PDA

View Full Version : spaghetti macroalgae (Chaetomorpha)

iceman
09/03/2001, 12:40 PM
I just finished pruning macroalgae in my tank and have 2 one gallon ziploc sized bags full of spaghetti macroalgae (Chaetomorpha sp.) This stuff doesn't attach to anything, it just grows in long strands around itself (I keep it in the back of my display tank). I'll sell each bag for $10 which includes priority mail shipping. Warning....this stuff grows fast.

Bob

mgk65
09/03/2001, 04:01 PM
I'd like to say that Iceman is a really good guy to deal with and this algae is the best nutrient sink of all the different macroalgaes that are available.

In addition, this stuff does not go sexual. It will start to take over!

mgk

jellyfish4me
09/03/2001, 04:40 PM
I would like a bag! Do you have a paypal account? If not email me your address and I will send you payment. Either way I will need your email address!

usstampcol@hotmail.com

Grumpy Vet
09/03/2001, 05:09 PM
I purchased some - and I will say - non solicited -

This stuff is amazing......

Exports nutrients like crazy - grows like a weed - but is not detrimental what-so-ever......

Great Macro-Algae.....

GV

Mustang
09/03/2001, 05:18 PM
YGM!

Ken

iceman
09/03/2001, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the overwhelming responses. I've sold everything I have.

houston
09/08/2001, 02:10 AM
Is this the macro that is grows in thin strands as a tangled mass much like spaghetti/vermicelli? If it is, then it is the same one that I have in my display and my refugium that I call the 'Clarence Thomas' macro. :D

This is the best imaginable macro. It has absolutely NO HOLDFASTS and cannot attach to your rockwork. The only livestock that I've had wayward clumps get on is a gorgonian in the corner of my tank. I just pulled the macro off by hand, no harm, no foul.

I actually have two morphs of this macro - one that is slightly lighter green with thinner strands and softer in texture and a second that is a deeper green, a bit shiny, and more brittle.

I have quite a bit available and will send to those wishing to stay away from caulerpa sp. I guarantee that each bag will have critters as well. This stuff is a refugium-in-a-tank (as long as you don't have tangs - one LFS reported that they fed it to their tangs as a treat, but I didn't see it and don't have tangs, so no promises!).

Bubba
09/08/2001, 07:29 AM
Houston,

I'd be interested in some of this stuff.
Please send me a email at bluesdude@cfl.rr.com

Thanks!

jellyfish4me
09/08/2001, 09:02 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I got my spaghetti microalgae from iceman and it arrived fast and healthy! Thanks iceman!

How do I prune it? Anyone know? Do I just "rip" some off? Just curious, for future reference!

bigdogpaul
09/08/2001, 09:48 AM
I'd love to have some as well, and will pay by whatever method you prefer.

houston
09/08/2001, 10:33 AM
One MAJOR caveat for trading/selling anything from my tank for awhile:

I have a current pest in my tank, and I remembered this morning while checking my Montipora sp. to see if I needed to re-dip them. I have/had a nudibranch that looks like the beneficial Berghia sp. that eats aptasia but is much smaller. The one I have eats the tissue from Monitpora. I don't have any wrasses that might eat these, and I don't think my mandarins do, so I don't know if there are any natural controls for these guys. I haven't seen any of the nudis in my grow-out tank where I will harvest the macro, and the nudis don't survive freshwater dips, but it is up to you all if you want to risk it. There are no SPS in my grow-out tank, only the macro, softies, and baby banggai (3 clutches!!!).

You don't need much of the macro to get it started and this limits the chances of nudis coming along. A short dip in fresh water would kill the beasts but would also kill the strombus and pods! I've never seen these nudis anywhere except on the base of the Montipora, and I guess I have had them for a month before I realized what their diet is.

Sorry for not thinking about this earlier - but it is a great reminder to all that any addition to our reefs is a risk!

SaltwaterNovice
09/16/2001, 11:51 PM
Houston,

I am interested in obtaining some of your macroalgae.

Please E-Mail me at BCKLAW@YAHOO.COM to discuss payment, shipping etc.

Thanks,

Brian

Demon
09/17/2001, 10:28 AM
I just wanted to step in here and say, I also have a large supply of this *spaghetti macro* in my refugium that I also need to prune back...
If Houston does not have enough to go around drop me a email at demon026@hotmail.com and we can discuss shipping and payment and such..Not looking to make much off this maybe something like $10.00 including shipping. I also have some feather and grape macro that I could ship if someone wanted to get a mixed shipment...Email if interested and we can discuss shipping...

Thanks,
Ralph