PDA

View Full Version : clarkii clowns

clowntank10
04/11/2004, 11:33 PM
i read your issue on reefkeeping on clownfishes. it is very good:) I am going to purchase 2 clarkiis from my dealer. i have a 55gallon tank with 2 damsels in it right now its a FOWLR set up. it will soon become a reef. i was wondering the best way to set up my tank for the clowns how much sand in inches how much live rock and etc ( i want my clowns to feel at home) if posible i want them to spawn. i am trying to set up a natural system. right now i have a protien skimmer and a hang on the back fiter(for the carbon) i was wondering what i need to add to my system to make it a natural setting. i also have about 25 pounds of live rock and some live sand about an inch of the bottom of my tank. i have been reading a lot of books about the natural system and clkowns but they dont seem detailed enough. if there is anything i should know about clakiis good or bad please reply or PM me. I am a newbie so please tend to explain stuff much clearly. thank you very much. if you know any tv channels about the sea or marine aquarium(tropical) please pm me

hcs3
04/12/2004, 08:55 PM
hello clowntank10,

clownfish are pretty easy going in regards to their requirements. any healthy reef system will adequately provide for long term care. perhaps the most natural setting you could provide would be the symbiotic host anemone. however, i caution that these are not as easy to care for as clownfish and require a good deal of research on their own. once you figure out the clownfish species you want, select their natural host anemone read and learn as much as you can about their natural habitat and aquarium requirements. once the aquarium can provide for the anemone the clownfish will be easy!

perhaps the best book for you to consider purchasing at this point is joyce wilkerson's "clownfishes." everything you could ever want to know about clownfish is located within that book.

HTH

henry