castle and has known Lee and his wife for 20+ years.

If you were to take an online vote for flowers or something, I already vote yes.

tim1
04/20/2004, 07:46 PM
hello everyone..
hope you do not mind me dropping in:D

Joseph is the nephew.. sorta a sad story, Joe and his brother were under Lee and tina's custody after their parents died ( about 15 years ago or so) the brother went to live with another aunt and uncle ( he was a major handful ( the bad apple so to speak)).. So this right now is playing something bad in his head..

i did speak to Joe toninght and let him know that i have passed the word around to others and so have many others ( here).. and that all we need is a word and will are ready to jump in a help out in any way we can..
I will be seeing him tomorrow night to see how things are going..
they do have a partener in the shop ( remember the guy with the little shellty dog?) so imagine that the store wuill have to stay openor at least partly for now..

talk to everyone later
tim

Scout
04/20/2004, 08:37 PM
Done, we'll get something sent out from DRC first thing tomorrow morning!

Mike

chawee
04/21/2004, 11:39 AM
Any updates?

Thanks,
Chalie

tim1
04/21/2004, 12:08 PM
i have not talked to Joseph yet, i will be calling him in an hour or so... i will post later on..

tim1
04/21/2004, 12:34 PM
No answer today at the store, so they are closed, i will give abuzz later tonight and see if anyone is home and if any news...

greeneyedblackcat
04/21/2004, 03:58 PM
I called today, they said Lee is still in bad shape but they think he will survive, they willl be open tomorrow for a few hours, I will probably stop in and purchase something so they have some cash flow coming in, I’m sure they need it. ( I don’t have anything specific in mind but I always need something for the reef) .>>>>>>>>>>>Jim K

JYC1960
04/21/2004, 04:19 PM
i was thinking alone the lines greeneyedblackcat and tell all the clubs in the area the deal if they dont know and to help them we should have all the clubs meet sat down there and if everyone buys just one thing that would help lee and his family out make it look like thr once a yr sale with lines out to the road

alprazo
04/21/2004, 04:46 PM
I could easily find somethings for my tank too. GEBC any idea what hours they will be open tomorrow? Meeting Sat is a great idea but I will unfortunately be away. Thanks for the updates.

Carmen

katspaw
04/21/2004, 05:16 PM
I will talk to our President and see if we can't buy something from the staore and we can raffle it off at the next meeting or something. I mean our tresurer and President live down in south Jersey, so hopely it will not be far for them to travel. I hope that the Tull's make out okay and I will say a prayer for Lee's recovery.

Tracey

JJM
04/21/2004, 06:40 PM
Scout , maybe we should buy something for the raffle inventory ...
Pm me with your thoughts .....

JJM
04/21/2004, 06:42 PM
oh and thanks to all the other clubs / people chimming in here , this stills provides me some faith in mankind , and will help them out I am sure. You all are always welcome at any of our meets

greeneyedblackcat
04/21/2004, 07:11 PM
Joseph said they would be open from about 12 to 5pm on thursday>>>>>>>>>>Jim K

JYC1960
04/21/2004, 07:11 PM
if jjm or tim1 or anyone can find out if they will be open sat and the hours that they will be open on sat we then can let everyone on the other club sites know and maybe we can get a ton of people there to buy something and as JJM wrote clean the freakn place out lol

tim1
04/21/2004, 08:23 PM
i will be talk to Joseph tomorrow.. ithey were not taking calls at home tonight..
thursday and friday is Lee's normal SW shipment.. i do not know if it will come this week, but if it does they should have a lot of corals and such Saturday!..
i will post tomorrow once i found anything out.. unless someone already has..

tim

Scout
04/21/2004, 08:35 PM
I love the idea of buying something for the raffle at Tull's. JJM can you make it over there tomorrow? I'm still out of town.

We also tried to get info from the hospital today regarding sending flowers. The hospital claimed to have no record. Maybe it would be better to send them to his family and they can take to the hospital. Tim - can you email or PM me their address and I'll get the flowers out from DRC tomorrow?

We all pray!

Mike

tim1
04/21/2004, 11:48 PM
hi,
i jusxt got off the phone with tina!!!!!!!!!!

Lee is in stable but gaurded critical cond.

tina is ****ed at the news, it is big time wrong...

lee was shot three times, one time in the wrist ( glancing ) and poss. twice in the chest, the frist news report had said he was shot... it was blood from his wounds not from a bullet.. the hospital will say that beacuse they are still at large...
tina said any cards or stuff can be sent to the store..
3313 old capital trail
wilmington , del, 19808

tull's aquarium and pet supplies..

as far as being open.......

Joseph will be in for only a little bit tomorrow, mainly to feed stuff. they are not really open to the public yet.. tina is not goingto open to the public until next week!!!

but i did tell her about you idea of the saturday thing! she thought that would be great, they are really hurting for money now!.. she would like to know how many peple would be showing up! and what time? she will open for us only!!!

everyone's sprite's are really up right now, they all sound very good...

tina does not want Joseph at the store by himself for a while..!

as asoon as you know hoiw many people and time i will call tina on her cell and let her know.. she was very touchedby what everyone has said!

tim

reefguyinpa
04/22/2004, 05:29 AM
Tim,
I would like to take the oppurtunity to express outrage and prayers for Lee from the newly formed SV-SEA. We would also like to help our neighbor club anyway we can.
One of the founding members and myself would like to come down on Sat and visit this establishment as a show of support.
Please keep us informed either in this forum or via email.
Oncea again our hearts and prayers go out to the Tull Family and the Reef community in this area.
Jim

Dr.King
04/22/2004, 07:02 AM
I will go to Tull's on Saturday. Just post a time when they would like to open.

kwjones
04/22/2004, 07:27 AM
I'll drag the wife out with me on Saturday. Just let me know when to show up.

Kevin

Netscout
04/22/2004, 07:36 AM
I'll be there, of course.

-Rob

Ocean Image
04/22/2004, 08:00 AM
Hi everyone. My heart goes out to the Tull family and friends.

I was thinking that a large group purchase of something from the store may be a good effort. Easy to sell and market to other clubs/people. Just a thought.

Nat61299
04/22/2004, 08:13 AM
You guys are awesome, I hope your friend pulls through allright.
Natalie in Texas

tim1
04/22/2004, 09:47 AM
Cool so far at least 10 ?
tina did say that her normal shippments are NOT coming this week, but if enough people are coming she will call in a order today for fish and such... but i will have to let her know asap...

also a time is thing she would like to know. she will not be open other then for us!

right now they are only doing tank manit. and feedings and that is it..

JYC1960
04/22/2004, 09:51 AM
well i am in for sat

Netscout
04/22/2004, 10:08 AM
Anytime Saturday after 1pm or 2pm should be fine for me. I coach Tee Ball in the morning. How about we do a separate post with a poll so that we can get a serious head count?

-Rob

JYC1960
04/22/2004, 10:13 AM
and then sent the poll to all clubs post

JJM
04/22/2004, 10:23 AM
I'll copy the poll post to other clubs

aquajamieb
04/22/2004, 12:15 PM
Ill can be there on saturday too

mebarryb
04/22/2004, 02:54 PM
Everyone is talking about buying somthing, which is good but how bout also just stoping by to just give 5 or 10 bucks or mailing a few bucks to help out his family.

tim1
04/22/2004, 03:29 PM
well everyone i just got off the phone with tina..

Lee is doing really good, his color of his skin has come back!!!

this surprized the doctors...
they still have not found the 3 rd bullet yet. they think it is floating around inside....

tina said they have decide to open the store tomorrow form 12 ish to maybe 5 pm and saturday 11 ish until 5 pm maybe a little later.. and sunday m aybe 1-3 pm.. they did post hours on the door , but it is still a play it by ear.......

told her at least 20 people are coming.

she is also going to look in to a paypal account for medical funds..but that may take a few days or so..

tim

JJM
04/22/2004, 03:37 PM
thats great news , thx for the update

greeneyedblackcat
04/23/2004, 09:28 PM
Just got done acclimating my purchase from Tulls, I saw 2 other DRC members there, the staff there expressed their gratitude to us for supporting the store in their time of need, the purchases will help to keep them in business. They said that they were putting together a coral order for next week and put me down for a few things, Lee is doing as well as can be expected for a guy shot in the chest with two 9mm bullets, Joseph said the first word that came out of his mouth was OUCH. Tulls is a great LFS and I plan on making a purchase every week to help keep the store and the employees in business.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jim K

tim1
04/23/2004, 09:36 PM
that is good to know Jim,
You did leave some stuff for the rest of us ..right?!!!!..
myself i plan to go over tomorrow

Tim

tim1
04/23/2004, 09:39 PM
ohhhh before i forget, i have talked to tina and she is looking in to a paypal account for Lee and medical stuff.... i do not know when it will be set up...
if or when she does would it be ok to post a link to it here?

greeneyedblackcat
04/23/2004, 09:43 PM
They still had some nice stuff in the tanks, I purchased all that this weeks budget would allow.>>>>>>>>>>Jim K

greeneyedblackcat
04/23/2004, 09:46 PM
Tim, I dont think anyone would mind if you posted that paypal link here.

Netscout
04/23/2004, 11:57 PM
I picked up a couple of very nice pieces from Tulls today. A baby blue pagoda cup coral and a branching alveopora. It felt good seeing other folks from the reef club there supporting the Tulls in their time of need.

One problem they are having is that they'd like to place an order, but Lee is usually the guy that does it. I spoke with George (Lee's silent partner) on my way out and he said that he could send me a price sheet to share with the group. They are basically looking for feedback on what people want to buy from them so that they don't order a bunch of stuff that nobody wants. Not to sound like a shill, but this could be a great opportunity for our members to nab some hard to find pieces, or a rare fish at a great price. Plus, and most importantly, you'd be helping a good family and LFS survive through a tough time.

I don't want to step on any rules, so I won't do it without moderator approval.

-Rob

CherryCat
04/24/2004, 07:03 AM
i would like to be included in that order, if at all possible ...

we'll be down there this morning when they open. hope to meet some of you there!!

jc

Scout
04/24/2004, 08:14 AM
tim1 - Definately post the paypal acct link here when it is set up. We can also put it on our website.

Do you know if the store is still going to be open today till 5 pm. I'll be leaving Allentown around 1 pm and should be there around 2:30. I'll pick up a bunch of stuff for raffles for the club.

Netscout - If the mods won't let us post the order form on this forum, let me know and we can post on our website instead.

Thanks

Mike

Netscout
04/24/2004, 08:19 AM
Scout,

On the door, it said that they'd be open today from 11am - 7pm.

-Rob

CherryCat
04/24/2004, 08:10 PM
we were there this morning, and got a couple of nice pieces. what a funky, old fashioned little store!! i had a great time!!

cheers!!
jc

tim1
04/24/2004, 08:23 PM
Jc if you thought that store is old fashioned.. you should have seen befroe they moved in to it, the other store they had was maybe half the size.....

well when i wsa there today i talked to tina before she left, she and joe said that many people from here had come over.. they could not belive the amount of people who came to there need...

Tina said george is working on the paypal account..they should have it ready in a few days..
i will be running back over tomorrow to get a few softies, only picked up some calcium amd iodine today. there were a lot of people in there and several more going in as i was leaving, saw plates from MD and PA..
did you make it over today kevin?

in case you did not get to talk to tina..
the latest..
Lee is really doing much better. he is talking a bit more ( other then ouch !) but he still does not know what the 23 yr.old nurse looks like yet!.. :D
i will be talking with Joe to tomorrow and if i hear anything else i will post..
have a great night everyone..

and a BIG THANK YOU FROM TINA

kwjones
04/24/2004, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I got there around 1:30...great little store! I picked up some Astrea snails since I needed them anyway...:D I was going to get a mushroom polyp, but I don't think my tank is quite ready for any corals yet.

When I was in the back talking to Tina, Joseph came back and said Lee was trying to sit up and take his mask off, even though the nurses and doctors were trying to keep him from doing it. I'm guessing they'll give him something to make him sleep. I'll have to make sure I go back when he's back to the store...he sounds like a character! :D

Kevin

CherryCat
04/24/2004, 10:11 PM
tim, it was store similar to that one that first got me into saltwater, some 15 years ago!! ah, those were the days ... ;)

one thing i regret was the fact that we were so rushed this morning. i wish we could have spent just a little more time just hanging out ...

cheers!!
jc

JYC1960
04/25/2004, 08:53 AM
i was have to agree with JC on the store well i was put on the list for a bta so when it comes in they will give me a call cant wait its a shame that sometimes it takes things like this to take us to places that we may have never gone to but i am glad that i did find tulls and will be back again

tim1
04/25/2004, 09:24 AM
i love the little stores, they usally do not have the greatest selection , but will get what you want and at a lot less then some of the "chain" stores! going back in a half hour when they open to pick up what i could not take last night!..

Netscout
04/26/2004, 12:44 PM
George from Tulls wanted me to help get the word out that they've setup a paypal account for folks to help out with their medical bills.

Tulls Aquarium
email address: gwd@magpage.com

George says he will take care of documenting any donations, and see that those donations go toward medical bills.

-Rob

tim1
04/30/2004, 09:58 AM
hi,
i just got off the phone...

LEE IS NOT DOING VERY GOOD AND IS NOT>>>>>> NOT>>>>
EXPECTED TO LIVE /SURVIVE THE REST OF THE DAY>>.........

he had some blood clots in the lungs as of yesterday... i am not sure what happened between yesterday afternoon to this morning !.. IF OR WHEN I HEAR MORE I WILL POST HERE.

Dr.King
04/30/2004, 10:01 AM
That is just terrible news, I'm very sorry to hear it. I am praying for a miracle.

aquajamieb
04/30/2004, 11:34 AM
This is very sad. I have my fingers crossed and hope for a miracle as well.

Netscout
04/30/2004, 02:26 PM
Today is a sad day indeed.

Lee passed away this afternoon due to complications as a result of his gunshot wounds. We are all in mourning, as Lee was a great guy who truly loved this hobby. He will be missed by his friends.

More details will be posted here as arrangements are made in the next few days.

I can't really find the words right now to adequately express my sorrow.

-Rob

flaunt
04/30/2004, 02:39 PM
I didn't know the man but I offer my condolences.
:sad1:

kwjones
04/30/2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks Rob. I've passed the word at a few other sites.

reef fanatic
04/30/2004, 02:51 PM
My prayers and condolences too. I sure hope the people are caught that are responsible and brought to justice. This is just sickening to think someone could do such things.

greeneyedblackcat
04/30/2004, 02:54 PM
My condolences to Lee’s family, Godspeed to Lee, and death to the cowards that did this to him.

BarryG
04/30/2004, 03:55 PM
Today is a sad day my prayers and condolences to Lee's Family:sad2:

JYC1960
04/30/2004, 04:02 PM
i am truly sad and sorry to hear the news and my heart goes out to lee's family in their time of greif and wish them my prayers go with him and his family and i do hope that they catch and guys and make them suffer as lee did in his last days on this earth

tim1
04/30/2004, 04:24 PM
spoke with Joe a few minutes ago,
Lee died around 1 pm, he fought for life and brought back three times before he let go and went to the big reef up stairs..
as some of you know Lee was a strong and fighting guy, he stayed around and fought hard..

for thoses of you that stopped by last night to the pet store tina really appreciated that..

tim

tim1
04/30/2004, 04:45 PM
Spoke with joesph again,
the veiwing will be tuesday..

all info will be in the sunday and monday paper.

tim

CherryCat
04/30/2004, 04:51 PM
my prayers are with lee's family. godspeed, lee. rest in peace.

jc

cb747
04/30/2004, 05:08 PM
Heartbreaking news. My condolances to the family.
Chris

tim1
04/30/2004, 05:30 PM
hi all,
here is the info ..

just talked to tina...

the veiwing and service will be
tuesday 7 -9 pm
at McCrery fumeral homes
3710 kirkwood highway
(rt 2 east at duncan road)
phone # 478-2204

Lee will be creamated so tuesday will be the only service..

the store will be closed for now. Tina is not sure what she wants to do, or if itwill ever open...

on a side note...
tina does not know a 1/4 of what Lee did ( her words) she does not know if she can keep the store open at all. i think if we ( all of us) show up and give our brains to her to pick apart then she would keep the store open...

Corals and More
04/30/2004, 05:58 PM
My prayers and thoughts go out to the family and friends

billpa
04/30/2004, 06:02 PM
I too am praying for Lee's family...I have never met him but this tragedy has been shared with hobbyists throughout the area...My condolences to all who were lucky enough to know him on earth.

billpa

emelton
04/30/2004, 07:14 PM
My condolences to Lee's family. Godspeed Lee.

JJM
04/30/2004, 07:49 PM
my condolences to Tina and all families and friends ,my thoughts are with you........
JJM

reefguyinpa
04/30/2004, 07:58 PM
What a devistating blow. My condolences to the Tull Family. It is truly a sad time in our society when you can't even sell pets without fear of someithing of this nature. My Prayers go out to the whole reef community at such a loss.
Jim

JazzMan
04/30/2004, 08:10 PM
Why the hell do people kill each other!!!!!

Lee, have fun up there and I hope they have some nice tanks to look at.

gossws
04/30/2004, 08:46 PM
I'm so shocked at this news. I've been a customer of Lee and Tina's since they had the little store in Newport, then Red Mill Plaza and recently their current store. I learned so much from him when getting in the hobby 15+ years ago. They are all such good people.....why this? My prayers go out to Tina, Joe and the rest of their family at this time. Lee...I'll always remember you!

fishn1
04/30/2004, 11:30 PM
This is very sad news,...very sad....I only met Lee three weeks before this tragedy, right away we hit it off. And I knew this would be my one stop shopping place. He was as honest as they come.
My prayers are with Tina, Joe, and all of Lee's family....
Lee will surely be missed by all,....but never forgotten.
Greg

kwjones
05/01/2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by tims
Everyone

THEY CAUGHT THE SHOOTER
THEY CAUGHT THE SHOOTER

he is now under arrest and will be formally charged with murder

JYC1960
05/01/2004, 08:58 PM
that is great news i hope they fry his #%# but as well all know that it will take yrs to do that in the mean time we will support him with out tax money which is a shame but still great news to know that the tull family can now put lee to rest knowing that the guy is behind bars

tim1
05/01/2004, 09:10 PM
Well ,
today i sent the day with tina at the store,
george, joe , tina , myself and people either buying or just stopping in ..
Tulls may not be open tomorrow, not sure about monday, tuesday and wenesday closed, but tina IS putting an order togeather...

So many of us have shown support that i think she will make a go of it..

as you know Delaware only has lethal injection...hanging opnly stopped a few years ago..
when this lower scum reaches prison... he will have a new name.. from what i have heard with in 12 hours of knowing hew was caught.. his new name will be *****. and they will use him as a B**** too..
once the capture became offical as in police releasing it, the word spread fast..

the paper should have a story about it ( sunday's) and have all funeral info also...

Tina did say she will need help during the week ( day i think) ......

tim

kwjones
05/01/2004, 09:16 PM
Tim,

Lethal injection is good, but box jellyfish would be better.

greeneyedblackcat
05/01/2004, 09:17 PM
I say we feed him zoos until he expires.

tim1
05/01/2004, 09:25 PM
i really think they should just give him to us.. the ones that new Lee....

greeneyedblackcat
05/01/2004, 09:27 PM
I agree with tim, we could raffle off frags of him.

fishn1
05/01/2004, 09:57 PM
What great news,...I sure do wish "we" could seal the scum's fate.
Box Jellie fish,.Zoa's,..skimmer slime,...just is too good for this POS,....(sorry)....when found guilty,...he should .................
I really should not say what I feel on a public forum!!!
Greg

Dr.King
05/01/2004, 10:03 PM
I say we feed him to my Rose BTA anenome, a little piece a day, untill he dies. Honestly, I feel some relief that the SOB got caught, but it will never replace the intense feeling of lose, void, and sadness of Lee's passing.

I will do everything I can to help Tina and Joseph keep Tull's Aquarium open. Please consider purchasing a raflle ticket to help with Lee's medical expenses which will be astronomical and financially devastating..... Raffle Link (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=363187)

tim1
05/02/2004, 06:50 AM
K. Lee Tull, III Age 45 of Wilmington, DE passed away April 30, 2004.
Mr. Tull's true love was his family and taking care of his business at Tull's Aquarium.
He leaves to cherish his memory his wife, Tina M. Tull; nephews, Joseph and James Alexander; brothers, Danny and Billy Garber and Bobby Tull; sisters, Debbie Ash and Cathy Tull; his mother, Mamie Garber and her husband, Danny; and his father, Kenneth Lee Tull, Jr. and his wife, Jane.
A viewing will be held on Tuesday night, May 4, 2004, in the MCCRERY MEMORIAL CHAPEL, Kirkwood Hwy. & Duncan Rd., from 7-9 pm.
In lieu of flowers, donations to help with funeral expenses sent to McCrery Memorial Funeral Home, 3710 Kirkwood Hwy., Wilmington, DE 19808, will be greatly appreciated by the family.
[published 05/02/2004]

Dr.King
05/02/2004, 08:00 AM
From the Wilmington News Journal

Suspect arrested in pet store slaying
Officer spots vehicle matching description of getaway car
By MARY ALLEN and MURALI BALAJI
Staff reporters
05/02/2004

The black four-door Cadillac parked at the First State Plaza in Stanton caught Master Cpl. Mark A. Wohner's eye Friday because it looked like the getaway car New Castle County police were seeking in a pet store shooting.

When the license plate proved to be close to the description, too, the Newport police officer alerted county authorities he had a possible link to the unsolved Prices Corner crime.

It was 10 p.m. and three hours into Wohner's overnight shift. He didn't yet know that pet store proprietor Kenneth L. Tull, 45, had died hours earlier after 11 days in the hospital. But when he saw a man enter the Cadillac he turned on his lights and walked to the driver's window, where Jason E. Walker, 25, of Holland Circle in William Penn Village, was sitting.

"He was very cooperative. He just exited the vehicle and asked why he was being stopped," Wohner, 34, said Saturday.

New Castle County police detectives, who hurried to the scene, identified Walker as a suspect in the shooting. He was charged with first-degree murder, firearm possession during a felony and two counts each of attempted robbery and first-degree kidnapping. He is being held without bail.

Now, police are asking the public to help them find the second suspect. Officers said two people entered Tull's Aquarium and Pets store before closing April 19 with plans to rob it. But the plan went awry and ended in gunfire. No money was taken, and Tull was shot in the chest.

His widow, Tina Tull, said she is still looking for the reasons behind her husband's shooting.

"The main thing I want to know is why," she said. "Why did they have to shoot him? Why did they feel like it was necessary to kill him?"

She learned of Walker's arrest Friday and spent Saturday making funeral arrangements and meeting well-wishers at the store.

"These are good people who have done a lot to help other people," longtime customer and friend Karla Fillman said Saturday. She described Tull's Aquarium as "not just a store, but a meeting place."

Col. David F. McAllister, the county police chief, said Saturday that police want to know who Walker associates with and where he spends time.

"It is my belief communication is the key to solving crime, and this incident proves just that," he said, lauding Newport's assistance.

Wohner said he saw New Castle County police Detective James Armstrong recently and they talked about the shooting. Armstrong is the lead investigator. Wohner said he also regularly reviews postings about wanted people and vehicles. "Every time you look at it, you remember what you read," he said.

Anyone with information on the case should call police at 395-8171.

Tull's funeral will be 7 p.m. Tuesday at McCrery Memorial Chapel, 3710 Kirkwood Highway.

keefsama2003
05/02/2004, 10:51 AM
do you think tina will open the store this upcomming weekend i live in ny and was more than likely going to take a drive down and stop by the store since i will be down there. i wish everyone the best and hope they catch the other suspect

dvlhzdu
08/11/2005, 02:39 PM
Saw in the paper that the SOB was sentenced to life in prison. The jury cited his childhood disadvantages as mitigating circumstances to not hand down the death sentence.

tim1
08/11/2005, 02:55 PM
the other guy will be going ot trial soon also..

yellowtruck75
08/11/2005, 04:20 PM
I was reading this message a year ago in PA before I ever knew I would be moving to Delaware thinking that this was really sad. Well I was sitting at lunch the other day with a few people I work with and one of the ladies got to talking about how she just finished up with jury duty. After some talking I realized that the case sounded really familiar and it turns out she was on the jury for this shooting. I must have talked to her for an hour + about the details of the case and the trial. She said how the accomplise will be going to trial real soon.

wds21921
08/13/2005, 12:02 AM
I saw this in the paper as well and the shooters photo. It's truly sad that something like this happens almost everyday now and is accepted in some communities.

It's also sad that society has become so pre-disposed to become politically correct in it's efforts to make itself ALLEGEDLY more civil. The outcome so far has been that most law abiding citizens are nothing more than shooting targets that get washed away in the ever growing PC system.

While I unfortunately never had the good fortune of meeting Lee before this happened I appreciate his dedication and love of the hobby and more so his willingness to be so genuine with his customers which is what is missing in a lot of our LFS.

Personally I hate to be vindictive but I hope the SOB falls on a flashlight during bed check and suffers a terribly slow and painful demise >:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chalk another one up for the psychologists in letting a cold blooded murderer live.

bloopbloop
08/13/2005, 02:36 PM
It is difficult to find people who didn't have a crappy/ neglectful childhood. Thing is, most of them receive no compensation for such an ubringing. Criminality reaps rewards in this society.

Tell me, as a law-abiding citizen, when was your last break?

I did not know Lee or Tina. I wonder when the family's break will come.

Psychology should be offerred as a possible explanation of occurances, NOT as a means for excusal or "fact". A person's life experiences and views of them are so subjective and immeasurable.

The system sucks, but I am glad he was caught. I hope his days are wrought with the terror and sorrow that he brought on this family and the community.