PDA

View Full Version : what does everyone do to get the scum off the top of the water?

Lunchbucket
08/30/2001, 08:02 PM
just looking for more suggestions of how to get the scum off the top of my water.

i don't have an overflow, just a hot filter. i have heard to use a paper towel but that doesn't work the greatest. also, to sink a cup in the water slowly, that works but takes a lot of time.

any way to get it off quick and keep it off?

thanks
Lunchbucket

lakerfan
08/31/2001, 01:27 AM
I do two things to get rid of the surface junk.
1) I have a Surface prefilter attachment to my Aqua C remora and
2) I just recently added another PH to my system that is mainly pointed to the top of the tank. It works great for me.

Lunchbucket
08/31/2001, 12:30 PM
well, i don't have a skimmer and don't wnat one either.

so, i have seen these eheim suface skimmer tubes. but i don't have an eheim. will they fit any hot filter??

HELP
later
Lunchbucket

chipmunk
08/31/2001, 12:36 PM
my friend easily attached the eheim surface skimmer to his Rena canister filter and it took care of all of his surface sludge problems, said it was the best $30 he's ever spent, now that he doesn't have to constantly fight the slime...he tried the paper towel trick too - didn't work very well.

-chipmunk

Lunchbucket
08/31/2001, 12:37 PM
hey chipmunk can you get me some info on that surface skimmer thing?

what size is it? length, width, also what size is the tube it connects too

thanks
Lunchbucket

chipmunk
08/31/2001, 01:17 PM
lunchbucket,

my friend got it from www.petwarehouse.com

you might be able to get info on the dimensions from: http://www.eheim.com/

but, when you are working with flexible tubing, it's VERY easy to get one size to fit another, just get some connectors available at any well stocked LFS.

good luck, please let k=me know if you need any more info.

-chipmunk

p.s. if you are only looking to take care of a bit of surface sludge, the eheim product should work well. my friend had a freshwater planted tank, and his surface sludge was like an oil slick and thick with algae...kinda looked like pond scum in his tank...so if his major problem was solved with the eheim product, then you should have good results.

Lunchbucket
08/31/2001, 01:25 PM
thanks just need to get one now :D

later
Lunchbucket

mobert
08/31/2001, 01:32 PM
it is 11 3/8" tall and is connected with 5/8" OD tube. I'm going to try to adapt it to a maxi-jet or maybe put a maxi-jet in a overflow box with a spray bar like I think Chili did.

chipmunk
08/31/2001, 04:19 PM
I saw the eheim in action and it works great. The only drawback I can think of is that it's green like most eheim products. Green can be kinda hard to hide in a reef tank. Too bad they didn't make it in black.

Perhaps hiding it behind some live rock or caulerpa?

in time, it will be encrusted with purple coraline algae and end in anyway, I guess!

Lunchbucket
08/31/2001, 04:36 PM
cool thanks chipmunk

i will definately get a hold of one of those!!

pitabu
09/21/2001, 08:05 PM
Here's what I did-took a short piece of PVC, cut 4 grooves(through plastic) on one end, capped the other end, poked a piece of tubing though it and attached it to my HOT. With a heater suction cup to hold it near the surface, it worked like a charm. Total cost-$1.50. Nice thing is, I can hear when the water level drops because it starts sucking in air.

chinese101
09/23/2001, 12:46 AM
nothing removes surface film like an overflow box. found a small one for 5 bucks at my lfs. stick it on the back of my tank, put the suction tube of my hangon filter in it. instant overflow. works like a charm.

lee

Tadashi
09/23/2001, 11:13 AM
I created my own surface filter boxes from my CPR and Remora HOB. I have pictures at www.bonsai-reef.com/diy.html

chipmunk
09/24/2001, 06:52 PM
lunchbucket,

Did you ever pick up the eheim? How did it work out for you?

-chipmunk

Lunchbucket
09/24/2001, 08:47 PM
no i didn't i was looking through the pet solutions catalog and found that aqua c makes thier own surface skimmer...brand new. so i got one and am very pleased

there is a thread about it on here w/ pics and all

later
Lunchbucket

TommyBoy
09/25/2001, 09:57 AM
Anyone know of anybody who has modified a prism to use a surface skimming device? I thought I recall someone doing this mod. some time ago.

Lunchbucket
09/25/2001, 10:05 AM
i think Tadashi did, check out his site. otherwise i remember seeing it somewhere too...can't remember

later
Lunchbucket