PDA

View Full Version : New local aqua culture business

Digman
04/02/2004, 09:54 AM
Yesterday there was an article in the Beacon Journal about a local guy that is starting his own aqua culture company...
http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/business/8327426.htm?1c
There is a 3000 gal tank in the works and if it takes off he has goals of an additional 50,000 to 100,000 gallons for raising aqua cultured corals. This could be a great resource for local reefers.

Sloth
04/02/2004, 10:30 AM
Appears you have to register to view the article.

Did it say when its going to be operational? Is it going to be a wholesale or retail place?

Digman
04/02/2004, 10:50 AM
Sorry, I was able to get on the site earlier this morning. Here are parts of the article...
The 27-year-old Akron resident is setting up his new business, Tidal Gardens, which will cultivate and sell living coral for use in the tanks of reef aquarium hobbyists.

In two months, Thein said he'll be ready to sell coral at his online store, www.tidalgardens.com. Eventually, Thein said he'll have 300 varieties of coral available.

Thein said in addition to filling a niche, he hopes his business will increase awareness of aqua culture as a viable option to developing coral.

``Ninety-five percent of all coral sold comes from the reef. But the coral reefs are dying. The hobby takes a lot of blame for that,'' he said.

Thein said his current plans of the 3,000-gallon tank will allow him to service a national market, but he hopes he'll get funding for his larger project since he worries that he'll be unable to keep up with demand once he starts selling his coral.

Sloth
04/02/2004, 11:11 AM
awwwwwsome! Now delete the post and lets keep it our little secret! ;) :lol:

dave2184
04/10/2004, 06:00 PM
Dendronepthia is his user name he is currently building a greenhouse for this purpose. Great guy i got a bunch of corals and my current 75 gallon and stand from him awhile back.

KMKJA1
06/09/2004, 09:25 AM
I contacted Than via e-mail. He says he hopes to have a preliminary set-up done by July 1 but that it will be a couple of months before he is actually selling corals. Locally he is not zoned for retail activity but we locals only need to make an appointment to visit and buy on site.