PDA

View Full Version : Xenia not happy today!

thedogofwar
04/07/2004, 05:43 PM
the only thing I found off was alk, low at 2.5

think thats it?

this sux, I was hoping to get some credit at LFS for frags.

The red sea xenia and everything else looks great.

thedogofwar
04/07/2004, 05:50 PM
how do i do the baking soda thing? how fast, I'm pretty sure its the alk.

lil'salty
04/07/2004, 05:57 PM
just do a water change about 5 gallons and see what happens

jerryc
04/07/2004, 06:06 PM
try theis

www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

thedogofwar
04/07/2004, 06:08 PM
thats pretty cool but it's not doing anything. ?

NM i got it, dont try calculating anything with values in the other calculator.

thanx Jerry.

jerryc
04/07/2004, 06:12 PM
you fill out with perimeters of your tank pick the product you
want to use it will give amount to use and how be shore to
fill out all of it or it want work but

thedogofwar
04/07/2004, 06:30 PM
........dripping baking soda, praying to reef gods.........

thedogofwar
04/07/2004, 07:17 PM
I decided to check the alk again and got 3.25 I had just started dripping and didn't think it could have jumped that fast. So I did it 2 more times with near identical readings. I think I choked on that 1st one somehow.

I'm not so sure it's the alk anymore. it's disheartening to read that this elongata is impossible to keep for some. I'm gonna make somebody take all this stuff if it makes it till Sat.

This will be the 2nd time this has happened with this type. theres no help because nobody really knows jack about it. :mad:

I'm sure glad Scuba gave me that nice piece of Red Sea.

UofAHog
04/07/2004, 07:44 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but I really laugh at these xenia threads.

I got a tiny frag with 3 polyps when I was starting my tank and it has grown into the bane of my tank's existence. I don't know which is worse sometimes, flatworms or my xenia. I just can't get rid of the stuff and I want to.

thedogofwar
04/07/2004, 09:55 PM
doesn't bother me, the experts don't even know what the deal is. Some ppl claim that the more pristine their water conditions, the worse it seems to do. It grows rapidy for me then just dies off one day. the elongata xenia curse.

what type do you have?

saltaddict
04/08/2004, 01:17 AM
I have the same kind, and if anyone wants some, theyre welcome to it :)

lil'salty
04/08/2004, 01:42 AM
give it light and it will grow every time i have seen xenia that was less than happy it did not have enough light
mine has never looked better than with the 400w beating down on it

thedogofwar
04/08/2004, 07:26 AM
you're right they do like light but I've had it for 3 months now. it spent 3 weeks w/o the halide when I fried the ballast and it didn't seem to miss a beat. It's been closer to the light for the last 2 weeks with all the xtra LR I added. with the bulb only 6" off the water, it is 9" from the light, thats only 3" of water. another strange thing is that the largest of the 3 seems to be melting the fastest. It's almost as small as the mid size this morning. it's also the highest positioned one.

it puzzles me and it's almost a relief because it was climbing across the rock towards the PH. I was gonna have to frag it up to save it anyway, but why the little ones too? oh well I wanted it mostly for Tawnya's liking anyway.

Scuba Dog
04/08/2004, 07:31 AM
thedogofwar

Has there been any change in the system at all. How are your other corals doing? what about temp?

thedogofwar
04/08/2004, 08:17 AM
scuba, everything else looks great. temps fluxuating a bit right now with the changing season but still 77-80

the RedSea Xenia looks better than ever, SPS growing well, The Tubastrea polyps are much fuller and has already gained prob a dozen new polyps. The pink zoas have already regained every polyp I have fragged off. the coppers you gave me have grown quite a bit. Overall, the system has never been better. I double checked every parameter.

the only change was to Kent Salt about 2 weeks ago and the additional LR. I'm hearing they like alk on the higher side so I continued to drip what should raise that about .5meq/l

I keep telling myself to forget it, the experts can't even explain these elongata happennings, but I just can't leave it alone. I always have to know why. I'm just done trying to keep, I'm one of the ones that can't I guess.

Scuba Dog
04/08/2004, 08:42 AM
thedogofwar

Sometimes blank happens lol...I just lost my green pearl that did great for like six months....but it took up so much room and had stung so many frags Im glad to see it gone. I try to keep my alk up around 11 dhk, some reason sps likes that higher alk, get better color and growth that way...

thedogofwar
04/08/2004, 05:23 PM
well the alk was at 3.5 when I got home today. The frag and smaller colony look a little better. The large one, still not doing so good.

lil'salty
04/08/2004, 05:36 PM
the salt change could do it
just a samll piece of salt creep will make an entire colony melt to almost nothing
also the more light the smaller the colony looks
ime

thedogofwar
04/09/2004, 07:11 AM
everything continues to improve. I'm seriously contemplating fragging this larger one up. I'm pushing the alk a bit higher but of course my calcium is dropping. I've got an imbalance, right now I'm blaming the Kent salt.

jerryc
04/09/2004, 09:08 AM
Dog I've always been leery of mixing different salt brands
may not make a differens but always felt it could have
a balancing problem i don't know the best way to
change would be slow are with a major water change
after all the years keeping fish some times i believe
all that I have learned is how much i don't know

thedogofwar
04/09/2004, 04:39 PM
:) I got the alk pushed all the way up to 4 and I think it's all going to make it. It all looks much better today. very cool, it might actually be a good thing, the main stalk on the large colony is shorter and it looks better this way. Not pulsing quite as fast or smoothly but hopefully it will recover from that too.