PDA

View Full Version : Flame Hawk

Kayo
04/18/2004, 09:23 PM
There is a fish at the LFS called a Flame Hawk. I love going in and watching that fish. He doesn't swim as graceful as other fish. He seems to perch and sit back and watch. He is very colorful. He also looks like a chameleon in the way he rotates his eyes individually....

The LFS guy informed me that these fish are jumpers.

My issue is that I have to leave my tank open for evaporation (cooling).

Has anyone made a simple netting to cover the top of their tank to prevent a fish from suicide?

thanks

bjpembo
04/18/2004, 09:42 PM
go to lowes or home depot and over to the ceiling tile section, they have some stuff called egg crate or light difuser, its a white plastic grid, 9.00 for a large sheet, just cut it to fit on the inside lip of your tank and that'll keep your critters in.

thedogofwar
04/18/2004, 09:44 PM
eggcrate, the white grid light covers, you can get them at most HD or lowes, surprisely expensive for what they are but still only about $10. Eggcrate is good to have around anyway.

flame hawks dont have swim bladders, thats why they perch.
tons of personality!

Scuba Dog
04/19/2004, 07:34 AM
The only thing about the flame hawks is they may eate smaller fish in the system...

Kayo
04/19/2004, 06:47 PM
Will the egg crate cut down any of the light?

bjpembo
04/19/2004, 06:53 PM
some, but not that much, if thats a concern for you, you can cut it to fit around your lighting if your lights are resting directly on top of your tank.

Kayo
04/20/2004, 07:56 PM
Well, Got the egg crate and cut two pieces to just cover the two openings on the top of my tank. Doesn't seem to deter any light. Hopefully this time tomorrow my tank will be home to "Moe" the Flame Hawk.........

thedogofwar
04/21/2004, 07:34 AM
:lol: :thumbsup: You're not a simpsons fan are you?

I was gonna warn you not to get the chromed eggcrate. Do yourself a favor and quarantine your fish!

koj11
04/21/2004, 07:46 AM
Aside from smaller fish, hawkfish also sometimes eat smaller shrimp or crabs.

Kayo
04/23/2004, 08:21 PM
Well, Moe has found his spot. He is doing great. He doesn't bother anyone or thing. He has found a favorite spot. He likes sitting on the Y connector in my return. Kind of perched above it all gathering in the scope of the tank. He also is an eater. He especially likes the chopped frozen Krill cubes. My wife enjoys him because he doesn't hide.

drummerman2003
04/25/2004, 12:37 PM
well i gotta warn ya once again, i added a flame hawk, and he is awesome, but unfortunately, i am missing a coral banded shrimp, many small crabs, and i added a clown fish, and well he was gone the next morning.

Kayo
04/25/2004, 03:02 PM
I am hoping that with close to 90 lbs of rock in the tank I shouldn't have to worry about the fish. I lose a crab every so often to the clowns. When they pull one out of the shell they go absolutely nuts devouring it.

Kayo
04/26/2004, 07:15 PM
So far he has been the perfect gentleman......

Scuba Dog
04/26/2004, 07:41 PM
They are way cool looking fish!