PDA

View Full Version : Best overflow for a Nano

Rafa_Sant
08/28/2001, 10:47 AM
HI!
Soon I'll be adding a sump and I'm looking for a overflow that don't take too much space in a 10g

TIA

Rafa

lakerfan
08/28/2001, 11:58 PM
I have been thinking about this also, and i haven't really found a tiny overflow box either. Me and my cousin have built a sump for his tank and he never got around to setting it up. I would love to have that sump back.

Lunchbucket
08/29/2001, 01:01 AM
why not just drill and install bulkheads w/ strainers?

later
Lunchbucket

Rafa_Sant
08/29/2001, 09:48 AM
Lunchbucket

Is there a way to drill a running tank without too much risk of breaking it ?

I've seen in other post a diamond drill bit , but I'm not so sure about the safety of this.

Have anybody done this before?

Thanks

Rafa

Lunchbucket
08/29/2001, 01:32 PM
yeah a full tank might suck. can you drain is 1/2 way. guess that could work but still might be a risk.

um, maybe use a small hot filter for an overflow. like incorperate it into the refugium so it sucks water into the refugium and have it gravity feed out. that will work w/ some tinckering

later
Lunchbucket

Nascar886
08/29/2001, 08:44 PM
Rafa-sant, I don't know if your tank is set up already? I just set up a 10gal nano myself and found nobody wanted to drill 1/8" glass. So I went and bought 1/4" glass for the bottom and had it drilled and then used 1/8" for the sides and then siliconed together, intstall my own spinoff of the durso and presto drilled nano with NO worries about lossing the siphon/air buildup witch I personally hated.

Lunchbucket
08/29/2001, 09:27 PM
sound really cool post some pics man!!

how hard to make your onw tank? or did you just replace the bottom? and how?

later
Lunchbucket

Rafa_Sant
08/30/2001, 08:08 AM
Well that's the problem, the Tank have being running for three years.
Maybe I'll need to buy another 10g tank have it drilled, and then move everything. Believe me, I don't want to do this, it'll be a lot of stress to the population.

Still don't know what to do? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Nascar886
08/30/2001, 07:13 PM
I just went to local glass supplier and gave the dimensions for each piece, they cut and sanded the edges, and drilled the bottom piece of course. I bought silicon from the hardware store and put together. Not to hard there are some sites that give some hints.
Oh I dont have anyway to post pics, sorry. By the way lunchbucket I see you are into bodybuilding, email me what supplements you use how long been working out etc.

Robert

king1522
09/02/2001, 10:58 PM
Rafa
I've asked the same question on other boards some time ago. As with your question, I got several replys. Most of them was "why don't I drill my tank?". For variious reasons, one of them being I already have it set up, I don't want to drill my tank. I just want a small overflow!! I suppose no one manufactures one small enough for a nano. At least, one that is not obtrusive. The only solution I've found is diy, but I'm not the greatest at diy. I haven't given up the ship yet. There is bound to be something out there. :D

Liu14
09/03/2001, 09:49 AM
i think you can ask chris from nano-reefs.com to make you a custom overflow for a nano.

eddie
09/25/2001, 08:46 PM
i have 4 ten gallon tanks that i had drilled at fish world in raliegh nc they only charge $5 a hole thats only $15 for each tank total then i installed 3/4 inch bulk heads and just used 3/4 stand pipes with the flared end up.i cut the strainer end of some power filter extenders and put them in the end of the pipe to keep snails out they work great .but for $50 you can get a cpr cs50 overflow and they barly take up any room

hEcToR1520
09/26/2001, 07:06 PM
You could drill a hole into the bottom of a power filter and attach the bulkhead down there. And if the flow of the filter is too high, the water will just go back to the tank. That's a little somethin i've been ponderin for some time.

Troutman
09/26/2001, 10:56 PM
If your main tank has been running and you don't want to tear it down, you could always put the sump above the tank. Then you can drill the sump, pump water out of the main tank up to it, and overflow back into the main tank. Just an idea.....