PDA

View Full Version : glass top under VHO's?

fishdoc11
04/12/2004, 09:29 PM
Hey everyone,
I just upgraded the lighting on my 55 to 4 110 watt VHO's. They fit nicely into the hood Ebay ordered for me (thanks guys). I still have my glass top in place and can leave it there as there are no heat issues so far. I was just wondering if any of you run yours unprotected. I have 3 piece moisture resistant German endcaps so I was thinking it would be ok. I would like to remove the glass top to make the tank more accessable. What do yall think?
thanks, Chris

Sir Knight
04/12/2004, 10:29 PM
Hey Chris,
I was reading a thread a couple of weeks ago about VHO's. Some people have had problems with water splashing starting fires, endcaps turning brown and melting and the water proof caskets drying out. When I was using them I tried them without a glass shield and the endcaps did turn dark brown after about 6 months of use. When I had them in a PFO hood with glass shield I didn't see that happen. I would recommend not running them without the glass shield.

Also are you going to be selling your PC's I may be interested in them let me know

Hope this helps

reewik
04/13/2004, 05:37 AM
I had the same set up on my last 75 and had no problems for a long time. My light just quit one day but that was the ballast. My end caps were fine. If this is a common problem I too would leave the glass but maybe just take the front off.

coralreefing
04/13/2004, 07:10 AM
I removed my glass top about 3 years ago & have had no problems with my PC or VHO lights. The glass blocks a lot of light & salted glass is worse. That being said, I know it isn't recommended & I've heard water splashing on a hot bulb could cause it to break & fall into the tank. You'll have to weigh the risks vs the gains & make the decision. I don't have any fish that splash a lot like wrasses & those bulbs are pretty tough so I decided to risk it.

Chris

Dexter1334
04/13/2004, 07:41 AM
Recommendd height above water for VHO is 3" or less according to the guest speaker at our last club meeting.

That said, it is much easier to clean the glass than the light fixture. In the long run if you keep the glass clean I think you would have more light reaching the tank than VHO without glass.

I compromised and just have panes of glass below the light, and it is open front and rear because when the water level drops I get bubbles from my return and salt all over everything. If you never get bubbles and salt creep I would go VHO alone.

fishdoc11
04/13/2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys. I do have a couple of jumpers in there. I guess I'll leave it in place for now. Sorry Joe, I allready sold my pc's. I am very happy with them by the way, thanks chris for recommending Hellolights.
Chris

wooglin
04/13/2004, 04:05 PM
I would remove the glass top. I dont like the idea of the top of the tank being mostly sealed. We all talk about surface area for the benefit of aeration, etc, then we seal up our tank with a glass lid. Why not install a lexan shield in the hood just below the bulbs, then they are protected, lexen lets most of the light thru, and you have the best of both worlds.

fishdoc11
04/13/2004, 06:45 PM
Unfortunately I can't attach a shield because of the way the top opens. I agree that it is better to remove the glass but I have it situated where it still gets some air exchange. I'm still toying with the idea of removing the glass someday because the hood has large slats in the top that should dissipate the moisture if I decide to.
thanks, Chris

gflat65
04/13/2004, 07:03 PM
I don't have any jumpers, but I have almost always run with out the glass. I did have a URI VHO (I will never buy from Hamilton again-nothing but bad experience after bad experience and lies) explode over my tank one day. I had a cover then, thankfully. I don't even shield my MH. I may be playing with fire, but I haven't been burned yet. I will modify this somehow with the new set up. I may add something just below the lights like wooglin suggested. I noticed you have a small shield just below your MH's.

I think that clean glass cuts 15% of the light, so you can imagine what the crept-over glass will cut. I know that doesn't help you any, though.