PDA

View Full Version : Manis shrimp any takers

dvlhzdu
03/27/2004, 09:07 AM
Well he has been in the tank since the start with the only loss being hermits and snails. I had a live an let live attitude until last night when I came home to find my 4" cleaner shrimp had been taken out. I'm going hunting.

Before this critter receives the fate he deserves I thought I would ask if any one wants him. If not Hasta Luega Baby!!!

MadTownMax
03/29/2004, 09:48 AM
If no one else is interested, I'll take it, I've been looking for something cool for my refugium. LMK what you think

dvlhzdu
03/29/2004, 10:01 AM
I will let you know when he is captured.

MadTownMax
03/30/2004, 09:26 AM
great!

Did you get my PM?

if you have big problems getting it out, but you know what rock it is in, maybe we could just exchange LR, I have some pretty nice pieces.

dvlhzdu
03/31/2004, 08:55 AM
No because of course he is in a piece at the bottom of the reef and I would have to take it all apart to get it out. I think I will have it by Sat morning. I just need a night to stay up late and hunt him down. Thanks for the offer.
Tom

MadTownMax
04/19/2004, 12:44 PM
any news on the mantis. I'll be bringing some frags tonight so I'll have a container there anyway just in case.

-Nick

dvlhzdu
04/19/2004, 02:48 PM
SOB is not to be found I have had a trap in the tank for 2 weeks and stayed up 3 nights to try and nail him with no luck. I am on vacation for a bit so I will try again on my return.

Tom

MadTownMax
04/19/2004, 03:14 PM
I don't know what kind of trap you're using, but I've heard of people having good luck using a plastic glass with some krill in it, then covering one end with plastic wrap with some holes and a rubber band to hold it on - the pulling the cup out after the mantis has gone in - personally I think that it would be more easily done with a lenght of PVC capped at one end - but you'd still have to wait for the little bugger to go inside - the thread that mentioned this tried using one of those little critter-keepers from a pet store first and the mantis instantly blew-out the corner and went back to it's home in the rocks - so using something tough and thick is in order.

if he's small enough to fit through the top of a 2-liter soda bottle (or smaller bottle - if that would fit better in your rock structure) you could try cutting the top off and inverting the top back inside the bottle, securing it in with fishing line or something.... and then set it up at an angle with the bottom in the sand and the opeining near where the mantis has it's home, again with some krill or some other tastey morsel in the bottom, and probably a little sand to hold it down - I used to use a trap like this to catch minnows for fishing when I was younger and once they're inside they have no clue how to get back out due to the small inlet, even more so with something that can't swim or crawl up the steep sides.

good luck, HTH

-Nick

dvlhzdu
04/21/2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks I have "the Trap" on loan. And I could have taken every fish, snail, crab, shrimp out of my tank individually, at least twice, since starting this adventure.
Tom

Dr.King
04/25/2004, 08:50 PM
If you know where his hole is located you can try the following. Take a stick and probe his hole for 10-20 minutes. He will eventually swim out of the hole. Make sure you have a net waiting nearby. When mantis shrimp decidie to kick out a neighboring mantis they harrass it in this manor. How big is the mantis? You will know if you have the correct hole because him will attack the stick. I had a 2" mantis that beat the hell out of a chopstick, actually breaking the tip off.