PDA

View Full Version : Dork needs help with lighting on 12 gal...

BamBam
09/03/2001, 07:08 PM
(I am reposting this from the main forum, per someone's suggestion... )

Hi folks... I'm a newbie, had my first tank running for 6+ months, been pretty successful so far, but all I have is lots of live rock (seem to have some nice critters on it), a Tomato clown, a cleaner shrimp, a cowrie, some small snails and some small hermit crabs. I did once have a problem with red hair algae/high nitrates, but I fixed that by water changes + adding a protein skimmer + using nitrate sponge.

Now I'd like to get a bit more interesting with my tank... I'd like to try corals and maybe a clam. Here is my problem:

When I bought my tank I wasn't as prepared as I should have been ... the LFS convinced me that an Eclipse System 12 was all I needed. The filter seems ok (and I put my nitrate sponge in it), and I broke the back of the hood to add a protein skimmer, and I added a powerhead and use a heater in the winter. But the lighting....

The default setup is one 13 watt, 5000K power compact.

I get mixed messages... some say that is fine for mushroom and button polyps, some say its fine for certain corals, some even say its fine for certain clams (!) if i put the clams high enough in the rock. The tank dimensions are roughly 16H, 20W and 10D (its a bow front). What is the truth here?

Right now, it seems like I've got a couple of options as far as the lighting is concerned:

1) Stay with a single 13 watt power compact (although, should I go to bulb such as a 10K?)

2) Do some "surgery" to my hood and remove the current light and put in say, a 55 watt power compact?

3) Buy a tank with more configurable lighting options (can't afford to do this right now)

Questions: If I wanted to keep some mushrooms and lower light corals, what should I do? If I wanted to keep clams and higher light needing corals, what should I do?

Sorry this post was SO long winded.... I am so glad I found this forum, hopefully someday I'll be able to contribute ;-) Thanks!!!

mr9iron
09/07/2001, 04:54 PM
How bout a cople of csl 32 watt pc smartlamps or if your feeling really adventureous try a 175 watt mh retro kit.

king1522
09/07/2001, 09:38 PM
BamBam
Try AH Supply at http://www.ahsupply.com/. They have a solution to your lighting problem with your 12 gal. I believe they have instructions for retrofitting your Eclipse hood. :D

Lewin
09/08/2001, 01:50 AM
The instructions at AH Supply are for a 6 gallon eclipse, but they can be adapted to a different type of eclipse. I upgraded my 6 gallon eclipse systems lighting by leaving the existing lighting (8 watts) and adding a 13 watt actinic bulb just behind the original light. The Eclipse 12's have more room between the lighting and the filtration so you may be able to add two or three. :D

The Unit
09/09/2001, 05:57 PM
i would go with Campion lighting supply-there pc is made for eclise--looks to i have one!-----------------------------http://www.championlighting.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?page=Products/Lighting/pc.html&cart_id=9426879.19268