PDA

View Full Version : My Banggai's Are Breeding!!!!

Spikehs
08/31/2001, 12:13 AM
Hey,

I just thought i would drop a line and say i saw my banggai's breeding tonight!!! i definately plan on raising them so i guess i have to get my sump in order now.....I did have a couple of questions though.

1. How do you "enrich" baby brine shrimp with selcon?
2. Can someone point me to a good diy shrimp hatchery?

Thanks...

I'll be taking lots of pics if anyone wants to see them!

FMarini
08/31/2001, 09:59 AM
Hey back
Congrats and welcome....your journey has just begun.
I would definately become intimate w/ all the articles available here
http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml, and www.rodsreef.com
A good DIY brine breeders is available at rodsreef. You can find others as well, but my article explain how i do it.
Also read thru all the banggai related posts here(in the breeders forum) we've had tremendous discussions on everything from selcon-enrichment, to alternative foods(one person has reported that he raises banggai fry w/ fish eggs)

So read away....
so how many days has the male been holding eggs?
good luck
frank

Spikehs
08/31/2001, 11:21 AM
Hey,

Well actually i am not sure if he has the eggs yet, but i saw them doing the "dance" and there isn't really any mistaking that for anything else, plus he really hasn't eaten for a few days......that was last night (a couple of hours before lights out) this morning his jaw doesn't seem to be swollen.....yet.....any suggestions, think he might have the eggs and just not show it?

FMarini
08/31/2001, 11:48 AM
He back:
No he really can't hide the eggs...most males will take on about 40-60 eggs, so their jaw is really swollen.
If hes refuses food...then your in business
The dance....yes I remember it well
great...keep me informed

Spikehs
08/31/2001, 12:17 PM
I just fed my fish.....and the male ate :( , maybe he is impotent? have you ever heard of them dancing a few times before they get it right? A little bit dissapointing if you ask me...oh well i hope they'll do it again. Any suggestions to get them past the dance? I have a yellow tang in the tank who, while not harrasing them constantly does chase them for a "brief" period....not seeming to hurt them..but more so to show them who is "boss". I know its only the first time they tried, but do you think this could be having an effect, he kind of bothered them a few times while they were doing the "dance".....any other info/advice would be appreciated!

UPDATE: they did the dance for a second day in a row....still nothing...

Spikehs
09/04/2001, 10:30 PM
UPDATE: its now 4 days since the last shimmy incident...and nothing.. i saw the male backing up into the female (perhaps to try and induce the shimmying??) but other than that nothing..any suggestions or input would be appriciated...thanks in advance

FMarini
09/05/2001, 01:02 PM
Hey:
Just give it time...since the male appears interested your up to the whims of the lady...My guess is she has to make more eggs. I would continue to feed them really nutritious foods.
time will tell
frank