PDA

View Full Version : new tank and stuff ordered

Sir Knight
04/06/2004, 11:42 PM
I ordered my new AGA 75 gallon rr tank, modern oak stand and canopy, lights, 30 gallon sump, euro reef skimmer and 100 GPD RO/DI.
I have the skimmer already(came in today). The sump and RO/DI should be here next week. The Tank, Stand, Canopy and lights should be waiting for me when I move in. I will pickup my salt, sand and pump when I pickup the tank.

I am going to be ordering TBS live rock for my new tank. So if anybody needs some live rock let me know and we can do a group buy. I will most likely be ordering 80 to 100lbs on May 17th or 18th.

This is the first time in many years(15+) that I haven't had a tank setup. It is weird :(

rcmike
04/07/2004, 06:16 AM
If you get any unwanted mantis I'll take 'em.

Sir Knight
04/07/2004, 09:47 AM
Sorry Mike,
The reason I am ordering TBS is in hopes of getting mantis, hairy crabs, etc. The tank is going to be fish only with live rock(FOWLR). The fish that I am going to have are a puffer and a wolf eel. So those pests are going to be food for these guys.

:beer:

rcmike
04/07/2004, 03:38 PM
At least they are going to feed some cool fish.

fishdoc11
04/07/2004, 04:19 PM
Years ago when I worked in a pet store that has now ceased to exist we had a wolf eel. He would eat krill out of my hand, very cool. I'm not sure how smart that was but me doing things that are'nt that smart is another story. Those will be some spoiled fish!
Chris

Sir Knight
04/07/2004, 04:22 PM
I am not going to be ordering TBS live rock for my new tank. I am going to be ordering from Gulf view Marine. So if anybody needs some live rock let me know and we can do a group buy. I will most likely be ordering 80 lbs on May 17th for myself.

Dale is going to be saving me all the mantis shrimp and hairy crabs he can find. My puffer and wolf eel are going to love them.

:thumbsup:

Sir Knight
04/07/2004, 04:32 PM
Hey Chris,
I know exactly what you mean. I had a few lion fish and I was stung, not once, not twice, but four times. Man you would think that fish would have known after the second time I wasn't trying to hurt him I'm just stupid:)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

reewik
04/07/2004, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a great system Joe. I look forward to meeting you at the next meeting. Congrats on the sale of the house.

I have a 120 I am dying to set up salt...... I want to have the tank drilled but I will have to look into. I will not be doing it for a while though. expenses for the baby are not cheat. She is 8 months and on food and formula. When I cut loose of the formula we will see.

fishdoc11
04/07/2004, 09:18 PM
As long as were talking about upgrades. Joe, did'nt I read you were looking for a reef ready 90 or 75? Did you ever find a 90? I was running moving to that through my head so I could utilize a sump and get a better skimmer. I would get a little more water volume and still be able to keep it in the same place and use my current hood and stand.
thanks, Chris

Sir Knight
04/07/2004, 10:51 PM
Chris
I was looking for a 100 rr 5 foot tank. I couldn't find one in glass that was reef ready from a manufacturer that I trust. For that size tank acrylic was over priced IMO ($500.00+ for just the tank). So I went with a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump.

My reasoning is this, a 90 has the same water surface as a 75 so for a FOWLR there is IMO no advantage with a higher tank, with the same water surface. I am not going to have high finned or super active fish.

Now with a Reef tank you would get more height for more corals. Which IMO will let you have your light demanding SPS's at the top of the rock work and the lower light needing corals at the bottom.

Also a reef ready tank in MO is always the way to go. It just makes life easier to hookup a sump,etc. With less chance of something going wrong. like the hang on the back overflow stopping a flooding the tank. I had used these and added a float switch just in case. If I were you I would go with the 90. As you stated same size stand, canopy and it is for a reef tank.

My favorite 48 inch tank is a 120 gallon. It gives you the best of both worlds 48X24X24 same length and height as a 90 but more width which gives you a greater water surface. I also like the over all look. To me more uniformed.

I will most likely upgrade the 75 to a 125 after we get our new townhouse and make the 75 a reef tank and the 125 a FOWLR.
So for now I am just trying to get something easy to move in 6 months.

Also, this is not an upgrade for me. The tank I just sold was a 300 gallon 120"x24"x24" with a 90 gallon sump. ;)

reewik,

Thanks.
Just want to pass on some of my experience with daughters.
My daughter is 27 and when she was growing up it didn't get any cheaper the older she got, so you may want to do it now:)

Sir Knight
04/07/2004, 11:56 PM
Also Chris,
I am getting a precision Marine 30 gallon sump 30x14x16 from premium Aquatics. If you get it from them tell them I sent you.
The one they are showing is the 15 gallon model the 30 gallon has two bulkheads for overflow connections.

Here is a link to the item

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=PM-CL30&Category_Code=CprSump

Hope this helps

wooglin
04/12/2004, 01:35 PM
You can build one of those real cheap... There is a guy on EBay selling all the stuff including glue, with instructions, real cheap.

Sir Knight
04/12/2004, 11:42 PM
Hey wooglin,
I'll check it out.
Do you have a link?

:beer:

wooglin
04/13/2004, 06:41 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3212&item=2394301889&rd=1

Sir Knight
04/13/2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks wooglin,
This wasn't the guy I was thinking of. The guy I was thinking of, was selling pieces of acrylic that wasn't cut correctly and not including the right amount of glue, etc. He was selling an Acrylic sump that you had to assemble yourself. He got a lot of bad posts about has product .

This will work for my next tank and save me some bucks.

Thanks Again :thumbsup:

fishdoc11
05/03/2004, 10:40 PM
Hey Joe,
I noticed you have added a 38 reef to your plans. Curious as to what kind of setup you're going with.
Chris

Sir Knight
05/03/2004, 11:13 PM
I'm thinking a softie tank and flame Hawk with a 40lbs. of LR, 2 to 3 inch sandbed, closed loop with an Iwaki MD 30RLXT Japan motor/960GPH, AquaC Remora PRO skimmer/ mag3 pump with skimmer box, SLS T5 light hood with 6 bulbs ( 2 -blues, 2-actinic, 2 - 50/50), 2 -4" fans in hood for cooling and top off system. I'm going to make this one sump less.

This will be my first Nano system with an October time frame.

fishdoc11
05/04/2004, 06:45 AM
Sounds like a nice little tank. I'm thinking about getting that skimmer for my 75, except possibly with the Mag 7.
Chris

reewik
05/04/2004, 07:10 AM
I bet goldeneagle would be interested in your skimmer if you get another one Chris.

fishdoc11
05/04/2004, 07:12 AM
I will move the one on my 75 to my 55 if I get another one for the 75. Where is Goldeneagle by the way? have'nt seen him post in a while.
thanks, Chris

reewik
05/04/2004, 07:14 AM
He got a job. He even said last night that he has not posted in a while. I think he is just adjusting to the job thing.