PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a sump

baz
04/10/2004, 08:22 PM
Need sump for 55 gallon tanks not drilled and cant be more than 10" wide. Height and length not to concerned about.

Baz

mfinn
04/10/2004, 08:32 PM
I made my own out of plexiglass. Contracted a local store that sold the materials with the measurements for a box and a few stiffeners and a over and under flow thur. The place where I bought the materials sold the acrylic glue and they gave me instructions on how to glue it together. It was easy. It was my first time and my sump, which holds approx 45 gals. of water most of the time is about three years old.

baz
04/10/2004, 08:46 PM
well being a rookie to this hooby i am having a hard time still grasping the concept of a sump. I have read many articles here but it just does not click. So therefore calling someone and trying to make a custom sump will be somewhat challenging :)

Baz

mfinn
04/10/2004, 09:25 PM
It is easy if you think of it as building a box only out of acrylic or plexiglass.
I'd bet someone in the do it yourself forum has simple plans.

hmoore
04/12/2004, 04:49 PM
The only thing that I don't like about not having the tank drilled and incorporating a sump is priming the U-tubes. Anyone with experience getting these puppies running will tell you that they'd rather have an overflow box with a hole in the tank feeding the sump.

Do you know if the tank is tempered or not? You may be able to find someone to drill it and you could just place a turned up PVC elbow just below your water level. I don't really like overflow boxes as they do consume critical real estate.

The sump allows you to hide your unmentionables (heaters, skimmer, etc), move surface film out of the tank, and be able to top off easily.

spencerx15
04/12/2004, 06:47 PM
I have one that i built that i am almost positive will fit under a 55g. Its acrylic, and has one high baffle (originally a refugium, but that can be changed). Let me check on the measurments, and if it works its yours.

baz
04/12/2004, 06:50 PM
cheers!