PDA

View Full Version : It got REAL hot....(MH issue)

nvillacci
09/03/2001, 09:02 PM
Ok finally got the nerve up and installed my IceCap 175 watt MH today(YEAH!!). Well it got real hot in the tank and Im worried... I havent been able to get a fan for the hood yet. What have you guys who have MH over there 10 gallons done for cooling? The bulb is about 6 inches over open water surface. Nice shimmering, but now it gets to the 84-85 range when it used to hold steady at 79F.

What size fans should i get? should they blow from the side into the enclosure over the water or over the bulb? Should they blow from front to open back?

The hoods top is open and so is the back. The front is hinged so I can access the tank without pulling off the top.

I ahve a small 3 inch fan connected to teh wiring but it doesnt work now. I suspect teh Icecap ballast is altering the voltage so the fan wont run. i really dont want to buy a $50 dollar icecap fan. What do you guys suggest? Thanks!

nick

Nascar886
09/03/2001, 09:17 PM
You definately need at least one if not two fans. I have a 10gal nano with a 250watter plus actinics. I have two 95cfm fans witch is plenty enough but too loud for me so I wired in series. My house has a/c and is kept around75/76deg also. But with the two fans holes on top/back I can keep temp around 79.5-81.5.

I would get a couple of 40/60cfm fans and have them blow in towards each other and you should drop your temps about 3-4deg.