PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Northern WI?

redheaded_reefer
03/30/2004, 09:38 PM
Hello everyone. I am in Rhinelander and was wondering if there were any club members as far north as me.

BryanJ
04/06/2004, 01:09 AM
Wausau is the closest I have seen anyone living to you. Although alot of us make occasional trips to Fosters and Smith and now the live aquaria outlet.

04/06/2004, 10:24 AM
Yep, I live in Kronenwetter...suburb of Wausau.....I beleive Condiman is in Medford.

Sticky.

redheaded_reefer
04/08/2004, 09:59 AM
Sticky,

Ever go to Roe's Pet and Garden on 3rd ave in Wausau?

lorifish
04/11/2004, 10:45 PM
where is the live aquaria outlet

BryanJ
04/11/2004, 10:47 PM
Rhinelander but I don't have the exact address.

GuidoSarduchi
04/12/2004, 02:59 AM
That outlet store is the closest pet store of any decency near me.

Central Wisconsin boy howdy!!!

redheaded_reefer
04/12/2004, 04:09 AM
The outlet store is near the airport off of HWY 8. If you want directions let me know. I should have stockin that place! LOL

lorifish
04/12/2004, 05:34 PM
have you found some nice things there? on line there prices look good

redheaded_reefer
04/12/2004, 07:40 PM
Well just about everything I have except my LR I got from there. Including equipment. The live stock prices in the store are a bit more than online but they have to mark them up to cover the cost of maintaining them in the store. I have been happy with everything I have gotten there. The only problem I have had is 1 maroon gold striped clown died but I got my money back. I would rather pay a few bucks more and buy in the store than risk shipping. Done that once and Fedex was a real pain. They get shipments on Wednsdays and I usually go in to see what they got. It is pretty cool.

lorifish
04/12/2004, 07:43 PM
do they also sell live rock there?

redheaded_reefer
04/12/2004, 07:51 PM
They are in the process of getting some ready. I have been asking since they opened the new store and they haven't had the man power or space to cure it until recently. Hopefully they will have some soon.

lorifish
04/12/2004, 08:32 PM
thanks so much!! what fish do you have in your tank...plans for any live corals?

04/12/2004, 09:51 PM
Redheaded reefer, my mom once told me if I do not have anything nice to say not to say anything at all......that would be my report for Roe Pet and Garden......Petco is at the same standard as them as the Petco in Wausau has started to carry saltwater now.

My place for live stock.....Gooch's Corals...best stuff I have seen...affordable prices.:)

redheaded_reefer
04/13/2004, 09:15 AM
Well right now I do not have any fish. My clown had ick and died quickly. So I am waiting the 4-6 weeks for my tank to be ick-free before putting more fish in there. I am planning Mandarin Dragonettes (2) and a pair of clowns but not marrons. My corals are: 1 large toadstool, 1 xenia, 1 green brain, a colony of star polyps, several blue mushrooms, 2 green montiporas, 1 colony of galaxea, 2 anemones, a pair of pep shrimp, 1 emerald crab, various hermits and snails, 1 feather duster, 1 sand sifting star, and 1 electric flame scallop. I went to Roe's a week ago and was so disappointed. Fish were sick and was not impressed with their corals. I have to go to Milwaukee the 21th so I may look into stores down there and hit Gooch's on the way back. I keep hearing good stuff about them so I want to satisify my curiousity. :D

redheaded_reefer
04/13/2004, 09:38 AM
BraynJ,

I LOVE your avatar! Great pic. I had that emailed to me once and laughed my butt off at that one!

pplano
04/13/2004, 02:13 PM
I agree with redheaded reefer, roe's is so overpriced it is rediculous! petco, well if you've seen their tanks, enough said! I drove yesterday up to Live Aquaria and got a bulb anenome for 31.98, a frag of star polyps (purple) $5.99 and a mushroom rock that has an encrusting polyp on it (don't know what it is ) but it also had 6 other small mushrooms on it for $20. I got my water proof end caps there a couple weeks ago and upgraded my lighting....I am glad that store is not any closer because I would be spending too much money! but I love it! :) From weston, WI...see yas! Oh, any fish swaps in the area, or coral swaps or anything like that? Thanks!
Nanner

lorifish
04/13/2004, 07:20 PM
live aquaria sounds pretty cool. I will have to see how far away it would be for me

redheaded_reefer
04/14/2004, 07:15 AM
I recently did a swap with a guy from WI Dells. We met half way in Plover. I had a large arrow crab that needed a new home and he swapped me some blue mushrooms. I was a good trade. It seems like it is hard to find people from this far north. I hope to find people on here.

04/14/2004, 09:32 AM
PM me. I have some zoo's I would be willing to trade and a massive amount of star polyps. I am in Wausau.

Sticky.

pplano
04/14/2004, 09:34 AM
well I usually end up in that area once every 2 months...if you are lookin for something, let me know, but you have more options up there than I do down here...my tank is only 5 months old, so don't have much to swap yet...but will definately do so in the future! thanks!

pplano
04/14/2004, 10:15 AM
how do I phone you? I can't even email you in your profile...also new to this site..maybe i'm lookin' in the wrong spot!? Help?
Thanks!

04/14/2004, 10:38 AM
On my post just click on the pm with the note pad. That way you can send me a private message.

redheaded_reefer
04/14/2004, 07:45 PM
BTW I am in search of some macro algae. With copepods would be great. Anyone have any? caulerpa and/or halimeda are what I am looking for.

Scorched_Ice7
04/15/2004, 01:19 AM
Roes doesnt have good Live Rock either, it looks like dark grey base rock in big balls (Look at his moray tank)

I hope Foster and Smith get there LR in soon, their display tanks are looking good, but they need some vats or something. I know many people that go up there and someone at the outlet store said they were unprepared for the great demand of SW livestock and goods in Wi. Who else really sells anyway except Petco and the overpriced LFSs?

redheaded_reefer
04/15/2004, 09:38 AM
I would agree that they were unprepared. But they are willing to try to get what you want. I talked to someone a couple weeks ago and they have some LR curing now. I remember her telling me how bad it was smelling in the room where they were curing it. SO I guess it is a matter of time.

ginshun
05/10/2004, 01:55 PM
I am in Merrill, so that is pretty close to some of you guys. I am very new to the hobby, and have only had my tank set up for a week. It is cycling right now with a damsel and some live rock.

I was at Foster and Smith in Rhinlander last Saturday (May 8) and they do in fact have live rock for sale. I bought a small amount, just one 12lb chunk for my tank. They have a couple of large tubs with LR in the back room. If I had to guess, I would say there was roughly a couple hundred lbs that was cured and ready to go, and there was another tub the same size, I am sure with more, that they said would be done in a few weeks. $5.99/lb, pretty good price compared to anyone else around that sells it.

goavs21
05/12/2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by redheaded_reefer
I am in Rhinelander and was wondering if there were any club members as far north as me.

Might want to check us out if you are ever heading toward Superior... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=199

Nice frag demo planned for our May 22nd meeting.

Joe

RoyalDana
05/13/2004, 09:22 AM
I am in Eau Claire area

n3v3r1and
05/14/2004, 08:58 PM
yo redheaded im in rhinelander as well

redheaded_reefer
05/16/2004, 07:11 PM
N3 cool to see someone else is here i Rhinelander. Do you go to Foster and Smith as much as I do? LOL

Scorched_Ice7
05/17/2004, 10:36 AM
I wish I didnt live a 2 hour drive away. I would like to go there more often but with gas costing an arm and a leg, and another leg! I can only make the trip once a month or so. :(