PDA

View Full Version : Help - Algea Bloom!!!

bigchili
09/03/2001, 08:39 PM
I went to Florida over the long weekend to collect my sand and when I came back I had a MAJOR Algea bloom.

The tank is only 1 week old - and I'm sure this is just part of the process.

While I was gone I left the lights on like normal (11 hours) - should I be doing this with a new tank???

Glass and rocks are covered.

I figured this might happen so I brought back 5 "baby" (real small hermit crabs (REEF GOATS) to help with the clean up.

What can I do Other than reduce the light and wait...

I just added my sand and cleaned the glass so the water was pretty messy so I didn't want to take water readings.

Also - I didn't have the skimmer on it the whole time I was gone either..

Just give me all the advise you can - I'd appriciate it, and as usual - I'm sure I'll get all the ino I need from the good people from this board -

Oh ya - I finally found out what it is like to get stung by a Jelly Fish - I'd rather have teeth pulled.

lakerfan
09/05/2001, 01:09 AM
Hey Bigchili!

from what I know, an algal bloom is very common for a newly setup tank. if you were to put in some algea munching inverts in there they should be really happy. you also might want to change some water and siphon out as much of the gunk as possible.
I can tell that from all the care you've taken in setting up your tank that you are well on your way to a great nano.

mr9iron
09/07/2001, 04:49 PM
Its all part of the "maturing process" bigchili. Dont sweat it, just let it run its course and things will be fine in the near future.