PDA

View Full Version : Rose Anemone

Solitaryensis
08/30/2001, 09:10 PM
i have a rose with a base of about 2
inches and i would like him/her to split (spawn). Wondering if anyone knew of a way to induce this. Thanks

UPDATE: So its been almost three months. The anemone has grown probably 3 or 4 times its size through some brine and mostly formula one and two but unfortunatley no splitting. I heard that the anemone will split under stress and unfortunately i havent "stressed" it out. It has stayed in its place ever since i got it. Any other ideas guys or gals?

Carlos
08/31/2001, 09:21 PM
There are different types of rose anemones. Not all rose anemones split. If you obtained your anemone from a splitter, then most likely your anemone will split. If not, it will get rather large but not split.

Provide enough lighting and good water flow and if in fact you have a splitter, it will start doing so soon.

Carlos

OrionN
09/04/2001, 09:42 PM
Feed him as much as he can eat, about 1 cc of fish or shrimp ever 2-3 days. If you do this, he will growth very fast and will split if he is the type that will split.

Jared Cooper
10/25/2001, 12:35 PM
I just bought a tank born rose bubble from AC in Hayward. The guy at the the store said he fed the rose's 1/4 cube of formula 1. He told me that he found this the best thing to feed young rose anemones to make them grow fast and get very bright. Maybe it is the vitamins in it or something but I plan on it. My rose is only 2 inches.

jbf16falcon
10/31/2001, 09:27 PM
I feed mine 65+% protein MYSIS shrimp that is soaked in Selcon and rolled into a small ball.
I feed them at least once a week.

I have fair water flow of with a turnover rate of about 1200 gallons an hour and Skim my 175 gal tank 24/7.
SG 1.025 to 1.026
my CA fluctuates from 180 to 400 , the lower end when I don't do my water changes and get lazy. While other coral let me know they are unhappy with the Ca level the anemones don't seem to mind.
My Alk is always low at about 3.5 dkh

I started with two Rose Bubble Tips 2.5 years ago and from them have 34 in the tank now, I've sold 6 not reflected in that number.

Not bragging but just agreeing , if you have splitters and conditions are favorable then you will have them running out your ears. With prices what they are at some sites on them, it's not a bad thing to have a lot of them.

For some reason my experience with them is when one splits they all seem to do it at about the same time if they are large enough. I don't know what triggers it. Sorry I'm so long winded.
would be glad to send some not too good picks of the colonies to anyone that wants an e-mail

Jared Cooper
11/01/2001, 01:49 AM
I've been feeding mine every day so far. Will this make it grow faster or am I just wasting food? I have a green bubble that is twic its size in the tank. Does anyone think this will become a problem. In other words will the green BTA compete with the rose? Dr. Ron told me not to worry about it but I am curious about anyones experience.

jbf16falcon
11/01/2001, 06:29 PM
In my opinion you can overfeed and be hurting the overall water quality of your tank. When my anemones really want to be fed I observe they extend and open more fully. With so many in a tank it's easy to miss feeding one. The next day I go back and feed the ones that have extended and opened more fully. The others that were fed are a little more lazy about putting on a show :-)
Rose Bubble....Green Bubble..... they don't know the difference. I've got a green sitting right in the middle of a colony of roses, they all touch each other and none complain. Might be a different story if they weren't basically just color variations of the same.
Remember they suppliment what you feed them by taking up nutients thay flow by etc. Just watch them they use a body language to tell you when they are and aren't happy.

JG
11/04/2001, 01:52 PM
I bought this rose from Aquarium Concepts as well. Hopeing it will split soon :). Been feeding it every other day alternating between squid chunks, krill, and formula 1. It always excepts food and snatches it from my hands as I place it in the tentacles.

http://images.fotki.com/photos/2/27015/48612/rose1-vi.jpg?1004806587
http://images.fotki.com/photos/2/27015/48612/rose2-vi.jpg?1004889947

Its also grown about 75% bigger in the 3 weeks that I've had it