PDA

View Full Version : how did you get started

jerryc
04/04/2004, 06:28 PM
I no everyone has answered to theis before but I would like to
Here it from club members
I kept freshwater fish for the kids when growing up after they were grown up i took the fish back to store while there , looked
at their display and really enjoyed watching it a few weeks later
i begin ordering material to change their 29g over to a
reef. :)

Scuba Dog
04/04/2004, 07:08 PM
I always have been fasinated with coral reefs. Thats why i started scuba diving. When I found out that corals can be kept in captivity I was hooked. When I bought my house last year i started seriously considering a reef tank, then one day a buddy of mine offered me a 75 he wasent using anymore for 200 bucks lil did I know that was problay the most inexpensive part of the hobby lol...hear I an nearly a year later with cool fish and corals some of which would cost several grand to go see in there native wateres such as new zeland and the red sea....

headhawg7
04/04/2004, 08:19 PM
Extra money and time already invested in African cichlids so I said what the hell. I had a good friend who owned a pet store so I got everything at cost.

thedogofwar
04/04/2004, 08:48 PM
Well I have to give credit to Tawnya. I did alot of FW several years ago but got rid of everything just before the move to Arkansas. One day Tawnya came home and said the guy up the road had a fishtank and stand for sale. Hint taken ;) so we went up to look at it. Got the 29G tank and stand for $20 and both agreed that for appearace, we would like to do SW. NP, I've done this before, just add salt, right??? :rolleyes: :eek:

jeff967
04/04/2004, 09:04 PM
guppy's about 37 years ago

lil'salty
04/05/2004, 01:37 AM
got into saltwater after working at hellco, petco, for a few months
mostly to keep the retards i worked with from killing everything lol

thedogofwar
04/05/2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by lil'salty
got into saltwater after working at hellco, petco, for a few months
mostly to keep the retards i worked with from killing everything lol

Good Man! :thumbsup:

Kayo
04/05/2004, 05:04 PM
Spent a year and a half on Midway Island in the Pacific, snorkeling and diving almost every chance I could. I had a marine fish only tank for about 3 years. I wanted something more natural and realistic looking.

Paul B
04/05/2004, 05:47 PM
Always had freshwater then about nineteen sixty something I found figure eight puffers so I added some salt. Then I got monos, archerfish and bumblees and added more salt. In 1971 there was a large aquarium store near the World Trade Center and they got in blue devils. Had to have them so I added more salt. It gradually became a reef. My reef was started as a freshwater tank probably around the early sixtees. I still find marbles in there from when I was a kid.

saltaddict
04/08/2004, 01:27 AM
The girl I was dating at the time came home with a betta in a cup and the wrong food. We went to the same petco salty spoke of and got the right food, then the following weekend we came home from another petstore with a 48 hex and "everything you need to set it up saltwater". Well, a few grand later and i still don't have everything I think I need. :)

coral lady
04/10/2004, 10:41 PM
I went into A pet shop that was going out of business, she
was selling her 20 gallon set up tanks for 20 bucks, I had goldfish
when I was a kid an thought the kids might like to have some.

Then I started reading about fish and man I was hooked!!!
that was about six years ago, I kept freshwater for about a
year, and then got A 55 gallon saltwater tank, that grew into
75 gallon reef that grew into A 135 gallon reef addiction!!!!

man who would have ever thought that little 20 dollar tank
would have cost me so much over the years!
:p

Karen

bjpembo
04/13/2004, 06:55 PM
I lived in hawaii for 3 years while i was in the marine corps and enjoyed the ocean there. When i came home and settled into a new job i began to miss things and decided i wanted a salt water tank and set up my 29 as a fish only tank with a lemon peel angel and a couple of damsels, and just look where it led me.