PDA

View Full Version : MASLAC's Forum

algaeguy
04/07/2004, 09:11 PM
Ok Everyone,

Just wondering...I am curious as to why the MASLAC Forum is perceived as "dead," just because there are not dozens of posts a day on it? Now, I think SCMAS forum is great, and the members and officers who post there are terrific, but I don't think it is fair to consider the MASLAC forum a "non-happening" group because the forum is not active. You'll notice that many of the individuals who post regularly on the SCMAS forum are MASLAC members, or at least regularly attend MASLAC's meetings.

When one reads how "dead" this forum is, especially when posted by MASLAC members, it tends to discourage others from wanting to post. I'm not sure why MASLAC members are hesitant to post on our forum. I would bet that if people would start posting more of their new topics and replies on this forum, then more individuals from both SCMAS and MASLAC will post here for the benefit of everyone. Granted we haven't had alot of the "sexy" posts such as "I just picked up my new A. Acrorarecoralfragus," or "Want to Sell my Euro Reef Protein Skimmer," etc., but why not post an occasional tank picture or general husbandry question here? We have a terrific group of people that will chime in offering their assistance when possible.
Posting threads such as "Yeah, I'll bring the red one next week," or "You got mail..." is not what I would call activity.

I have posted a number of threads that actually generated some response, and that has been really cool. However, due to my obligations at WetWebMedia, I cannot spend as much time as I would like to haunt these forums. I think many of you who visit regularly are really more dialed in than I am. Try to use this forum more, before you pronounce it dead!

I guess it all comes down to this...I don't think it is fair to say that MASLAC's forum is "dead" because no one posts here. It is less active because no one "CHOOSES" to post here. If you post, "people will come..."

Scott F.

Salt Creep
04/07/2004, 11:20 PM
Plus, we do have the Yahoo mail thing and get announcements and such directly to our email. I like it in Reef Central though, because the messages for one topic stay together!

Ken (one of several)

nanocat
04/09/2004, 01:08 PM
MASLACr's unite !!! :D

Konadog
04/09/2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Salt Creep
Plus, we do have the Yahoo mail thing and get announcements and such directly to our email. I like it in Reef Central though, because the messages for one topic stay together!

Ken (one of several) One other thing to think about is that new people that find RC can find MASLAC here, not many new people will find the Yahoo mailing list.

(the other Ken)

thetedinator
04/09/2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Konadog
One other thing to think about is that new people that find RC can find MASLAC here, not many new people will find the Yahoo mailing list.

(the other Ken)

That is a very good point. I didn't know anything about the yahoo group until recently. I found the MASLAC link via RC, visited this forum many times but without any activity, I gravitated to the SCMAS forum. I joined MASLAC only because I eventually figured out that a lot of reefers posting on SCMAS were MASLAC members and that MASLAC is very active. I'm glad I joined MASLAC and would encourage anyone is SoCal to do so.

It seems to me that some of the recent email topics out of yahoo would have been suitable for posting here.

Finally, I was not trying to discourage anyone from browsing or posting to this forum. I was simply making an observation. If you check recent threads, I started several trying to jump start activity on this forum.

Ted

algaeguy
04/10/2004, 12:22 AM
I really want to get this forum going, and it seems like only you, Ken, and a few others keep this site "happening." I'll do my best to keep this site going!

Scott F.

David P
04/10/2004, 10:33 AM
The only reason the the SCMAS page does so well is because Kevin moved that 5000 page thread "So Cal Reefers" over there and everyone just kinda hung out. How long was that still the only thread in the whole area?

mcsock
04/12/2004, 12:50 AM
Hmmm...move a thread.

o2manyfish
04/12/2004, 12:53 AM
It is less active because no one "CHOOSES" to post here. If you post, "people will come..."

Hmm, Scott -- Is the tank 1/2 full of SPS or is the damn tank just 1/2 empty.

Well I guess it's partially my fault, cause over the past year I have started a couple of threads in the forum so that it wasn't entirely dead.

Okay, let's start a thread called "Funny Things Lance Will Say" --- In a couple of weeks we should have one of the biggest threads on RC.

Lance, if you read this, sorry to post on you - but my head is still ringing from your voice calling out all the tickets last night (Which thanks to purchasing my tickets from the cuter ticket seller, I won nothing !!!!)

Dave B

thetedinator
04/12/2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by o2manyfish
It is less active because no one "CHOOSES" to post here. If you post, "people will come..."

Hmm, Scott -- Is the tank 1/2 full of SPS or is the damn tank just 1/2 empty.

Well I guess it's partially my fault, cause over the past year I have started a couple of threads in the forum so that it wasn't entirely dead.

Okay, let's start a thread called "Funny Things Lance Will Say" --- In a couple of weeks we should have one of the biggest threads on RC.

Lance, if you read this, sorry to post on you - but my head is still ringing from your voice calling out all the tickets last night (Which thanks to purchasing my tickets from the cuter ticket seller, I won nothing !!!!)

Dave B

My ticket purchase method kind of works. I buy in a 2 - 1 ratio. 2 tickets from the cute seller for every 1 ticket from the, er, um, other seller! I just missed the SEIO (damn Ken!). Maybe next time the ratio will 3 - 0!

Ted

Konadog
04/12/2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by thetedinator
I just missed the SEIO (damn Ken!). Maybe next time the ratio will 3 - 0! It wasn't me, I swear!!! I wasn't there!! I was having much more fun moving my sister-in-law from Glendale to Anaheim :(

thetedinator
04/12/2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Konadog
It wasn't me, I swear!!! I wasn't there!! I was having much more fun moving my sister-in-law from Glendale to Anaheim :(

Salt Creep Ken, not Konadog Ken. However, just to show I'm not partial to anyone, I'll see if there is something I can blame on Konadog! J/K

Konadog, you missed a good meeting. cya next month.

Ted

Salt Creep
04/12/2004, 10:44 PM
I guess it was a good night for me, I won three times! The SEIO pump is great, thanks again Dave for bringing it!

Ken (the damned one)

Konadog
04/12/2004, 10:58 PM
Ken, you will love that pump! I was given one by Dave a few months ago, it was then that I finaly understood what all the hype was about that type of flow. You will really like the new bracket also.

Salt Creep
04/12/2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, the new bracket swivel thingy really helped. I couldn't have mounted it the way I wanted to without it.

Those suction cups are really weird though. Are they supposed to be so loose?

Ken

Konadog
04/12/2004, 11:09 PM
They fit really tight in the socket but because they have that little extension thing, they seem to flex a bunch. No problems so far. I just got the new bracket two weeks ago.

Salt Creep
04/12/2004, 11:16 PM
In my case, they fall right out of the lower holes of the bracket, but it works anyway. Just wondered about the flex!

Ken

Konadog
04/12/2004, 11:24 PM
Ken, look at the suction cup, there is a notch that should snap into the bracket. Check to see if yours have snapped into the bracket. You have to slide them to one side after putting them thru the hole. They shouldn't slide out at all. Its one tight fit, but it fits.

Salt Creep
04/12/2004, 11:50 PM
Oh, okay. :)

Ken

csunracer
04/21/2004, 11:53 AM
The new seio pumps rock! Big thank you to Dave Botwin. I put one in my prop tank, and my xenia frags almost immediately perked up and started pulsing like they never have before. Finally rio has made a worthy product!