PDA

View Full Version : Prarie Dog Fish

JPeDumont
08/27/2001, 07:20 PM
Hey everyone,
My 10g tank is cycled and has a few critters now, so i'm thinking about fish. I want to get a clown and maybe one more. I saw a fish once, i think it was a goby, that had burrowed a little hole and popped his head out of it, like a prarie dog. Any idea which fish this was? And would i work in a nano?

Thanks,
And i'll get pics of my new critters up soon.

JPeD

Ngiao
08/27/2001, 08:33 PM
Jawfish (yellow or pearly)? They dig burrows and pop out, esp. to eat. I have a yellow head in a 10 gallon and he seems to be doing ok - throws a lot of sand around when he decides to dig a new burrow though.

Troutman
08/29/2001, 01:13 PM
My Yellow Headed Jawfish (I call 'im Muppet) is a piece of work! He's constantly busy moving stuff around, while keeping a close eye on me!

JPeDumont
09/05/2001, 08:34 PM
Cool, I'm still thinking about the jawfish for my 10g tank... my sand bed is only 2 1/2 inches though, is that not enough? Should I get more sand?

Jon-Paul

Troutman
09/05/2001, 10:10 PM
Most people like to have at least 4 inches of sandbed for these little guys. I have 3 - 3.5 and he's doing fine. He dug out a little condo under a rock.

http://www.bigheadjedd.com/rc/nano/muppet2.JPG

Ngiao
09/05/2001, 10:49 PM
Nice photo, Troutman!

I have jawfish that my husband says looks like a muppet (although his name is Lemonhead). I enjoy the way jawfish seem aware of what is going on outside the tank. They all seem to have an eye on the whole room, not just the tank.

JPeDumont
09/05/2001, 11:10 PM
I only have some crabs and snails, and one small chunk of polyps. Would it bad to add more sand?