PDA

View Full Version : yellow tang behavior

DeeJay922
09/03/2001, 04:21 PM
my tang is swimming back and forth aimlessly in my 125 gallon. Do you think the tank is too small for him? It is kind of uncomfortable to watch him, since all of my other fish seem to be enjoying their community. Maybe i don't have enough rocks for him to hide behind, although there are quite a few places he can go. I have 4 damsels ( i can't get them out of my tank) a porcupine puffer, a volitan lion, a percula clown, a huma trigger, a sailfin tang, and yellow tang. I know it's alot, but I am hoding on to a few of my friends fish until his tank is done cycling. The yellow tang is the only one that seems uncomfortable. thanks in advance.

hcs3
09/03/2001, 11:45 PM
hi deejay

your tank sounds incredibly overstocked. a 125g tank should house a yellow tang adequately, provided it is the largest and most aggressive fish in the tank. that is not your case.

a porcupine puffer, a volitan lion, a huma trigger, a sailfin tang, and yellow tang.

if it were me, i'd remove 3 of the 5 fish listed above. the trigger would be the first to go. definitely one of the tangs, and probably the puffer as well. a tang, lion, 4 damsels, and a clown would be near overstocking a 125g, IMO.

I am hoding on to a few of my friends fish until his tank is done cycling.

none of the fish you've listed (with the exception of the damsels) should be in a freshly cycled tank. even after cycling, the tank needs several weeks to 6 months to age with hardy fish (damsels or equivalent).

HTH

henry

Msand9898
09/07/2001, 02:54 AM
I have the same problem, help me out with any info you find...

ZippyBoy
09/17/2001, 04:44 PM
In the wild, tangs are used to swimming long distances basically in 1 direction. When placed in a tank, they can only swim as far as the tank is long, then circle back around (kind of like big cats - lions, etc) that are kept in cages. The tangs behavior is not a function of having enough places for it to hide.

I have a 125 reef with 3 tangs (clown, yellow and purple) that are all very active swimmers. The clown in particular swims the length of the tank at an amazing speed, then stops, turns and swims back in the other direction. They pick algae off of the rocks all day long. They are all very healthy and have grown significantly since I first purchased them. While I'm sure that the tangs would appreciate being in a never ending tank, very few of us have the resources to maintain anything that might approximate that. Don't worry about the tang, if it is eating and growing it is fine.

IMO, your tank would not be overly stocked - IF THEY WERE ALL SMALL FISH. However, you have some potential monsters in that tank, especially the lion, trigger and puffer - each of which will eventually make quick work of the damsels and clownfish. The carrying capacity of your tank has more to do with the type of filtration used, feeding habits, as well as total water volume.

BrianD
09/18/2001, 09:35 AM
I have a 125 reef with 3 tangs (clown, yellow and purple)

Why? It seems that those who practice questionable stocking practices are the first to argue that tank size isn't the most important factor.

Have you researched the clown surgeonfish? If so, where did you find any cite that would support mixing an acanthurid tang (and probably the most vicious) in the same tank with 2 zebrasoma species (also a questionable choice).

Additionally, the clown tang by itself will outgrow the 125.

Brian

Leopardshark
10/08/2001, 10:40 PM
I think space is not the problem here but the tang being unused to your tank, I assume he is a new addition right? let him be there for a few days and he´ll get used to the idea that that´s his new home.
I have 3 tangs (yellow, purple and regal) in my 110 gal tank, and i gotta tell that i´ve never seen healthier and happier specimens in anybody´s house.