PDA

View Full Version : cucumbers,anybody use them?

fishdoc11
03/25/2004, 11:24 PM
Hey yall,
Thinking about putting a tiger cucumber in my 75 to keep the brown from forming on top of my sand since I took out the blue legs. What are yall's experiences and are the tigers(or Caribbean species in general) really not toxic?
thanks, Chris

Sir Knight
03/26/2004, 12:39 AM
Chris,
I do know that Holothuria Thomasi ( tiger tail cuke) are not as toxic as say sea apples, but they do get big, up to I think 4'.

Here is an article I found that may help.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/invert.htm

hope this helps

fishdoc11
03/26/2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks Joe. I'm glad Seigel started that magazine. I don't allways get a chance to read it though. Looks like I need to do a little more research on a particular species(one that does'nt grow to 4')and what's available in my 2 local lfs and I'll be ok.
thanks, Chris

rcmike
03/26/2004, 10:14 AM
I have one that I got as part of a clean up kit several years ago. He is about 6" long. I am not sure exactly what species he is but he comes out every evening and vaccumes up the sand. I know he is some sort of Holothuria, but not sure which one. He ain't the most purdy critter though.

fishdoc11
03/26/2004, 10:23 AM
I remember seeing him. It's good to know he's only gotten that big in several years. Your right in that I bet only his momma thinks he's a handsome one.
thanks, Chris

coralreefing
03/26/2004, 12:54 PM
I have 3 cukes, 1 tiger tail & 2 un-named carribean. I had a hairy crab kill one early on & saw no ill effects.

Chris

reewik
03/26/2004, 02:45 PM
Why did you remove all your hermit crabs?

coralreefing
03/26/2004, 02:49 PM
I would add that a fighting conch works well for stirring the sand bed.

Chris

fishdoc11
03/26/2004, 04:27 PM
I had 2 ORA fighting conchs a long time ago and something kept them in their shells until they eventually died. One of the mysterious "sand dwelling deaths" in my 75. I wish I could keep them, maybe I will try again someday. I removed my hermits because I bought a Deresa and I don't want to take any chances. Those particular blue legs have gotten very large and I have caught several of them killing snails. In fact I put 2 down the garbage disposal last night after I caught them again in my 55 killing a snail. It seems like once they get a taste for snail they never go back to algae. I would have given them away but I am having a flatworm outbreak in my 55 right now. By the way if any body wants 6-8 snail killing blue legs and a few hitchiking flatworms let me know.
Chris

gflat65
03/26/2004, 07:35 PM
I'll take some crabs:) I need durable clean up critters for my fish tank. Neither the wrasse nor the lion have messed with the monster that's in there now.

SRA4031
03/26/2004, 07:52 PM
I will take them too. I ment to ask when I was there why you was getting shut of them. I do not have as near as many as I need.

fishdoc11
03/26/2004, 09:28 PM
These are far from monsters, unless you are an astrea. Since you called them first they are yours Gflat. I will not guarantee I can find them all whenever you come to pick them up however. PM me.
Chris

Sir Knight
03/27/2004, 12:29 AM
Hey Chris,
I have the new book called "Reef invertebrates" written by Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner. I can bring it to the meeting in April and you can borrow if if you would like. It has some pretty good info on cuke's

Let me know

fishdoc11
03/27/2004, 08:51 AM
That would be great Joe, thanks!
Chris

iReef
03/29/2004, 02:26 PM
FishDoc
I have two tiger tail cucumbers. I bought a small one about a year ago and it divided so now I have two. They don't seem to cause any problems. I think they are a good addition to a tank.
iReef

randythereefer
03/30/2004, 02:30 PM
I have a tiger tail cucumber too. My first one didn't acclimate well. No ill effects from the first one's death. The second one is alive and strong and about 18 inches long and it keeps growing.