PDA

View Full Version : Help with identification

mhazel
04/05/2004, 08:46 PM
I saw this about 8 months ago in my old tank...and hadn't seen it since - even after moving everything to a new tank. Now it is back!

Can anybody give me a clue as to what this "thing" is? Is it OK to leave it in my tank?

I'll also post a few photos to my gallary.

Thanks for your help!
Maryann

kmk2307
04/05/2004, 09:02 PM
Hey Maryann,

That's a chiton! It's an algae eating mollusc. It is of the class Polyplacophora as opposed to the class Gastropoda that snails belong to. Nearly all chitons are harmless algae grazers. How did you get it? Live rock? I have one just like it in my tank. I'll dig around for a pic and post it if I can find it.

Kevin

mhazel
04/05/2004, 09:09 PM
Must have come in with some of my live rock. This is only the second time I've seen it and I've had this rock for about 7 years, so maybe it is getting hungry? How large do they get?

Thanks for your help!

kmk2307
04/05/2004, 09:16 PM
Maryann,

I'm not sure how big that species gets. I suppose it could get pretty darn big fully grown. Some cooler water species get up to one foot. I'll bet Dr. Ron could narrow it down to genus for you which would give you some more detailed information.

HTH,
Kevin

mhazel
04/05/2004, 09:27 PM
That would be cool. I think it is about 5 inches long right now.

sagitariuscbc
04/07/2004, 05:05 AM
mhazel-here is a thread for you. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94590