PDA

View Full Version : Sequence Pumps?

algaeguy
04/12/2004, 09:26 PM
Hey Gang,

I am researching options for a new system pump, and I heard some discussion on Sequence pumps. People seem to have mainly good comments about them in terms of power, reliability, etc. I guess what I'm wondering is: Are they quiet enough for indoor use? How is their energy consumption compared to an Amp 3K? In fact, how do they compare to the Ampmaster overall in terms of power, reliability, quality? Or, am I better off buying an Ampmaster and just be done with it?

I would love to hear any comments on this line of pumps.

Thanks,
Scott F.

Konadog
04/12/2004, 11:00 PM
Scott, I haven't put mine into use as of yet, but Dave B. has one on his system and it is silent! I don't think you will have a problem with it inside. Anything has got to be quieter than my Iwaki.

algaeguy
04/12/2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Ken!

I agree about the Iwaki noise...It's a great pump, but it really makes too much noise. Frankly, for the same price, it seems like you can get a much more powerful pump that is very quiet!

I wonder what the power consumption is for one of these...

Scott F.

cali_reef
04/12/2004, 11:41 PM
I have a sequence 6000 in NY, not hooked up yet. I will let you know how much amp it pulls in about 6 weeks. :)

They have a new line out now with a clear pump head so you can see if it needs a cleaning. Looks pretty cool.

algaeguy
04/12/2004, 11:45 PM
Thanks, Pierce...

What kind of GPH does it put out?

Is it pressure rated?

I'm debating on wether or notthis would be a better pump for a closed loop or for powering my system...

Scott F.

cali_reef
04/13/2004, 12:07 AM
I think the one I got is a 6000GPH and rated to 22 ft. Not sure what the drop off rate vs head pressure is but I am sure it is a little better than ampmaster. It has a bigger motor the wattage on it is a little higher, but you know how inaccurate those ratings are :p.

algaeguy
04/13/2004, 12:10 AM
Thanks again, Pierce...

I asume that this pump has a 2" in and 1 1/2" out, right?

Scott F.

cali_reef
04/13/2004, 12:25 AM
Umm, I am not sure. I will get it out of the garage for a look tomorrow.

JellyTheory
04/13/2004, 04:27 PM
Scott - I have a Sequence 3600 that puts out 3600 gph. So, I'm pretty sure Pierce's puts out 6000 gph. I know the 3600 has a 2" inlet and 1.5" outlet. I am actually working on setting it up today as a closed loop with two 1" seaswirls. I'll let you know how it turns out. If you're planning on going on the SCMAS tank tour on 4/24, I'm not on the tour but on the way to the first stop at Greg Carroll's house in Norco. So, you're more than welcome to come by and check it out.

Pierce - Any buyers on your system yet?

-Chris

algaeguy
04/13/2004, 10:03 PM
Hi Chris!

Thanks for the information!

Sounds like the Sequence pumps are a great combination of power and durability...and Quiet!

Please do update on yours when you get it up and running...Pics of your closed loop would be cool, too!

Unfortuantely, I'm going to miss the SCMAS Tank Tour next weekend (doing my SCUBA certification dives!), but I'll have to take you up on your offer at a later date!

Thanks!

Scott

JellyTheory
04/14/2004, 02:10 PM
Hi Scott,

I would have updated this last night, but was too busy cursing myself for not checking sooner. I got everything done for the closed loop yesterday except for hooking the two 1" SeaSwirls up. I had never checked to make sure the outlet part of the 1" SeaSwirls would fit in the just under 1 3/4" holes in the Eurobracing on my tank. Turns out, the holes are about 1 - 2 mm too small. Since the tank is glass, I don't know what to do. I called Aquarium Currents (SS company) this morning and left a Voicemail. And am currently waiting for them to get back to me.

I really didn't think the outlets would be as large as 1 3/4 inches but I should have checked.

I have a 3/4 ss on one side of the tank being run by a GRI 510 right now. I could always just buy another 3/4 ss but I'm concerned that the Sequence 3600 will be way too much pump for two 3/4 sea swirls.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know!

-Chris

cali_reef
04/14/2004, 03:08 PM
Chris,

You can try to enlarge the hole with a Dremel tool. Con did it for Graham on my old 150 gal. He used a small diamond bit and slowly scrip the hole out.

Or you can have two 3/4 sea swirls plus a few fix nozzles; I am doing this on my 180 gal. I will end up with two 3/4 SS on the center back and four fix nozzles on the front of the tank.

I have a used 3/4 SS and is willing to trade up with some cash for your 1 inch.

JellyTheory
04/14/2004, 03:31 PM
Hi Pierce,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. That's what Dave B suggested too. I will have to give that a shot. Does Con make house calls?

I might have to go with the two 3/4 inch seaswirls and a few fixed nozels instead. Only problem is I don't have any extra places to affix the fixed nozles. :(

I'll definately let you know if I decide to go the 3/4" ss route.

-Chris

cali_reef
04/14/2004, 11:44 PM
Scott, Forgot to check the pump inlet size yesterday.

The one I have has a aluminum bodied 1/4 hp german motor and has 1.5 inch inlet and outlet. It maybe one of their older models and the last owner claims it is only two years old.

algaeguy
04/16/2004, 01:09 AM
No problem, Pierce...

On my new tank, I will definitely go with all 2" plumbing...I think that the Sequence might be a good choice, although I'm still debating about the AmpMaster...

Guess I want to see how your goes!

Is the thing quiet?

Scott

cali_reef
04/16/2004, 02:27 AM
chris,

Here is a picture of how mine is setup.
http://www.amazingreef.com/Misc/New-Tank-Closed-loop.jpg

All the horizontal pipes are 1.5 inch and the vertical pipes are 1 inch with a 90deg reducing ell to 3/4 inch at the outlet.

I am not sure if Con does house calls, he lives close to me and did Graham's tank at my place before we moved it.

Scott,
Not sure how quite the pump will be, won't set it up for another two months. I have a few projects to do in the new place before I can set up the 180. need a new roof, refinish the wood floors (1,300 sq feet of it.), finish the garage, rewire the entire house, put in a central air system, finish the full size attic, finish the basement, etc. etc... Oh, I have to move Cindy and the dogs out here too. This house will keep me busy for the next two to three years I guess this is what I get for buying a house built in 1927:lol:

David P
04/18/2004, 12:47 PM
Scott I just did a quick check the other day of GPH vs w. It seems the AM3K has a slight advantage. www.pondpetsusa.com has a bunch of different pumps including an Artesian (same concept as the other two) but it may be even more efficent than the AM3K. I just saw it this morning so I havent figured the GPH/$

algaeguy
04/22/2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks David...

That's some interesting stuff. I've been such a big Iwaki fan for so long (largely because of their reliability and ruggedness), that I need to look into these more powerful pumps. For all of their benefits, Iwakis are just too damn noisy, IMO!

How is the long term reliabilty issue with AmpMasters and Sequence pumps? Does anyone have a feel for that? I've heard of lots of problems with seals on the Ampmasters, but I have also heard that these have been corrected in the more recent models?

Whatcha think?

Scott

Konadog
04/22/2004, 11:06 PM
Scott, I went in the the group purchase of the Ampmasters last year, and checked out if the seal problem had been taken care of. As far as I could tell, everyone that purchased one recently is happy. I hope to hook it up to the two 1" sea swirls I got in the last group buy. Just remember, the Ampmasters are not pressure pumps. Restricting flow does not increase pressure, just less flow.

I agree about the Iwakis, I love mine but its just noisy!

As for what I will be putting all of this on, I am in the same boat as you. Wanting to upgrade to a 180 or 230.

algaeguy
04/23/2004, 08:19 AM
Hi Ken:

Yep- I thought that the seal thing was supposedly better now...

It will be interesting to see our new systems evolve!

You're gonna use just the amp and Sea Swirls, or is that just your closed loop?

Scott

Konadog
04/23/2004, 09:14 PM
Just the closed loop. I may still use my Iwaki for a return pump and my SEIO's for more flow :D

cali_reef
04/24/2004, 01:26 AM
Scott,

Looks like Eric found a cheap source for Sequence pumps:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=361448

algaeguy
04/24/2004, 08:13 AM
Ahhh- Thanks, Pierce...

The 4200 looks pretty sweet...

Now, if someone can just set one up and give us the honest low down on noise, electrical consumption, and priming, I'll be ready to make my decision...

I like the fact that Eric can replace all of the extra pumps with just one....

What's everyone's take on that? Using one pump to power the sump, circulation, etc?

Scott

David P
04/24/2004, 10:23 AM
Im running a sequence on my pond. Its very quiet. If you really want to, you can come over and give it a listen.

Salt-Reefer
05/13/2004, 05:30 PM
I'm using sequence pumps, 4 of them to be exact. 3 3600 (2 for CL and one for return) and 1 3200 (pressure rated) for the skimmer. when I was doing my testing I had a ll 4 of them running and there is hum with all running but there all in equipment room and with the door closed they cant be heard.

Steve

P.s. you can look at my gallery to see some pics.

Old Yeller Tang
05/15/2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Salt-Reefer
I'm using sequence pumps, 4 of them to be exact. 3 3600 (2 for CL and one for return) and 1 3200 (pressure rated) for the skimmer. when I was doing my testing I had a ll 4 of them running and there is hum with all running but there all in equipment room and with the door closed they cant be heard.

Steve

P.s. you can look at my gallery to see some pics.
Steve,

VERY impressive setup!:bum:
I have a new 3800gph Sequence pump that I will be installing soon!:)

Roland

David P
05/15/2004, 11:56 AM
finally your post showed up Roland, I received about 10 email notices that you posted....

Eric Boerner
05/17/2004, 01:19 PM
Scott,

After doing a lot of calculations, I've figured that I just can't get my skimmer on the same pump. I've tried to work out a way to get a high pressure head to the beckett, without having too much back flow on the rest of the circulation and it can't be done. So... I am using the Sequence to run my return, "open"/closed loop, and chiller feed. I have a sedra 900 that is strictly for the skimmer. If I didn't have a beckett, or a non-pressure pump required skimmer, I wouldn't have a problem. Still though, I've managed to cut down about 180 watts of current draw and increase my tank flow 800 GPH.

cali_reef
05/17/2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by David P
finally your post showed up Roland, I received about 10 email notices that you posted....

Me too !! :lol:

algaeguy
05/18/2004, 11:15 PM
Eric-

What is the electrical draw on the Sequence that you use?

BTW, and pics of your plumbing scheme?

Thanks!

Scott

OUinLA
06/07/2004, 05:35 PM
algaeguy, I don't know about all the pumps but Sequence in general, are pretty efficient. The only one that I know isn't efficient is the "Stingray". I haven't checked the "Hammerhead" though, but I would expect it to be about like the "Stingray". The Stingray will use around 250-300w depending on head height. In a closed loop is uses over 300w.

Sequence also has a newer pump called the "Dart". It is a very very efficient pump w/ almost the same flow as the Stingray. It's around 3600 gph at 2' of head. It uses 110 watts at that height and doesn't go over 160watts. The Dart also has a 2" intake which Sequence tells me is a big reason it is so efficient.

algaeguy
06/07/2004, 06:05 PM
Wow!

That sounds very interesting...

Power, efficiency- and quiet operation...Could be huge! Thanks for passing the info along!

Scott

moonpod
06/10/2004, 11:58 AM
Sequence pumps are great. I love 'em.

Old Yeller Tang
06/10/2004, 12:11 PM
No one has yet to say just how quiet they are. Hopefully, as quiet as AmpMasters.

moonpod
06/10/2004, 12:12 PM
yes they are.

Old Yeller Tang
06/10/2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks Chuck!;)

moonpod
06/10/2004, 12:27 PM
Roland, actually I should say as a caveat, I have not used the new dart, hammerhead, etc...pumps. I have the "old" or "regular" SEQ10 and SEQ12 and these are every bit as quiet as ampeaters.

Old Yeller Tang
06/10/2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I was wondering if different models made any difference but it seems like the AmpMasters all seem quiet so maybe it'll be so with the Sequence's.
I was in a rush to install my Stingray but it needed too many modifications to take the spot of my Amp3k that I'll just take my time when I go on vacation in a couple weeks and do everything then, like install my new reactor Ryan built me too. Ofcourse I did plan on tiling the bathrooms and laundry rooms too so we'll see!:rolleyes:

mathman
06/12/2004, 12:31 AM
I am interested in buying the "dart" model for my sump pump and I want to divide it into at least 4 returns lines. What type of plumbing scheme do you guys use to achieve this? Is it just several T's?

SHARKSRME
06/12/2004, 01:14 AM
i like these. http://www.performancepropumps.com/

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/18579000_0001.JPG

SHARKSRME
06/12/2004, 01:21 AM
another...shes 1/4 hp, 367 watts, 4944gph at 13' and 2400gph at 21.5'

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18579pump.JPG