PDA

View Full Version : OK First Clam

me_rob
08/28/2001, 02:52 PM
Here we go, I have a 44 gallon corner tank that has been running for oh 7-8 months. I want to get a clam but my lighting is a dual 175w 12k PFO with spider reflectors setup. Is that enough? About 50 lbs. rock and a 4 inch sand bed and hang on the back 4 gallon sump.

Adam
08/29/2001, 09:47 AM
Rob,

Your lighting is adequate, but there are other factors. Some other inhabitants may pick on a clam. Has your tank fully cycled, and are ammonia and nitrite down to zero? Skimming?

I would not recommend adding a clam to a tank that does not yet have any other inhabitants. You want to be sure that everything is stable as clams are pretty sensitive.

If you have some other critters in there, and water quality has been consistantly good, Derasas are good first clams. Try to get one at least 3", and beware that it will grow fast, demanding alot of calcium, and could outgrow your tank in a couple of years.

Anyway, good luck, and be patient. Most 7-8 month old tanks probably aren't ready for clams, especially if this is your first tank.

Adam

me_rob
08/29/2001, 12:22 PM
theres a few damsels. was planning on very few fish. it only skimms a little every once in a while. it has cycled. I was thinking that I would start with a derasa. this is not my first tank just first clam!:)