PDA

View Full Version : home depot

liquidblueman
03/27/2004, 03:30 AM
i've been researching as many of you have seen..

went to a couple of home depot for southdown sand...
out of luck...

n e of you know where i can get them ?

jackson6745
03/30/2004, 07:37 PM
Try the one on exit 14 off the belt

gev
04/02/2004, 07:18 PM
It's available in Staten Island at the one near the Verazanno bridge (take the Clove Road exit and turn right at Richmond (or is it Targee?)

Originally posted by liquidblueman
i've been researching as many of you have seen..

went to a couple of home depot for southdown sand...
out of luck...

n e of you know where i can get them ?

olemos
04/02/2004, 07:26 PM
what do these bag look like do thay say southdown on them ?

liquidblueman
04/04/2004, 02:37 PM
just went to the HD in exit 14... the one in the mall right ??/
they ddin't have it

man !! i went to at least 5 HD and i couldn't find them
all i see is that play sand with that lil gurl on it

liquidblueman
04/04/2004, 11:54 PM
MAN !! i'm workin on a tight budget here...
the southdown sand would really free my ways

if u guys see them PLEASE tell me

rvales
04/14/2004, 06:29 PM
I kNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE HOME DEPOTS DOWN HERE IN CHERRY HILL AND MT LAUREL NJ HAVE THE SAND. MY TANKS ARE FULL OF THE STUFF. TRY CALLING BEFORE HEADING OUT THEY MAY EVEN ORDER IT FOR YOU. THE BAGS DO SAY SOUTHDOWN NO SILICA ON THEM AND THE SAND IS VERY WHITE. FROM AN EX-BROOKLYNITE TO ANOTHER. GOOD LUCK

liquidblueman
04/14/2004, 06:39 PM
how far is cherry hill from brooklyn ?

rvales
04/14/2004, 07:23 PM
It takes about an hour. What I was trying to say is call your local Home Depot and have them order it for you. They will also check there computer for you to see who has it in stock.

liquidblueman
04/14/2004, 07:37 PM
can you give me the SKU#

rvales
04/14/2004, 07:51 PM
Just ask them for the carribean white sand without silica by SouthDown.
SKU # 578-819
UPC # 0-210026-16865-5
Model # 420-100

rvales
04/14/2004, 07:55 PM
I found a web sight with the info your looking for
http://www.universitytesting.com/southdown.htm

gev
04/14/2004, 10:00 PM
MAN !! i'm workin on a tight budget here...
the southdown sand would really free my ways

if u guys see them PLEASE tell me

I checked today. The home depot on Staten Island (the one near the Verrazanno, not the one near the Goethels) has Tropical PlaySand by Oldcastle. This is the same sand from the same manufacturer, bagged by a different company. It even has the little boy on a blue background.

They have about half a pallet left. It's $4.99 per 50lb bag.

To get to the home depot from brooklyn, cross the Verrazanno bridge and get off at the Clove road exit. Make your first right after the exit (immediately after the exit - take the little triangle and turn right at the light). Travel down this road about 4 blocks.

gev
04/14/2004, 10:07 PM
WHOOPS, that's your first RIGHT after the exit, not left. You can either take the little triangle and turn right at the light, or just turn right at the service road's light.

Originally posted by gev
I checked today. The home depot on Staten Island (the one near the Verrazanno, not the one near the Goethels) has Tropical PlaySand by Oldcastle. This is the same sand from the same manufacturer, bagged by a different company. It even has the little boy on a blue background.

To get to the home depot from brooklyn, cross the Verrazanno bridge and get off at the Clove road exit. Make your first left after the exit (RIGHT after the exit). Travel down this road about 4 blocks.

liquidblueman
04/15/2004, 10:27 AM
hey thanx a lot
i just went there..

got 4 bags
thanx a bunch
i was planning to go2 morristown nj to get it lol
thanx for the trip

gev
04/15/2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by gev

Make that 1 and 1/2 pallets.

liquidblueman
04/15/2004, 07:35 PM
yeh theres 1 and a half
but then i looked outside at the loading dock and there was another.. so thats 2 and a half i guess

anyways 2 of the 4 bags i got had holes in them..
tried to look for no hole bags but after searching and searching...
i picked out the best looking bags and they still got holes

gev
04/15/2004, 10:22 PM
yeh theres 1 and a half
but then i looked outside at the loading dock and there was another.. so thats 2 and a half i guess

anyways 2 of the 4 bags i got had holes in them..
tried to look for no hole bags but after searching and searching...
i picked out the best looking bags and they still got holes

Bring a trashbag to put them in?

I was able to find 4 with no holes (then the checkout clerk punctured one - I swapped it - you must have bought that one :D ).

liquidblueman
04/16/2004, 06:55 AM
well there were a lot of bags with holes..
i picked one up and there was a dirtslide somewhere in the back
lol

but they were small holes

xoomer
05/08/2004, 08:11 PM
Is this sand good for freshwater tanks? Do you just rinse the sand in a bucket with a garden hose or do you guys boil it?

Please Reply

Bernard
(xoomer)

gev
05/08/2004, 09:41 PM
NO NO NO. Do not use this sand for a freshwater tank. It's made of crushed coral. This will raise the PH of the water to about 8.4 or so. This is good for saltwater fish, but bad for freshwater ones (except some rift lake cichlids).

You want to use silica sand instead (made of quartz). It is chemically inert.

Of course, you need to consider whether sand is the best choice for a freshwater tank anyway. It will harm Cory cats and the like.

Originally posted by xoomer
Is this sand good for freshwater tanks? Do you just rinse the sand in a bucket with a garden hose or do you guys boil it?

Please Reply

Bernard
(xoomer)

gev
05/08/2004, 09:43 PM
Do you just rinse the sand in a bucket with a garden hose or do you guys boil it?

Actually, we just dump it into the tank and wait a few hours for the milkshake effect to subside.

xoomer
05/09/2004, 12:15 PM
Ok I purchased silica sand and boiled most of it (100lbs).

The only thing I don't understand is why would it hurt cory cats. I read in the books that smooth (sandy) substrate should be provided for them so that they can burrow and wouldn't hurt their barbels in search for left overs. I was actually going to put about 12 of these guys in the tank.

Is sand band for cory cats only or all bottom feeders. I will have about half of the tank covered with sand and other half with ECO-Complete, thats where the plants are going to be planted.

gev
05/10/2004, 08:24 AM
I *thought* that I read somewhere that the sand grains would irritate their gills, but now I can't find anything about it. Sand and mud have very different abrasive properties.

From what I've been able to find, you should be ok with the sand and the cats.

Ok I purchased silica sand and boiled most of it (100lbs).

The only thing I don't understand is why would it hurt cory cats. I read in the books that smooth (sandy) substrate should be provided for them so that they can burrow and wouldn't hurt their barbels in search for left overs. I was actually going to put about 12 of these guys in the tank.

Is sand band for cory cats only or all bottom feeders. I will have about half of the tank covered with sand and other half with ECO-Complete, thats where the plants are going to be planted.