PDA

View Full Version : California and Mexico Collecting Trip

Bent Barrel
04/11/2004, 08:03 PM
I am having difficulty in obtaining information about collecting inverts and possibly fish from Southern California and Northern Mexico. Does anyone know where information can be found about these areas to collect saltwater fish and inverts? Thanks ahead of time.

DgenR8
04/12/2004, 07:43 AM
It's good that you're looking into it, because chances are, it's not legal.
I wish I could steer you to who could tell you for sure, but I don't know. Do research it first though, you don't want to chance winding up in a Mexican prison for a few snails ;)

PRC
04/12/2004, 08:45 AM
Not sure about SoCal, but re MX have a read here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352704

GreshamH
04/12/2004, 07:36 PM
Our company has been exporting out of Mexico since the late seventies. All Coral out of Mexico is illegal as is any collections by any one with out some very hard to get permits. No hobbyist collections in CA with out severel permits as well, sorry.

bunnyman
04/13/2004, 01:17 PM
Gresham...I've been thinking about leasing some sea floor in SanDiego and seeding....
where to get info on that...?

surfy
04/17/2004, 11:52 PM
I Haven't really looked into it but I have heard of people getting a permit to catch octopuse and jellies in CA. I guess it all depends on what you are after.
I'm going to try to get a permit to catch Bimac octo's down by the san diego/mexico border.

GreshamH
04/20/2004, 12:19 AM
Uh, seeding live rock you mean? I guess you'd go to Fish and Games site.

You can get permits to collect MO, its just attached to other permits you need to get. Its a commercial permit, there is no hobbyist permit. I think you have to list you vessal(boat) on the permit as well. Most whom I've had contact with collecting Bimacs are doing so as a hobbyist who don't know that a simple fishing license isn't a permit to collect live animals.