PDA

View Full Version : hood and fish

biomekanic
08/28/2001, 09:09 AM
Hi all,
I'm planning on setting up a 5 gallon nano, using AH Supply for the lighting. Any ideas on a good hood source, other than DIY?

Also, what kind of fish would be good for such a small system?

thanks!

damaris
08/30/2001, 12:50 PM
I don't know of anyone that sells a wooden-type canopy for an aga 5.5 gallon. I have looked all over the net for one. Finally I built my own, it's not the prettiest but it works. Just a simple box that sits on top of the tank. Good luck!

bigchili
08/30/2001, 01:00 PM
Most people frown on putting any fish in anything smaller than a 10 gallon. But if you read around the message board and the net you will get about 10000 different opinions.

This is mine -

The bio load from just one fish in a 5 gallon woud be big! but everything is controllable - It all depends on how much work you want to do. You would have to do weekly water changes of at least 25% or more - but for a 5 gallon that isn't much water or work. I still wouldn't try more than one though... I have seen some really cool clown/anemone 5 gallon tanks.

I have a ten gallon and as much as my wife want to i will NOT let her put a fish in it. I'm trying to keep mine as simple as possible.

damaris
08/30/2001, 01:14 PM
I saw bigchili's reply and thought I would throw my .02 in about a fish in a 5 gallon. My personal opinion is no fish in anything smaller than a 7 gallon bow, preferably a ten gallon. I know there are tons of people out there with fish in 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks. And when you look at the horrible conditions these guys are in at the LFS (tiny 6x6x6 inch cubes for clownfish at my LFS), a 5.5 gallon with nice live rock would be heaven for a clown. I personally kept a clown for over a year in a 5.5 gallon, but I was vigilant about water changes (twice a week 20%).

BigChili, I was curious about your comment of clownfish/anenome combos in 5 gallon tanks. I have been afraid to mention this on the boards, but I have a bubble tip anenome and a clown in my 10 gallon nano. I have had the clownfish for 2.5 years (he was in the 5.5 gallon for over a year) and the anenome for 1.5 years.

I know anenomes are best left in the ocean. I know they belong in large tanks. I NEVER planned on having one. But my husband and I went to dinner at his coworkers house. They had a saltwater tank. 35 gallon hex (that's over 2 feet tall) with ONE 15 watt NO bulb. No live rock. And this bubble tip anenome that "they had gotten a few weeks ago and it just hasn't been doing well since". I explained the issues and persuaded them to give me the anemome.

He has been in my 10 gallon nano ever since. It has about 15 lbs. of live rock. 2 x 32 watts power compact. He is right in the center of the tank. The only other corals are some pulsing xenia which I continually prune and trade in at the LFS. The anenome is king of the tank. He has grown considerably since I got him but he still has plenty of room.

Now I am not advocating for people to buy anenome's for small tanks, or to buy them period. But I felt in my situation that this was the best thing for him.

Now that you all know, I can post some pics of my tank without everyone flipping out!

biomekanic
08/31/2001, 12:17 PM
oh well, looks like DIY it is.
as for fish, I was thinking maybe a neon goby or 2, at most. turning it into a mantis tank would be a real trial ;)