PDA

View Full Version : REDOX Climbing

karburn
04/13/2004, 09:14 PM
This is not really a problem, but.... My little coral farm is doing fine, although shortly after set up, run-in and stocking, the algae monster made it's scheduled appearance. No worries, I've got plans for that. Brown diatoms also developed, which told me to go easy on the Iodine for a while. Although things looked good, I decided to install my Milwaukee REDOX meter/controller. A Ozonizer was on order, so I thought I'd see how things were w/o it. First reading: 67. Yep - double digit REDOX. Time to start the skimmer that I'd installed. The next month I concentrated on stable water parameters; making no drastic changes. Although the algae is still with me, I noticed the REDOX climbing. 2nd week was 167, third was about 230, and within the last two weeks it's gone from 330 to 412 today. This without ozone - I have not installed the generator yet. At this point, I'm thinking "why bother?", but I'm still going to hook it up, plumb it in and set the controller for 350. I know Ozone is a 'handle with care' item, so I'm going by the book. What I want to know after all this is: is my set point for the controller OK? I just want to stave off a sharp drop in REDOX, not maintain 400+ just for show. Thanks as always. - Kevin

Anthony Calfo
04/13/2004, 10:11 PM
I believe that a target redox of 350 mv is very good and practical for most any application, and particualrly for a commercial one. Stability is far better than spikes in attempts to realize unrealistic highs (redox, Ca, ALK, etc).

No worries,

Anthony :)