PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking QUALITY LFS

soaringfalcon2
04/18/2004, 08:51 PM
Help!!!

We're looking for a LFS we can count on to have quality live stock.

Our experience with Aquarium Adventures on Ridge has not been the best, Bargain Basements in Akron is OK but I'm not sure about the cleanliness of their tanks. The rest we've been to don't really specialize in salt so I'm never sure what I'm getting.

We're outside of Akron if that helps.

What about Salty Critter? They're about an hours drive time and I'm not sure about transporting that far.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

Caryliss
04/18/2004, 09:30 PM
Salty Critter is about an hour's drive for me too, and definitely worth it. An hour's ride home isn't too much for your livestock. Just invest in a styrofoam cooler (very cheaply purchased at walmart) to insulate the bags.

Salty Critter has the best livestock in northern Ohio, the best dry goods (how many LFS's stock Joe's Juice?), and friendly, knowledgeable staff.

Be sure to check out their website before making the drive--sometime in the next couple of months they will be moving into a new store.

wee-reefer
04/18/2004, 09:38 PM
I second the Salty Critter. I was there 3-4 months back and was very impressed. Quality animals and nice guys to help out!

s1xtyfe3t
04/18/2004, 11:16 PM
If salty critter doesn't do it for ya... try two turtles... it's on market st. in the highland square area. there's also a store in the plaza on the corner of fishcreek rd. and graham rd. near stow. Aquatic tech near southpark mall in strongsville usually has quite a bit of stock. Wet pets plus in the belden village area on whipple avenue in canton carries some saltwater. Seacave aquatic interiors in akron on exchange st. has a small selection, but usually has a few nice specimens. And there's a place in wadsworth called coral reefs that I haven't been to yet because it has very limited hours. But I'll let you know how it is once I can get in there. That should be more than enough to keep you busy for a few days.

s1xtyfe3t
04/18/2004, 11:20 PM
Not that salty critter is bad... on the contrary... they donated all of the raffle prizes at the last meeting... That I happened to win 3 of... at my first meeting :D

soaringfalcon2
04/19/2004, 12:07 AM
We've been to Two Turtles, I 'll have to give them another look.

We buy almost all our FW at Pet Junction (corner of Fishcreek and Graham) but they have a really small SW selection so I wasn't sure about buying from them. The staff I've talked to seems to have pretty limited SW knowledge but they rock for FW.

Thanks for the help!

s1xtyfe3t
04/19/2004, 12:26 AM
definitely check out aquatic tech and salty critter... these two are the best in my opinion.

frag38
04/20/2004, 07:09 AM
Also check out North Coast Aquatics. N.C.A. is located in amherst close to 90, Ohio Turnpike or 480. The owners names are Rick and his wife Nit. They just finished building a store front onto their house. Give them a call 440-371-3990

Lutz493
04/20/2004, 12:13 PM
I just went into the Salty Critter for the first time last week.

I've been to alot of stores in NE Ohio and this guy by far is the best I think. Its worth every bit of my 40 minute drive to get to him.

scrummyotool
04/20/2004, 01:28 PM
north coast aquatics they have excellent products,merch.i was there a couple of days ago and got a few corals and fish Rick is a cool person to deal with plus youll save $$$

fairweather
04/23/2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by scrummyotool
north coast aquatics they have excellent products,merch.i was there a couple of days ago and got a few corals and fish Rick is a cool person to deal with plus youll save $$$

I Second That !! Would Highly Recommend to all !! you will find very unique corals at Rick and Nit's N.C.A. at very competetive prices... Also you couldn't find a better person to deal with.

Terry Lang
04/23/2004, 05:29 PM
North Coast Aquatics - Great prices, healthy live stock. Great guy to talk to for advise or just B. S. about the hobby. Also he has a nice special order program for those hard to find corals and fish.

Call Rick at 440-371-3990

Also if you want to stop by and see my tank I live about 4 miles from Rick... drop me an email.

Terry

zzpw3x
04/23/2004, 10:51 PM
Looks like we should just start a poll:

Salty Critter or North Coast Aqautics.

Seems as though no one else is up to their par. I personally love Salty Critter, and I have to drive almost 2hrs to get there.

Terry Lang
04/23/2004, 11:02 PM
North Coast Aquatics is a newer start up about five or ten miles south east of Salty... worth checking out if you are going to Salty

Terry Lang
04/23/2004, 11:02 PM
North Coast Aquatics is a newer start up about five or ten miles south east of Salty... worth checking out if you are going to Salty

Lutz493
04/24/2004, 12:09 AM
Any of you have the email addy to North Coast Aquatics?

fairweather
04/24/2004, 05:04 PM
call him up and chat with him and get on his mailing list. his phone # is posted above. or PM him

soaringfalcon2
04/24/2004, 11:09 PM
Thanks everyone!!! I'll definitely be checking out Salty Critter and NCA.

purplereef
04/25/2004, 06:23 AM
Hello everyone,
What is the email address for salty critter and where is the store located?

fairweather
04/25/2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by purplereef
Hello everyone,
What is the email address for salty critter and where is the store located?

www.saltycritter.com

Bowman
04/25/2004, 09:47 AM
The Salty Critter is located in Vermilion at

5248 Ohio Street
Vermilion, Ohio 44089

440-967-1634

www.saltycritter.com

For now Dan is at his old location but will be moving to the new location in a couple of months. Dan is open Saturdays and Sundays Noon to 5 PM and other days and times by appointment. Regards JJ

CORALFISHG
04/27/2004, 07:07 AM
fairweather.. sorry to get off topic.. but your aviator is friggin great.. it's so close to what you look like it's scary.. i don't think you have the thick santa style beard though.. lol... jason

fairweather
04/27/2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by CORALFISHG
fairweather.. sorry to get off topic.. but your aviator is friggin great.. it's so close to what you look like it's scary.. i don't think you have the thick santa style beard though.. lol... jason

Hi Jason
Thanks !! my Wife made me cut the beard down , I usually have it ZZ Top Style.
BTW are you looking for any reef equiupment or a 180 gallon tank? times are getting tough for me with no work and I have to start selling all my toys .
Ron

Bowman
04/27/2004, 10:31 AM
fairweather What are the details on your 180? What are you looking to get for it? Let me know I might be interested. Regards JJ

fairweather
04/27/2004, 02:14 PM
its an older Oceanic 180 G 72x24x24
not drilled , with light scratches , and a good front glass
asking $400
theres 2 other people showing interest in it but the bottom line is who has the $$$ First.

scrummyotool
04/29/2004, 03:30 PM
ive been to both shops your $$$ go farther at nca in my opinion
and dollar for dollar the quality is awesome

mercedes216
04/30/2004, 12:07 AM
Where in Wadsworth is CORAL REEFS?? Any contact info would be great, I am near Wadsworth and would LOVE to check them out, Please let me know

s1xtyfe3t
04/30/2004, 12:21 AM
I may have been wrong about it being IN wadsworth but I think it's near there. the phone number for them is 330-645-0006 I went there once a few months ago but found out from the sign on the door that they are only open like 2 days a week so I havent been able to make it in there yet. let us know how it is if you make it in there. I might try calloing tomorrow to find out exact hours.... if memory serves me right friday was one of the days it is open.

Digman
04/30/2004, 07:21 AM
Coral Reefs is on Killian Road in South Akron. I think they are open Thursday/Friday 4-8 and Saturday/Sunday 12:00-6:00 (or maybe 8:00, not sure). It is a quality store and definitely worth checking out if you have not been there.

mercedes216
05/01/2004, 10:09 PM
If they are open I am heading out there tomorrow (coral reefs) I will let you guys and gals know what they are like...thanks for the info on them...

Frick-n-Frags
05/02/2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by frag38
Also check out North Coast Aquatics. N.C.A. is located in amherst close to 90, Ohio Turnpike or 480. The owners names are Rick and his wife Nit. They just finished building a store front onto their house. Give them a call 440-371-3990

:D :D :D :D

Hey look at this other thread I thought I remember.
What happened Rick did you forget your own name?

I'm from North Coast Aquatics in Amherst OH
I have lots of frags. Soft,LPS and many
sps frags. I also have alot of zoo frags.
I may have met some of you at the swap in vermilion.
I will also have some Ice cap A4 VHO ballasts for sale at $115.00 each.

Rick

Terry Lang
05/03/2004, 12:03 AM
There is nothing wrong with a little self promotion. Rick’s quality and prices are great!

jchillin
05/03/2004, 07:26 PM
Terry Lang There is nothing wrong with a little self promotion. Rick’s quality and prices are great!

I agree. I heard of NCA from a worker at another LFS. I have bought from them snails/RBTA/frags and all have been top notch. Good quality and a fair price. Rick is also great to work with!

I was just there on Fri to pick up some frags. His new building is starting to come along, and the new coral tank is a nice addition.

I would recomend giving Rick a call and checking out what he has to offer.

Jon

s1xtyfe3t
05/09/2004, 02:17 PM
went to coral reefs today on killian in akron... I wasn't real impressed. it's not any better than any of the other local stores as far as pricing, and the stock wasn't all that great.