PDA

View Full Version : how bout 110w instead of 72watts over a nano?

Lunchbucket
08/31/2001, 09:46 PM
am thinking of getting 2x55w bulbs from ahsupply w/ 2 more bulb holders. then making a custom hood that is 22" long....yeah yeah it will hang over 1" on each side of the tank...big deal. my 55gal hood was bigger than the tank and it looked nice! the same ballast will run 2x36w or 2x55w so all i need is bulb and 2 more bulb holders. i thought about getting 2 22" reflectors but...nah i will use the 17.5" one i have now.

right now the right edge of my tank is a little darker because that is where the socket is for the bulbs. this way i would have light over the whole tank...and a lot of it!!

so what do you think. that way i can have 110w over my 10gal instead of 72w. that would be nice wouldn't it?

plus they have a 10,000k bulb in the 55w. 10k and a actinic would be nice. i like my tank a little more blue and this 65k and actinic isn't cutting it for me

later
Lunchbucket

lakerfan
09/01/2001, 01:13 PM
Hey lunchbucket, I currently have that wattage over my 10 gal also. when i was buying lights i was looking at a 2 x 36watt setup too, but my LFS gave me a good deal on the 2 x 55 watt JBJ setup so here I am with that much light over my tank. i was even able to upgrade to the new JBJ setups with the built in fans on the side. Check out my site on the equipments list and you can see some pics of how i put in the light.
BTW, IMO you should just purchase the bulbs from lampsnow instead of the ahsupply bulbs if you really want a blue tone to your tank. I have heard many good things about the new blue bulbs that Lampsnow.com carries.

HTH
BEN

Lunchbucket
09/01/2001, 02:25 PM
lakerfan thanks. i will check out the site and also check out the bulbs from lampsnow.com

later
Lunchbucket

oohnoo
09/01/2001, 07:50 PM
HiHo Lunchbucket
I also have the two 55watt lamps on my 15gal. That was one of the reasons I went with it rather than th 10gal and the lighting is just great. I would like to go to MH but I don't know if I have the room above the tank as there's a cabinet above it, might have some heoght restrictions.
What bulbs are you talking about from lampsnow? I just bought one from them and it's the same bulb that I got from ahsupply. Same markings and everything.

lakerfan
09/01/2001, 08:21 PM
I was talking about the Actinic 03 PC bulbs that a lot of people claim to come closer to NO or VHO actinic colors. I will be ordering the lamps in a couple of weeks so I can see for my self.

oohnoo
09/01/2001, 08:55 PM
Yep that's the one. I ordered one and to my surprise it was the same one that ahsupply has, same makings, same color everything. So now I got a spare. Would like to sneak ina MH under my hood though. Any thoughts on this. Would like to know what the distance away from the surface it has to be and how close to the top of the hood it could be without burning the canopy.

Reef-lite
09/01/2001, 09:23 PM
Oohnoo, add another 55-watt lamp. You won't regret it. I just added a third 55 watt lamp to my 15-gallon. I am much happier now. I have a 6700k in front, actinic 03 in the middle and a 10000k in the back. The actinic over the middle makes a huge difference in coloration. Before, I had it in the back so that the corals would get the benefit of the 10K in the front. I didn't realize how much color I was losing until I added the third lamp and was able to rearrainge the order of the lamps. My green tree coral lights up like a christmas tree now.

oohnoo
09/01/2001, 10:40 PM
I don't think I got the room for another bulb as I'm using the reflectors from ahsupply. Here's some pics

Lunchbucket
09/02/2001, 12:17 AM
ohnoo, have a pic w/ that bad boy on the tank??

thanks
Lunchbucket