PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae!!!

fishdoc11
04/12/2004, 10:00 PM
Hey Guys/Gals,
I have been having some hair algae (Derbesia) crop up in both of my tanks recently. My 75 has been setup for 2.5 yrs and this is the first time I have had a problem with it, although I had a problem with bubble algae (Valonia) awhile back. I am thinking it is probably because I removed several hermits not too long ago. I added several Mexican turbos but they are'nt doing the trick. I also have many resident astreas and a couple of turbos that were allready present along with a yellow tang. My params are:
temp~78-81F summer
pH~8.0-8.2
alk~3.0
dkh~9
Ca~425-450
NO3=0
PO4 ~0.1
SG=1.024-25
As you can see my PO4 is a little high and my alk is a little low. Both of these are probably because I have a high fish load. Unfortunately removing some is not an option, at least not yet. I also could use a better skimmer. I have a Prism pro skimmer that I bought before I found RC and knew better. This is rated for a 300 gal tank but is'nt good for anywhere near that IMO. My plan of action is as follows. Remove most algae with a toothbrush. Start doing 20% H2O changes once a week or every 2 weeks (currently 20% every 3 -4 weeks). Buffer alk to ~11-12 with baking soda once a week until stable. Maybe add some Mexican Hermits and/or scarlets, possibly more snails. Garf sells the Mexicans, says they won't eat snails(highly unlikely but worth a try instead of blue leg snail murderers). What do yall think?
thanks, Chris

SRA4031
04/12/2004, 10:25 PM
Hey Chris, that is why I started once a week, algae problems after using someone else's water. Algae is clearing up after three weeks, and coralline is taking off now. Also, emerald crabs are great for it. I have been told three for my 75, and it helps with Bubble algae.

Sir Knight
04/12/2004, 10:40 PM
Your plan should clear up your algae problem. I would also get a better skimmer and correct the PO4. You can use either a sponge or by adding pickling lime (Kalkwasser). I like using pickling lime it is a more natural source.

I agree with you about Hermits. They need to get larger shells as they grow so snails are their top choice.

:thumbsup:

fishdoc11
04/13/2004, 08:39 AM
Goldeneagle,
I have 2 emeral crabs in there too, forgot to mention them.

Joe,
Can I dose kalk with my topup and not drip it? I add about 1/2 gal twice a day. I was thinking that would be too much of a shock pH wise. Also could I add it at the same time as my 2 part? That would mean I could add less 2 part which would be good.

I was thinking about getting a Remora pro with the mag drive 3 pump and the overflow. What has everyone heard about that skimmer?I have seen mainly good things.

rcmike
04/13/2004, 08:55 AM
You remember that fat lawnmower blenny of mine? That is how he got so fat. If you are looking for something to eat it that is what I would get. Of course they have a cool personality also.

fishdoc11
04/13/2004, 09:08 AM
I thought about that Michael, especially after seeing yours(very cool fish). Problem is I allready have too many fish in there.
thanks, Chris

SRA4031
04/13/2004, 09:11 AM
Hey, if you need me to take a few off your hands. LOL

Sir Knight
04/13/2004, 10:34 AM
Can I dose kalk with my topup and not drip it? I add about 1/2 gal twice a day. I was thinking that would be too much of a shock pH wise. Also could I add it at the same time as my 2 part? That would mean I could add less 2 part which would be good.

To manually add 1/2 gallon of kalk at once would shock your tank. If you add too much Kalk to the top off water. You can either use a auto topoff system or talk to me at the meeting and I can tell a way to add it to your tank without shocking your tank. It is easier to talk thru then type. It is very easy just takes a page or two to explain. To give you an idea you mix a per determined amount of kalk with RO/DI water. Depending on your needs add enough Kalk to raise your pH by .2. The .2 raise in pH is only temporary and goes down in a hour or so. This will not harm anything in your tanks. I will explain at the meeting if you like.

You should not add kalk at the same time you are adding a two part additive. it will cause the Kalk to precipitate.

Yes you will be able to add less of your two part additives when you start using water changes, pickling lime, and baking soda.

Hope this helps

wooglin
04/13/2004, 12:03 PM
Hey Chris, you need to contact me, I can show you how I dose my Kalk with my autotopoff. It only costs about 50 bucks to setup an automated autotopoff, puts a small enough amount of fresh water in "1/8 of an inch" that it does not shock the PH of the system. I have it hooked up to a timer that turns off the auto-topoff at about 4:00PM and turns it back on at 8:00PM, this is so the kalk does not cause my PH to go over 8.4. The PH runs between 8.2 in the AM to 8.35-8.4 at lights off. Then at 8:00PM it is boosted from about 8.3 back to 8.4. Then the overnight decline that is common to most tanks occurs. It works very well and requires very little work. I fill my topoff tank with saturated kalkwasser twice a week. It holds 6 gallons. The only limiting factor as far as size, is you dont want the kalk to sit around to long, it loses its affectivness over time, but you could probably get away with 10 gallon top-off container if you have room.

Sir Knight
04/13/2004, 12:22 PM
Hey wooglin,
Keep in mind I think that Chris doesn't have a sump. So it may be a little more difficult in his case. But I agree the auto topoff system is a lot better. I also used a Neilson reactor now if you go with this, it will run for about 6 months without adding any Kalkwasser(Pickling lime). All you need to do is add water to your top off water container. As far as I can tell no CO2 reaction from room air.

Just trying to help

gflat65
04/13/2004, 12:38 PM
wooglin
I need to get with you about the auto topoff. I tend to get some massive evaporative rates in the summer time, so I'd love to be able to combat that this summer. I will have a sump in the new tank, so it should be pretty easy?

wooglin
04/13/2004, 12:41 PM
I used the auto-top off on my 30gallon before I moved it to the 75 with a sump. The top-off worked fine, but it is possible that the kalk solution may be too concentrated if it enters the tank directly, I dont know, I did not think about that. It does get to the main tank within about 15 seconds of dosing, but it is somewhat diluted by the 20 gallon sump. Hmmmmm

wooglin
04/13/2004, 12:52 PM
GFlat, it is very easy. Just contact me.

Sir Knight
04/13/2004, 01:03 PM
Just wanted to let you know about sump less. You can add directly to a tank I did without problems for years. All you need to do is add it to a high flow area, like next to the return or power head. Just wanted to let you know about this, but I think you have it covered. I can show you what I did with a cup of RO/DI water and some kalkwasser. I was putting it right in the tank by a high flow area. The trick is to get the proper amount of kalkwasser added to raise the Ph by .2. This is best done about a hour after the go out or an hour before the lights come on or both. I used this method in my greenhouse because it was just easier. I did 11 tanks in maybe 2 minutes. I like top off adding, less work with a home tank.

In my tanks in the greenhouse I was evaporating about 10 to 15 gallons of water a day in the summer months so to add Kalk to a top off system would be a real problem. So the mix and dump worked well.

Sir Knight
04/13/2004, 01:07 PM
wooglin,
Since you are getting requests for auto top off systems, why not give a presentation on them at one of our meetings. This way everyone that doesn't know how they work can see one first hand.

What do you think?

wooglin
04/13/2004, 02:50 PM
Yes I could do a presentation on top off systems. I am attending this weeks meeting, but it may be a little to soon. It would be best to have a unit to demonstrate with, and my float is somewhat permanently attached to the tank. I will see what I can do.

fishdoc11
04/13/2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys, I really apprechiate the help.
Wooglin, when I decide to change my tank to a RR with a sump I will definately get with you about the auto top off. We have talked before about it and it seems like a great system. How is your urchin working? Is it the urchin pro and are you using the mag 3?
Joe, Sounds like that is what will work for me. I look forward to hearing about it at the meeting.

thanks, Chris

wooglin
04/13/2004, 09:00 PM
It is the Urchin Std, and I am using the Mag 3. It makes anywhere from 1/3 of a cup to 1 full cup per day of the FUNK!!!!

fishdoc11
04/13/2004, 10:13 PM
Sounds like it's working well. I am thinking about getting the remora pro with the mag 3, overflow box and the drain fitting. I would really like to upgrade my tank to a RR 90 or 120 but that's at least $1000 to $1500 and that does'nt include time for the switch. Something I just can't do right now.
thanks, Chris

Sir Knight
04/13/2004, 11:11 PM
sorry I didn't read your post correctly I was thinking you were going to add a sump, and a pre filter

wooglin
04/13/2004, 11:59 PM
You might be suprised Chris. My 75 ReefReady with stand, a 20 gallon sump, and a couple of bags of sand was about 475. I would not imagine a 90 would be much more.

Sir Knight
04/14/2004, 12:46 AM
Chris,
I agree with wooglin, a reef ready AGA 90 will cost about 90 to 100 dollars more than a RR 75 and you can use the same stand and canopy.

Not trying to spend your money or anything. :)

fishdoc11
04/14/2004, 05:56 AM
Yeah, if I did anything I would upgrade to a RR 90 or 120. I don't plan on getting a RR 75. I wish I could upgrade but I just spent $700 on new bulbs, maintenance stuff and new lights for the 55(all of which I needed). Plus I allready spend more time than I have on my tanks. I was including a sump, pump, Euro reef skimmer and all that good stuff with my very rough estimate. Also the reason I mentioned a 120 was that would probably just be about $400-500 more than the 90 and I am having to remove corals now that are'nt my favorites. In other words I don't have any room left. For now I am a full time student(limited income)and the tanks pretty much pay for themselves(except electricity). So I probably just need to be happy with what I have. For now, but.....................
thanks guys, Chris

fishdoc11
04/14/2004, 06:29 AM
I guess I should have said surface skimmer instead of overflow box and when I get a RR sometime down the line. Sorry for the confusion.
thanks, Chris