PDA

View Full Version : Jolly Jim's Pets

hEcToR1520
04/16/2004, 01:00 AM
BOYCOTT Jolly Jim's Pets, PLEASE. I went there today with my gf at the one on Sunland Park Mall and saw a 100 gallon aquarium with at least 90 saltwater fish. Thats almost 1 fish per gallon. Also, 4 out of the 5 species of fish were identified incorrectly and they had a black and white striped fish for 60 big ones. I asked them what was so special about one of the most common species of fish (damsels) and they just shrugged like they didn't care. Gee, now I've been in the hobby for 3 years and I know a $5 fish when I see one (http://www.anchofish.com/damsels/damsel_3stripe.htm). I glanced over the puppy cages and they were literally sleeping in their own feces, the birds were hyperventilating and shaking like i've never seen an animal do before. most of the water dishes in the reptile and amphibian cages were bone dry. I'm going back there with my camera and taking a few pics and make some sheets to start spreading them around. I don't usually do something like this but these poor animals have done nothing wrong. They even have a "Nemo" promotion where they stick a 3" Ocellaris clownfish in a 2 gallon tank with gravel and a castle for $125. I would really like to go down there and take some pics and write a letter to one of the local news stations. Hopefully they can shed some awareness to the people who are considering getting into the hobby about the increased responsibility over a freshwater tank. I know a few of the dedicated fish stores here do their part as I'm sure they saw an increase in clientele after the movie came out. Anyone want to add anything? RANT OFF
:mad2:

EdKruzel
04/16/2004, 10:38 AM
Hector,
I know the conditions are deplorable.
Just be careful of any actions you take. Being in the mall, you fall under certain property laws.

Calling the local media and/or PETA is a great way to effect change.

Personally I can't believe that place is still in business with those inflated prices.
Who buys anything out of there? I know I wouldn't.

Make sure we bring this up at the next meeting. If you do manage to get a few pics, or get media interest, I will post it on our site.

Ed

steel442000
04/16/2004, 10:43 AM
Ive been there before and you are absoultley right jolly jims sucks and they take terible care of their animals. I say that nemo setup and aske the if they had lost their mind. I hope you do get something done about it good luck.

jdallred
04/16/2004, 05:10 PM
IMO, call a News Station and have them check this place out. Unfortunately, if people are buying their livestock, birds, dogs, etc... then they will just keep replacing them. Definitely Boycott this place, and definitely let the Media/Community know about it. They're lucky I don't live down there!

hEcToR1520
04/16/2004, 10:40 PM
Like Ed mentioned, being that that place is at a mall, there sure are private property laws. Since i have never done something like this of the sort, what would be the best approach? If I'm able to pull it off, I'll take pictures from inside the store. What would be the best things to say on the letter? I want to take this from a completely legal approach. I do not want to just flat out bash this store if they can get back at me for something. We are in the US and people can sue for any reason nowadays. What do you guys suggest?

EdKruzel
04/16/2004, 11:48 PM
Hector,
I believe a brief description to accurately describe the problem is the best approach.
Keep it factual and not emotional.
I would send a copy to each of the pertinent organizations:

Jolly Jim's Management
Local Newspaper & Television News
PETA
Human Society of El Paso
Better Business Bureau

I would be willing to write a letter as the President of our local Marine Society.

Let me know if you need any other assistance.

Ed

katar
04/17/2004, 12:36 PM
Wow I am glad to see some action being taken I just noticed how bad they are at that store. I will also send some emails to the appropriate places to hopefully get some action taken against them. Hopefully they finally close that store down or fine them to say the least.

Thanks for the heads up I will spread the word about the abuse they run there.